• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OPOSx Question

MrSalumi

Hey everyone. I am having a hell of a time getting my Opos to work properly. Here are the details.. I am printing on a Roland Soljet2, Using Wasatch to RIP and create registration marks, and cutting on a Summa S140d.

So my issue is that I load my print in to the cutter and press "actions -> Media Alignment", It prompts me to set the knife over the first mark. Which I do.. Then it searches and finds the first mark. It then starts looking for a mark about an inch up from the first mark.. Almost like it's looking for the OPOSxy line. Once it doesn't find the next mark it prompts me to set the knife over the unfound mark, which I do. It doesnt find it again and then it errors out.

Is there anyone who uses Wasatch to Cut with a S Series Summa? Any ideas if I am missing something? PS my alignment mode is set to OPOSx and the OPOS parameters are at the minimum of 32mm and I have tried 2 and 4 number of marks..

ARGH!!!! Thanks for the help!

MrSalumi

To all those interested I found out that the problem was that I was calculating the OPOS mark interval in CM not MM so after adjusting the parameters to 300mm instead of 30mm it read the marks perfectly.

Next question is that once it's done reading the marks it sets to what I think is an origin point. I send the file from wasatch to the summa AFTER it's set to origin and it's still cutting about a half inch to the right.

Any ideas?

FrankW

I don't understand why you set up the values manually? Regularly you need to set up the Summa as a contour cutter in wasatch. Then Wasatch will place the OPOS-Markers automatically AND will place the values of the markers into the plot file which will be uploaded automatically when sending the file. As soon as sending the file, you will be automatically asked to set the knife tip to the first marker.

I think there is something completely wrong with your workflow?

MrSalumi

Frank.. To be honest I think you are right.

The Summa is set up as a contour cutter properly in Wasatch. Wasatch successfully creates the marks but when I send the file to the Summa it does not prompt me to set the knife on the first mark. It just starts cutting from wherever the origin point was on the vinyl when I loaded the roll.

Damn this thing.. Do you use wasatch Frank? If so maybe I can PM you to see how your contour cutter is setup in wasatch and what your workflow looks like?

FrankW

I currently don't use wasatch. I have used and configured it sometimes in the past with contour cutting on summas too, but I don't know what could be the problem with your installation. Were do you get the values you set manually? It's the wrong way to measure it at the print, you need to have the "have to be"-values, not the "on the print"-values to let OPOS work correctly.

Bly

I don't use Wasatch either.
I tried cutting out of Onyx and after a couple of mysterious fails decided to use Winplot.
It's a bit more work setting up the art but works flawlessly.
Place the rego marks in Illustrator, print from the RIP then cut from Winplot.

MrSalumi

Frank, Thanks for your input.. I'm getting the value by measuring the distance between actual registration marks on the print. I know this is the wrong way ;(

Bly, I was kind of half thinking that I might need to resort to Winplot. I guess it's only one more piece of software I need to learn.. It's funny how you get to be so good at a bunch of different things but never a master of any, in this business. :)

Thanks for your help!

MrSalumi

I Finally sort of figured it out. I called Phil at Summa and he was VERY helpful. After a few failed attempts I spoke with a tech and he walked me through setting up winplot. After a successful test cut I am off and running!! Thanks SUMMA guys! (another reason to buy a summa)

Turns out our emulation mode was set incorrectly.. Who knew?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good to hear you are up and cutting, Sal! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help in the future.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

MikeD

Try "Summa Barcode" for the mark type.
Load the print onto the plotter then (on the touch screen) tap "Actions" > "Load" > "Summa Barcode." The plotter will scan the barcode and then poll Wasatch for the appropriate cut job from the queue. There is a barcode in front of the layout as well as behind it, so you can print an entire roll of layouts and then remove the take-up roll from the printer and load in into the Summa backwards and the barcode info will inform the plotter to cut the job backwards.
After it cuts the job it will scan for the next barcode and keep cutting job after job until the roll is processed.
Unattended production aside from queuing up all the jobs and moving the roll from the printer to the plotter.
Set the plotter to cut off the leaf after each job, or use a take-up reel on the plotter.

Summa is the best part of our workflow! I wish they would author a RIP that would drive a JV33, but they're mainly focused on plotting and thermal resin printing. Their support is second to none, and I can't recall any technical problems with the plotters that weren't user error after using them for many years.