• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Options for getting large patterns digitized?

netsol

we modified an old polaroid copy stand.
changed the angle of the upright so we cando a large image.
added a digial camera with network capability and a good hdmi monitor.

probably my best decision, though was buying a OCE' colorwave 300 on ebay
it scans 44" originals and outputs jpg or pdf.

i don't think it will ever print reliably (canon/OCE' treats their customers the same way verizon treats clients,
if you know what i mean, you get tired of begging for parts)

but, you can't beat 44" passthrough scanning for under $1000

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
This old thread got revived so I’ll add my two cents…and I’ve shared it on similar threads before.

One of my main tasks is doing exactly what the OP was trying to do. I’ve tried all the methods mentioned. Anything involving taking pictures of object you are templating is the least accurate but works if you only need like around 98% accuracy. That kind of accuracy is acceptable for most signage or graphics. Where it isn’t acceptable is when you are making vehicle specific graphics that follow body lines and you want to match an oem look. For this you need large format scanning that is adequate for the size template you have. If you can get away with 2-4 11x17 sheets that you digitally stitch together then an 11x17 scanner works. If it requires more sheets than that then you are losing the accuracy you want and should just keep it one large sheet and take it to get scanned. Office Max, Office Depot, reprographics companies, surveying/engineering/architecture companies, drafting companies…all of them most likely have a scanner big enough and charge very little. It’s well worth the drive and few dollars it’ll cost to have it done. The result is highly accurate and will save you time on the digitizing and tweaking of the pattern because it’s pretty much perfect from the start.

Before you scan it make sure to draw a long horizontal and vertical line on the sheet and mark out specific distances so you can perfectly scale that scanned image to the size of the actual sheet. My scanned sheets come in at about 99.8% the actual sheet so I take the extra step and scale it perfectly. This matters more the larger size you are doing.

JBurton

Signtologist
StuffMadeHere on youtube has a great video on this lens distortion for anyone interested, I highly recommend his videos, he does some insane engineering. If you're going to devote a camera to reproducing patterns, you want a telecentric lens.