• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 3164/3165?

J

john1

Seen a sticker i did about 5 years ago when i started on a car today. It was printed on 3651 and overlamed with 210 gloss. The sticker literally was black and peeling up. It was on a rear window of a car so the sun hit it pretty good.

Is this normal lol

Kinda has me second thinking calendered but then again 5 years was a while.

mudmedia

Ive always used oracal 751 for my cut vinyl stuff...But been really iffy about their printed material...I had a sample roll of I believe 3951 (Not sure if that code is accurate) but it was their wrap material and the adhesive seemed really agressive compared to the 3m 180 that i use...Is it just me or is that to be true? 3m has never steered me wrong even though it is a bit more expensive Im just curious if stepping off the 3m name is a bad move to try to save myself and clients a few bucks or stick to what i know again I havent had any problems with 3m just not sure if anything will lay down like it. Maybe Josh could fill me in I think he is a big oracal guy.

OlsonSigns601

Used to use 3651 exclusively for almost all of our printed flat signs, but it got to be such a pain getting it to lay down especially with a full bleed that we decided to spend a few extra pennies and get the 3165RA.

3165RA has been so much nicer to work with.

As for the 3651, I've had a sticker on my car for 3 years now, Printed with my Mutoh VJ on 3651 not laminated and its still in pretty good shape still. I'm sure the colors are faded if you compared it to a newly printed one, but for the most part, it does not look faded.

J

john1

Used to use 3651 exclusively for almost all of our printed flat signs, but it got to be such a pain getting it to lay down especially with a full bleed that we decided to spend a few extra pennies and get the 3165RA.

3165RA has been so much nicer to work with.

As for the 3651, I've had a sticker on my car for 3 years now, Printed with my Mutoh VJ on 3651 not laminated and its still in pretty good shape still. I'm sure the colors are faded if you compared it to a newly printed one, but for the most part, it does not look faded.

Thats the weird part, I literally have a sticker out there unlaminated thats a good 4 years old and it looks good. Barely faded, then this laminated one is black and brown. Must be the 210 or something.

OlsonSigns601

Thats the weird part, I literally have a sticker out there unlaminated thats a good 4 years old and it looks good. Barely faded, then this laminated one is black and brown. Must be the 210 or something.

Could be. I went out walking with the family yesterday around the local High School where we have some advertising signs for local businesses up around the football field.

They were all perfect and made out of 651 or 3651 print except for the one that had metallic vinyl on it. it was like it got to hot and started to burn itself. It looked like someone took a blow torch to the lettering.

msenjur

sorry for waking up so old post...

but, i have to cover some windows with white vinly, and there are some stains on inside, so grey adeshive would be great, that stains wont be visibile.

I wonder if 3165, non-printed, not laminated would be ok? Would laminate extend lifetime of vinyl even if it is unprinted?

or, what other vinyl could i use? from oracal.

Signed Out

They are the same material. 3164 has a clear water based permanent adhesive and 3165 has a gray solvent based permanent adhesive. 3165 also comes with a rapid air version for easier application. FYI 3651 is the digital version of 651. I hope this helps.

I think 3651 is the comparable to 651, not 3165. We use quite a bit of 3651/210 for cheap signs and decals. We step up to 3551/290 if the signs are to be long term outdoor signs.