• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 for trailers

aerial

QCB
Hi I am new here. I worked at a large format printers, where I assisted with the installs.

I have a 16' flat sided trailer, no rivets. I need to cover the bottom 3 feet with black vinyl and add some white lettering over top. I have a $500 budget, and I am only doing this as a favor (no good deed goes unpunished)

The trailer is not new, has dings in it and may not be in service for 5 years, but who knows?

I would like to use calendared vinyl to wrap the black to save some bucks. Oracal's web site says that 651 has "adhered to steel, no shrinkage in cross direction, in length <.016". Is this true in real life?

I have read all the pros and cons. According to the Oracal, their calendared vinyl is much improved. Opinions appreciated.

CanuckSigns

Short answer, it will work, but the proper way to do this is to use cast vinyl, the 751 isn't all that much more expensive than 651.

But if your customer has given you a firm budget, explain that the amount they gave you is not enough to do the job properly, and as a result, you will not stand behind the product if it fails. If they are cool with it, go for it.

OlsonSigns601

We've used 651 and still do.

Trucks that have been lettered with 651 still have the vinyl on it, its not falling off or faded.

However: It does show some small cracks in spots like where the points meet on some letters such as the E & T. My guess is that since it did shrink a little that it started to pull a little causing it to have some hairline cracks.

This is based off first hand experience as we just removed the vinyl off the truck as our customer is getting a new truck and was happy with how well it held up.

751 is better yes, but it does cost more. $100 more per 50yrd roll.

Here was the truck:

Attachments

• SeekYourGeek.jpg
    SeekYourGeek.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 230

Pro Image

651 will work just fine.....Ive got Trucks and Signs made with it that over 10 years old and still look great.....

Its not like your using AVERY.........LOL....

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I used 651 on these trailers. The first ones were in 2001 and the last were in 2005. I randomly came across one of the trailers last fall and snapped these pics.

Attachments

• hatch1.jpg
    hatch1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 269
  • hatch2.jpg
    hatch2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 262

aerial

QCB
Thanks Think for the pics. I was planning on cutting the vinyl at the seams to avoid bridging.

I have been on some nightmare wrap removals, mostly unlaminated bus wraps. Is it safe to say that removing cast is easier than calendared? That would be a deal breaker.

Good advise all. many thanks.

Attachments

• acme.jpg
    acme.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 221

petepaz

I used 651 on these trailers. The first ones were in 2001 and the last were in 2005. I randomly came across one of the trailers last fall and snapped these pics.

thinksigns, i use 651 on similar job and i have had that same issue so i started cutting the letters on the edges of the alum panels. they may shrink a little but that's as bad as it gets. it doesn't pull up like in you pick.

on the 651 i use it all the time and no issues except on the hoods of trucks. between the sun and the engine heat they last about two years. on the sides i have jobs over 5 years old with no issues. all jobs will vary depending on weathering and pressure washing

HulkSmash

Thanks Think for the pics. I was planning on cutting the vinyl at the seams to avoid bridging.

I have been on some nightmare wrap removals, mostly unlaminated bus wraps. Is it safe to say that removing cast is easier than calendared? That would be a deal breaker.

Good advise all. many thanks.

Please use cast vinyl for this install. Or at least if you plan on getting more wrap work. Calendered vinyl isn't the right stuff.

aerial

QCB
The vote is 2 for cast, 2 for calendared, and 2 you gets what you pay for.
I will inform my client of the pitfalls, and let him decide if he can anty up for the better vinyl.

You are a fun group, and much less hostile than some other forums.
thanks to all.

ICeMAnAbk

Hi I am new here. I worked at a large format printers, where I assisted with the installs.

I have a 16' flat sided trailer, no rivets. I need to cover the bottom 3 feet with black vinyl and add some white lettering over top. I have a $500 budget, and I am only doing this as a favor (no good deed goes unpunished)

The trailer is not new, has dings in it and may not be in service for 5 years, but who knows?

I would like to use calendared vinyl to wrap the black to save some bucks. Oracal's web site says that 651 has "adhered to steel, no shrinkage in cross direction, in length <.016". Is this true in real life?

I have read all the pros and cons. According to the Oracal, their calendared vinyl is much improved. Opinions appreciated.

I used 651 for years. I know some prefer cast on any vehicle app, which is recommended, but I did a lot of cheap lettering jobs with 651, and inall occassions, never had an issue. 5+yrs some signs had a small amount of shrinkage after direct sunlight for years, plus the below zero cold in PA. never had an issue....

Though, if you're going over multiple panels, There is a pic here of the result from not cutting on the edge where the vinyl overlaps. Best to cut on the edge of the panel to avoid this. The only time you really need 751 is when you're possibly putting the vinyl over a contoured surface, with either a general curve or dips in it. Then I'd suggest either having the customer sign a paper knowing full of what might happen later down the line, or just putting the better stuff on it (751).

651 even though it's calandered vinyl, is pretty good stuff. I did a graphic back in 2002 with 651, on the side of a riveted truck, sides were all wavey (The metal). Graphic was around 8ft x 8ft. Truck sits outside all year in the sun/snow. The vinyl to this day (10yrs later) was still good. Next time I go back to Pennsylvania, Ill take a picture for the non believers :p

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha....... you guys are dumb. Something like this, you get a $2.00 roll of painter's tape, $3.00 roller and a quart of oil-based black paint, put the tape on the truck and roller coat the paint on both sides.

Cost is about $50.00 tops plus about 2 hours of prep and paint time.

In this weather... anywhere USA, let it dry over night and the next day apply white vinyl.

You do the math. A lot of less time, materials costs and possible go-wrongs.

aerial

QCB
Watson, he is a nice guy and does A quality work. He is trying to get back on his feet after a run of bad luck, and doesn't have money to burn. I am just trying to get the most bang for the buck. It's always good to save money, as long as it doesn't come back to bite you.

Opinions on whether calendared material is appropriate for some utility trailer installations seem to be evenly split. I have seen claims that Oracal in particular has much improved its calendared vinyl in recent years. It is very helpful to read opinions from actual users. Never too late to rehash an old subject.

HulkSmash

Watson, he is a nice guy and does A quality work. He is trying to get back on his feet after a run of bad luck, and doesn't have money to burn. I am just trying to get the most bang for the buck. It's always good to save money, as long as it doesn't come back to bite you.

Opinions on whether calendared material is appropriate for some utility trailer installations seem to be evenly split. I have seen claims that Oracal in particular has much improved its calendared vinyl in recent years. It is very helpful to read opinions from actual users. Never too late to rehash an old subject.

I won't do a wrap in calendered. 1st, it's awful to install.
2nd, it doesn't last. Don't want my name on something like that.

CanuckSigns

Ha....... you guys are dumb. Something like this, you get a $2.00 roll of painter's tape, $3.00 roller and a quart of oil-based black paint, put the tape on the truck and roller coat the paint on both sides.

Cost is about $50.00 tops plus about 2 hours of prep and paint time.

In this weather... anywhere USA, let it dry over night and the next day apply white vinyl.

You do the math. A lot of less time, materials costs and possible go-wrongs.

How is that cheaper or quicker than putting down a 36" wide strip of 751 cast?

Material cost - 36" x 16' x 2 pcs - about $50 or so
Time to install - about an hour TOPS

With a conservative shop rate of $60 an hour, painting it like you said would cost $170, vinyl would cost about $110, plus it can be removed in the future much easier if the customer decides to sell the trailer.