• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 problems

Unitedhbn

I have a complaint regarding Oracal 651. I've been using this media for 3 years now and just recently I noticed that something has changed. The media doesn't seem to be as strong and durable anymore. It creases really easy and it can barely support it's own weight without damaging itself. What I mean is the pre-feed or slack that you feed out for the media when you attempt to plot large jobs. No matter what I do the media cannot handle the weight of itself hanging out the back of the machine. The weight of itself causes stress marks on the media starting from the middle then out to the sides the longer it sits in that position. These stress marks later end up ruining the next cut because the stress marks prevent the media from feeding properly. They also cause the media to crease and fold in the wrong areas and ruin any cut I attempt to run on this part of the media.

All the older rolls of Oracle 651 that I purchased a few years ago do not have this feeding problem. These rolls have been sitting in my office for 2 years. It's not my environment either. I have a Graphtec FC8000-130 which does a great job of feeding media properly as long as it's not Oracel 651. I tried running it on my Roland VS640 and the problem is even worse only because Roland doesn't have the best feeding set-up on that particular model.

Is anyone else experiencing this??

Sincerely,
Shane

amw

Longtime Members
I have a complaint regarding Oracal 651. I've been using this media for 3 years now and just recently I noticed that something has changed. The media doesn't seem to be as strong and durable anymore. It creases really easy and it can barely support it's own weight without damaging itself. What I mean is the pre-feed or slack that you feed out for the media when you attempt to plot large jobs. No matter what I do the media cannot handle the weight of itself hanging out the back of the machine. The weight of itself causes stress marks on the media starting from the middle then out to the sides the longer it sits in that position. These stress marks later end up ruining the next cut because the stress marks prevent the media from feeding properly. They also cause the media to crease and fold in the wrong areas and ruin any cut I attempt to run on this part of the media.

All the older rolls of Oracle 651 that I purchased a few years ago do not have this feeding problem. These rolls have been sitting in my office for 2 years. It's not my environment either. I have a Graphtec FC8000-130 which does a great job of feeding media properly as long as it's not Oracel 651. I tried running it on my Roland VS640 and the problem is even worse only because Roland doesn't have the best feeding set-up on that particular model.

Is anyone else experiencing this??

Sincerely,
Shane
We have the same plotter, and use oracal just about exclusivly.
We have this prob only on rolls that have been sitting a while.
Ours are in temp/RH controled areas also....

We have always just figured it was age.
We dont get the marks in the vinly though...just dosent runt through like a newer roll.
Prob didnt help you any.

Marsha

Unitedhbn

It can't be age unless Fellers has had these rolls sitting in their warehouse for a over a year. Fellers brags about having fresher media because they sell more. I just have a hard time believe that it's old media. As I said in my message above I have several rolls of 651 (the colors that don't get used much) that has been in my office for 2 years and every roll of that 651 feeds perfect. The stuff I'm having problems with is the new rolls I get them them in the more popular colors such as black, white and brown. The black Oracle 651 appears to the worse of these problems.

Sincerely,
Shane

I'd really like to know how many people are having this same problem.

Sincerely,
Shane

OlsonSigns601

Same Here: Same Cutter, never had anything like what you described.

Come to mention it: Never even had a bad roll of 651 before.

Pro Image

i just got 5 new 50 yrd rolls in today and cut about 100ft of 30in black and it was perfect.....Ordered from Fellers.....I have a different cutter than you have but it cuts well on all 3 cutters that I have....

g&eprinting

Is this 3m trying to smash back. Just kidding. Pics will help though.
Bought a ton of 651 5 plus years ago doing fleets and still have some of it and it still works great.

It did shrink a tiny bit but the new rolls are cutting and weeding just the same.

I keep that stocked in the most popular colors.

Last edited:

tomence

I buy lots and lots of 651 and never had a problem, this is my main vinyl for the 80% of my work, the other 20% is still Oracal.

Jillbeans

I've noticed for about a year now, when cutting the 15" perforated 651, that at the end of the roll and about 8' in towards the end, that the edges wanna stick together.
You know, where the edges are perforated, it's as if the glue seeps in a bit.
No probs with the unpunched stuff.
Love....Jill

149motorsports

i just gave 15ft of oracal 751 black back to them as it had 2inch impressions from the tape at the end of the roll it was rolled on.

Mosh

Never have a problem with 651. Fellers claim is for print media and yellowing, you need to listen more carefully!

CanuckSigns

i'm with Jill, only issue i've had is with 15" rolls, the last 5 yards or so stick together when going through our edge, it's never caused an issue though.

651 is my go to intermediate vinyl, never had an issue with it.

heyskull

Never had an issue with 651 it's my bread and butter.
Use about 3-400 metres of this a month and the only thing I have noticed this year is the backing sheet print is different.
I had an issue 2 years ago with our supplier who was making out he couldn't source any 651 and as soon as I had posted this on one of the UK sign forums I had Mr Oracal in Germany call me and ask what was the problem? As their was no problem with supplies to the UK. Turned out it was my supplier trying to get me to switch to an inferior brand.

SC

We use only Oracal in our shop and in two years I've never had a problem but we haven't ordered any new rolls of 651 in the last month or two, mostly just 751 and 951. However, I am surprised by something I just noticed in the new Oracal color chart. The old color chart (2010 or 11) says the 651 colors (black and white included) have an outdoor durability of 6 years. Now the most recent color charts I just received say the 651 has an outdoor durability of 6 years for black and white and 4 years for colored. From 6 years to 4 years...is there something going on with that vinyl? It's what we tend to use for the majority of our outdoor signs on 5 year durability substrates...probably 80% of our work or better.