• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 problems

SamFeatherston

There is a typo in the color chart

We use only Oracal in our shop and in two years I've never had a problem but we haven't ordered any new rolls of 651 in the last month or two, mostly just 751 and 951. However, I am surprised by something I just noticed in the new Oracal color chart. The old color chart (2010 or 11) says the 651 colors (black and white included) have an outdoor durability of 6 years. Now the most recent color charts I just received say the 651 has an outdoor durability of 6 years for black and white and 4 years for colored. From 6 years to 4 years...is there something going on with that vinyl? It's what we tend to use for the majority of our outdoor signs on 5 year durability substrates...probably 80% of our work or better.

FYI: (based on vertical surface exposure) 6 years colors, 4 years transparent & metallic, 3 years Brilliant Blue

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
maybe the "backer" has changed? i use 651 as well and the only difference is when it gets colder in my shop (up in new england,) everything gets more brittle..

skyhigh

No matter what I do the media cannot handle the weight of itself hanging out the back of the machine. The weight of itself causes stress marks on the media starting from the middle then out to the sides the longer it sits in that position. These stress marks later end up ruining the next cut because the stress marks prevent the media from feeding properly. They also cause the media to crease and fold in the wrong areas and ruin any cut I attempt to run on this part of the media.

I'd say you have a problem with your machine. Even that doesn't make sense, being the backer paper can't stretch. (moot point, being it seems you have abandoned the thread anyways)

As for people using 651 over 751, I could never understand. Sure, there is a big difference in a 50 yard roll, but when you divide it up between jobs, there isn't much of a cost difference. Take an average of 6 ft to letter a set of truck doors, you're talking about $3.50 difference in material for a $250 job.

jmo

omgsideburns

I had some recent rolls of white where the perf dots weren't fully removed and they get a bit sticky, especially running through the edge.. but never a problem, just a nuisance. Rolls like this have happened now and then though.

splizaat

I am hoping Oracal gets rid of the perf holes on each side of 15" Rolls....The only thing they're good for is lining up the application tape straight. Does anyone even have a plotter that uses perf holes anymore?

1982 called...they're missing their plotter.