• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ordering a safety ruler tomorrow. One Day Too Late!

OldPaint

iam with watson...............sharp objexts around my eyes.........cant do it. iam old(60's)and have what are commonly called "skin tags", around my eyes and on my eye lids.
the way they get rid of em is to cut em off. that i can deal with. they use one hand with a pair of locking tweezers to grab it and pull it away so they can take a scalpel(expensive x-acto knife) and cut it off. NOW........ the thing i freaked at was not them cutting em, it was when the nurse went toward my eye WITH A NEEDLE & SYRINGE!!!!!!!! i freaked. she said she was gona numb it a little before they cut it. i told i can deal with the quick cut better then her stickin a needle near my eye))))))

d fleming

I have trashed my left hand in the shop and at home. From fingertips to the webbing in thumb. My first thought was always holy crap! What about my guitar playing? My wife's first response...can we get the bleeding stopped first? The toughest comeback was when I lost feeling in the tip of my forefinger, had to start looking at the neck of the guitar again for a few months. You'll get back to it, just takes time and patience.

sardocs

I had a similar experience a number of years ago. A friend who is quite well off financially hired a world class guitar player, Steve Trovato, google him if you don’t know his skills, to come and give us a 4 day pickin’ seminar. We waited patiently all summer for the event, and two days before he came up from L.A., I cut off the top of my favourite finger. I looked down at the table and the top of my finger was sitting there like a little mushroom cap. I grabbed it up and put it back where it came off of and ran over to my neighbours place who does wood turning and always has crazy glue handy. I thought I could just glue it all back together, but I`m made of the wrong type of wood. I got my guitar lessons with a huge bandage on my finger. I didn't think it would ever heal, but after a couple months it was back to normal. I still haven`t got a safety ruler, but I`m a bit more careful with xactos now.

Speedsterbeast

I am being told that most of it will regenerate back so I am more optimistic about it than I was yeaterday.
And still surprised that there is not a lot of pain.

I also noticed I'm not the only one who waited for a cut before buying a safety ruler.
When I was renovating my first house in my early 20's I remember for the first week or two working until I got something in my eye before I put on my safety glasses.

I guess I'm a little smarter then I was then.
The "safety squint" while cutting or grinding doesn't really work.

HaroldDesign

UGH. I've suffered a lot of various injuries, but when I cut off the end of my thumb it seemed to be about the most painful one. It'll heal eventually!

Marlene

I did something like that a few years back and ended up with stitches. I have a safety ruler but I went back to the one that did me in as they aren't as good. I can still see the gore mark in the aluminum from the slip up but I lived to tell the tale.

vid

attachment.php

Attachments

• 101Neosporin.jpg
    101Neosporin.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
J

john1

lol i've been known to use painters tape while on the job. Don't reach into your tool bag without knowing what's at the bottom lol (xacto)

Speedsterbeast

...and I've got to ask, did you dress the wound with cast or calendared vinyl?

The wound is dressed properly with Talfa Dressing and Polysporan (good friend is a critical care paramedic on an air ambulance helicopter= access to near-expired first aid products and good advice)
However, the finger is protected with steel strapping and electrical tape.

As my friend put it "Sounds like your race car repairs- whatever you have on hand to get back in the race"

Al Checca

I'm with all the others, I can't tell you how many scars I have on my left index finger. You do learn things like safety rulers and cutting matts keep finger tips.... Your right finger tips amazingly grow back. You learn cutting on cardboard is a no no also, invest in both good matt's and good straight edges...

mike ham

ouch! what i like to do is use my t square backwards t side closest to me applying pressure with left hand farthest away, never allowing right hand to cross over left.the pressure of knife pulling forward keeps material against the t. has worked well for me.

MakeMyGraphic

haha I haven't sliced my finger doing my trimming yet :) but I DID (after 7 years ) manage to slice the tip of my finger off on a deli slicer while I was cleaning it. still have the scar as a reminder. That's what I get for telling people that you'd have to be an idiot to cut yourself on the slicer. Ooops...

Is there a thread started somewhere yet to document everyone's digit mishaps? LOL would be an interesting log....

Suz

Hey, don't be hard on yourself! Sorry that happened! I did something like that lastnight, cut the pad (fingerprint) of my index finger almost off on my left hand. Had a rush job I was working on and it was late. No bandaids or medical supplies, so I taped it back together before the blood started pumping and went back to work. Worked about 5 hours. Checked it before I went to bed, looked suprisingly good. Should have super glued it! Anynow, I'm thinking mine will be okay. I wasn't even using a blade. I was adjusting an adjustable height table and put my finger in the hole where the little button thing pops out every couple inches. Table slipped and wallah, sliced finger pad! Ouchie!