• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our first vehicle wrap request... help!

ambrartz

alright folks.. We are a start up shop out of MD. we've been kicking it steady since January mostly coroplast and aluminum signs. some cut vinyl for cars. We got our first request on a wrap quote. I need to know what the BEST vinyl and overlam to use on this is.. and all other amateur wrap advice you could through our way would rock..

thanks..!

MikePro

3M 180 or 1080 series. Hands-down.

use search function to find the dozen or so threads polling comparisons between 3M, Oracal, Avery, etc.

WrapperX

I use Avery 1005 EZ RS Super Cast with DOL 1060 Gloss overlam and I have never had any problems.

On a side note - if you aren't trained in wraps I would sub this out to an installer that knows what they are doing. Print in house if you can and find an installer to do the work. And if you do end up subbing it out - ask the installer which vinyl they prefer cause they are the ones that are going to have to deal with it.

Pat Whatley

Have you ever done a wrap before, helped someone do a wrap, taken an installation class, or have some experienced help coming?

There's a hell of a lot to learn to install one correctly. If you've never done one I would HIGHLY recommend finding someone who knows what they're doing and paying them to install it with you. I learned more watching two guys wrap a van at a sign show several years ago than I'd figured out myself doing a fleet of partial wraps.

Flame

3M and get a certified installer to stick it.

I prefer Oracal over 3M, but honestly either one will work great. Only 2 brands I'd use with confidence.

Also agree with Mike on the installer part. If you've only been in this business for a couple months, it's almost guaranteed you're gonna blow that wrap job. Wraps are in a whole different league than coro signs. It's like comparing t-ball to the Majors. You've been playing t-ball, and now you got someone throwing a 98mph ball at ya....

Get an installer.

threeputt

If you're simply trying to quote this job, then which material you end up using won't matter much. Most of the quality cast vinyl wrap media and laminates costs are all about in the same ball park, and you can easily obtain those prices.

So at this intersection, (since you don't have the job yet) just figure your quote based upon:

1. Selling costs.
2. Design/layout costs.
3. Material costs.
4. Printing and laminating time.
5. Installation costs.
6. Desired profit.

For the record. We use IJ-180 with the V-3 for most jobs and Gamut Skin for overlaminate. Good combination so far.

ambrartz

well folks.. Thanks.. and i am just the GA.. I siad we need a pro installer as well.. I watched some folks do a wrap at the AC sign show in december.. not easy.. we have an installer in mind, step one is pricing.. i agree that maybe we should ask the installer what material they prefer.

HulkSmash

3m 180cv3 with 8518 Overlam. the Avery 1005 EZ RS Super Cast is pretty good too..
For the love of God do not use Gamut Skin Or Lamex on top of your 3M vinyl. It's not good.

petepaz

I prefer Oracal over 3M, but honestly either one will work great. Only 2 brands I'd use with confidence.

Also agree with Mike on the installer part. If you've only been in this business for a couple months, it's almost guaranteed you're gonna blow that wrap job. Wraps are in a whole different league than coro signs. It's like comparing t-ball to the Majors. You've been playing t-ball, and now you got someone throwing a 98mph ball at ya....

Get an installer.

speaking from experience..yeah what they said!
the first wrap i did was ford escape, came out alright and i think i only had to redo one panel but the real kicker where we lost money was the time/labor, it took me 4.5 days to do it, granted i only worked on it from 3:00 in the afternoon till about 11:00 or so each night but it was a lot of work should have gotten someone experienced to help

HulkSmash

Can you tell me what the underlying problem is with the Gamut Skin? Is it an incompatibility issue with the 3M?

Wrap Rule #1. Never apply cheaper, lower quality Lam, to more expensive higher quality vinyl.

It might work right now, but it wont last as long, and from what i've heard all of fellers house brand stuff has issues of turning brown. AKA Lam/perf.

If you actually call a supply company who knows about wraps (not fellers) they will tell you the same thing.

Hope that helps?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've kinda heard the same thing preached by people in the know. It's not even a good idea to mix manufacturers. At the cost of what these things cost to produce vs. paying a little more for some media... it seems counter-productive to save a few pennies on a job of this nature.

Many of the better suppliers are now offering package deals on matching medias. Doing this will also keep the warranty from going south on ya should something go majorly wrong down the road.

iSign

speaking from experience..yeah what they said!
the first wrap i did was ford escape, came out alright and i think i only had to redo one panel but the real kicker where we lost money was the time/labor, it took me 4.5 days to do it, granted i only worked on it from 3:00 in the afternoon till about 11:00 or so each night but it was a lot of work should have gotten someone experienced to help

my experience exactly... well, not an Escape... but the 4-1/2 late nights part & the losing money part...

HulkSmash

I've kinda heard the same thing preached by people in the know. It's not even a good idea to mix manufacturers. At the cost of what these things cost to produce vs. paying a little more for some media... it seems counter-productive to save a few pennies on a job of this nature.

Many of the better suppliers are now offering package deals on matching medias. Doing this will also keep the warranty from going south on ya should something go majorly wrong down the road.

Couldn't agree more.

petepaz

i would say you are probably better to match the same company materials (3m vin w/ 3mlam and so on ) but i have found as long as you use the same quality cast with cast and calandered with calandered you are usually ok. i have used avery lam with oracal vinyl and no problems but back to not using the same quality materials i have used a a calandered lam on window perf and the lam shrunk and caused the perf to curl up on the edges and now i have to re-do the job (like said earlier not worht the few dollars saved on the material if you end up replacing the job later)