• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor backlit sign materials...

mjohnsonsa

Have HP Latex printer and am making an outdoor backlit sign for the first time. I am using a translucent 4mil UV vinyl printed and applied to .177 white polycarbonate but am getting some bubbling. Are these the correct materials? I am worried about using Acrylic for outdoor application (and I have polycarb stock and want to use it). The bubbles do not appear to be from deris and I think it would be too soon to see anything from out-gassing. If they are not debris related bubbles any advice on getting rid of them after the fact? like heat gun or something?

I do have some clear acrylic but am concerned that using clear may show hot spots from the LED modules behind.

Looking for some guidance, advice, recommendations... thanks.

Matt

DL Signs

Never go against the family
If there's not a lot, just pop em' with a pin on the edge of each bubble, and press the air out towards it. If the sign viewing distance isn't close up, pin holes won't show. Just don't make big holes. Until you get the hang of laying translucent, laying it wet will help. Thin acrylic and poly will flex a little making it easy to get bubbles, depending on what I'm working with I still lay a lot of it wet. I use a dab of baby shampoo in a spray bottle of water and just mist everything before I lay it, then let it sit for a day before installing for the adhesive to set.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Try Printing your image in Reverse on Clear vinyl and Apply the decal to the 2nd surface (Backside) of clear acrylic panel then back up the clear decal with white translucent vinyl.
This way should make the backlit sign last alot longer outdoors.
Applying the clear decal and white translucent vinyl wet with a little soapy water will help with the bubbles.