Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor Banner

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by catalyzer, Jun 21, 2012.

1. catalyzer

catalyzer New Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Australia
    hi guys,

i got a customer wanted a 1meter x 10meter banner.
    i am totally new for this (large print) and i am seeking for more info from you guys.

here is a list of my questions:-
    1. design - 1m x 10m is too large in illustrator, how can i play with the dpi and scale size?

2. process - is the process same like normal printing? what sort of important things do i have to aware of?

3. post print - 24 hrs drying time? can i roll it and make it stand? instead of hanging(too long for hanging).

4. finishing - it is a long banner. how to fold and hemmed the edges? how to do the eyelet? what tools/equipment needed for this process?

hope to hear from you guys ! :thankyou:

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    outsource it, let them deal with it. everything is pretty much the same as a normal banner, but the hemming is going to be a PITA unless you have a proper setup.

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    outsource it! do not touch it

4. catalyzer

catalyzer New Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Australia
    will take both of your advice.

but i am keen to learn how or the process of making banner...

how about smaller size up to 3 meter long?
    can it be done or still have to outsource it?
    how well is this Banner Hem Tape? any thoughts?

5. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Do you have any banner making experience?

If you are making smaller banners that don't have to be subjected to high winds and stress, you can easily print on 13oz material and hem the edges with banner tape, this should last about 6-8 months outdoors depending on a bunch of different conditions.

6. catalyzer

catalyzer New Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Australia
    actually no.
    have done some Retractable Banner which is not required to hem the edges.

any recommended material brand to print?

7. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Your banners will last longer if they are hung right even in windy areas but if it's real windy I'd use mesh.

How big of a printer do you have?

8. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Design in scale. I like to do 1:12 (inch = foot) or 1:10 (0.1 = 1inch) for big stuff... whatever scale you use just make sure you note it in the file so you don't forget.

9. allamericantrade

allamericantrade Member

Dec 30, 2011
    The following is how we do it and not all shops are the same.

10. ScottyAdams

ScottyAdams Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Exactly how we do it :rock-n-roll:

11. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Exactly how we do it :rock-n-roll:too.

12. Hicalibersigns

Hicalibersigns Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Us too. After you do a couple you will see that it ain't rocket surgery.

13. catalyzer

catalyzer New Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Australia
    @ChicagoGraphics: 42" printer

@omgsideburns: can you give me an example? let say i wanted to print 1meter x 2meter banner, what is the step/calculation to produce 1:10 scale in illy?

@Pat White: i feel the pita process is to hem the edges. will the home sewing machine done the job? or required special sewing machine?

@allamericantrade: Roland Versaworks

anyone of you do small banner in house? how much do you spent for those tools/equipment? any recommendation to do it my own or outsource it (small banner)?

14. allamericantrade

allamericantrade Member

Dec 30, 2011
    1meter x 2 meter @ 1/10 scale is basic math. .1meter x .2meter. send it to rolland versaworks and resize it there if need be. I do banners from small to as big as 60" x 150' in house since i have a 64" printer here. They sell hand gromet tools that are a waste of your time and energy. Best bet is a $300.00 press. worth every dime over the cheap hand tools. I have often wondered about a home machine myself and have been thinking about picking up something more beefy. I saw a machine made to stitch leather for sale but was too late in getting it.

15. ChicagoGraphics

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    No a home sewing machine won't work, you need at least a commerical grade machine.

Tape hemming banners is the most easiest thing to do, after you have your banner all layed out put a 0.0001 black line 1" from your image around all 4 sides, this will be your hem, turn you banner face down tape & fold to the black line and your done then grommet.

16. ChicagoGraphics

Feb 27, 2007
    World

The hand grommet tools are are good and don't take much strenght, the hand grommet press are ok.

17. ptegolf

ptegolf New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm curious about the banner tape. I tried some and a week later it unpeeled completely? I cleaned the banner first, and even used a roller to first lay it down and then went over it about 10 times per side, then grommeted it. I'd like to learn how to sew them, but have no idea where to even begin.

18. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    wierd. my banner tape barely wants to unpeel even when strongly coerced.