• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor digital LED display: where to begin?

bigben

So I've got few customers asking for outdoor digital LED display (I don't know if it the good name for this). I've found cirrus so far and their products are sold via a vendor here in Montreal.

1. Should I try to contact cirrus directly to place an order and/or have more informations?
  2. It look like we have to go to cirrus website to manage the content. I would prefer to own the system and not be at the mercy of another company.
  3. What other manufacturer should I look?
  4. What should I know about the subject? (I already work in interior digital signage).
  5. One of my customer want a ''bullet proof'' system with the best quality on the market. The sign is fairly low of the ground (5 feet), the sidewalk is very near and vandalism is a concern to him.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

oksigns

If you are going to be the installer, work directly with the manufacturer or a distributor you trust.

The frequent things that can happen are bad bulbs, dead logic boards/misc hardware failure, and lightening strike issues(friend wireless antennas). Otherwise there are decent solutions out there. Daktronics and Optec are popular around me.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Vantage LED is a great company to work with.
Beware of the cheap Chinese companies,

This, a thousand times over. Five years ago, the company I worked for at the time agreed to fabricate a rather large message center using components that the customer provided- which, of course, were Chinese made. (Yes, agreeing to do the job was the first mistake.)
Amongst the problems:
- All the instruction manuals were in Chinese. Everyone in the shop who could read, read English.
- We're on the East Coast of the US. That means every time we had to call for help (which was a lot), we had to account for the 12 hour time differential. Oh, and the language barrier, of course.
- Problem parts required weeks to replace.

I'd suggest a company that has a rep near you so you can get service/assistance (when needed). Optec, Advantage, Daktronics, Vision are all pretty reputable suppliers.