Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outlining in Flexi

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by The Vector Doctor, Nov 30, 2006.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Had a customer today say that they could not outline text in Flexi. They have a basic version. Is this true or do they not know how to use the software? I don't own/use Flexi so I cannot tell them what they are doing wrong.

Basically they want solid letters with an outline of another color that they can cut. In Illustrator to make 2 cuttable paths you have to convert the font to paths first and then do an offset path to do the second outside path. This is different from simply stroking a path, which works fine for printed output but does not give the desired effect for cutting purposes.

Is there such an outline/offset function in the lowest (most basic) version of Flexi?

Tags:
  2. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Im not sure, I have pro

3. Former member

Former member Member

Mar 24, 2006
    We have Flexi Sign and Pro in our studio and both definately have outline and shadow effects. I'm pretty sure it is also available in the low end version. Make sure they have the "Design Central" dialog box open.
    It is also under the "effects" menu drop down.

4. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    yes there is, it's under Effect>>Outline, the design central will come up with different features, it will allow you to make any number of outlines or inlines and the distance between them, if you want to keep the original object, the color of the outline and finally if you want it pointed, rounded or clipped. it also allows you to make a contour around the object.
    i love those features in Flexi. and they are in all the versions except for the Vinyl Express ones i think they don't have the (Contour) Feature.

5. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    She said "Flexi Starter"

6. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    i think she is talking about the one that comes with the Vinyl Express plotter from sign warehouse.

7. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
  8. Sticker Dude

Sticker Dude Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Florida
    flexi starter is what I started out with with the Master plotter from ebay Started is very limited no outlines no shadowing no nothing but is starts you out

9. Hollywood

Hollywood Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Yeah, I was going to say that I don't think you can do it with the cheap version, I guess she will have to spend more money. I know I can do it in mine.