• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oval segments that are equal in distance

rjpjr

Are you aware of any feature in Illustrator, Gerber Composer or any vector based program that will automatically generate equal line segments around the circumference of an an oval?? I need to create a star burst oval with equal distances between the points.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 67
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 45

J Hill Designs

corels smart polygon tool

edit: heres a polygon w/85 sides manipulated into a starburst

edit2: the equidistance thing is throwing me off

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 55

SIGNTIME

maybe im missing something but why not just used the star tool click once and select however many points you want?

John Butto

is this what you are looking for...make circle with lines or triangles and then transform to oval? These are not evenly spaced but they look like your sample you are trying to acheive in Illy.

rjpjr

maybe im missing something ....
Yep, I think you are.
Using the star tool in either Illustrator or Composer will create a star based on circular geometry.
There are no options available to create a star based on an oval.
Creating a standard star pattern and stretching it will result in unequal distances between the points around the circumference.
I need these distances to be equal.
Thanks for looking though

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 70
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 48
  • x3.jpg
    x3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 45

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can use the dashed line tool on the object's stroke in Illustrator to achieve this. The only hang-up could be the distance between the initial point and last point; otherwise that will get you where you want to be.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 48

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can use the dashed line tool on the object's stroke in Illustrator to achieve this. The only hang-up could be the distance between the initial point and last point; otherwise that will get you where you want to be.
Sorry! I completely misread what you wanted to do.... that's a sunburst, not a starburst. I don't know of a way to do a "perfect starburst" like you're wanting.

rjssigns

What about using the Rotate Tool in Illustrator? You will need to input a few things, but it's doable. It will give equal spaced segments, but you will have to manually manipulate the length based on
desired result.

I made an oval in Illy then used the rectangle too to set a small recatngle dead center on top. Used Rotate Tool set at 20 degrees and Copy. Clicked OK. Command D repeat to finish array.
Make a larger oval for clipping and center on small oval. Done. You now have equal sized/spaced segments

Only other way I know of would be to use a program like Autocad or Solidworks. They will allow you to generate an array based on existing geometry.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
zig zag

the zig zag tool will get you rather close to what you want

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-07-01 at 3.00.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-07-01 at 3.00.52 PM.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 41

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It looks like you could do it in Corel.
The end result is what you asked for but it looks odd.
I used a blend on the oval path to evenly space the blue dots.
Drew a new oval snapping each segment to the centers of the blue dots.
Doubled the points evenly on the new oval (+ key)
Selected every second point,
Used the scale node tool to bring them down into the center.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• oval-star.jpg
    oval-star.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 37