• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

over spray acrylic

Katie Kieffer

Anytime we print CMYK+W second surface on acrylic we have over spray on the white. We have a CET Q5-500 and use Onyx as our rip software. We run high quality, uni-directional and choke the white. We use staticide prior to printing and keep humidity controlled. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

fresh

I can't answer your question, but you'll probably get more help if you include what printer you have, what rip you're using, ink etc.

Welcome.

DerbyCitySignGuy

White UV ink contains titanium oxide and has a tendency to clog up nozzles quicker than other inks. If you're not running white ink on a regular basis, your best bet is to clean the white heads real well before you print. As long as you're running lots of jobs with white ink, you shouldn't have to worry about white overspray too much.

How does your nozzle test look? Any deflection on the white heads?

Katie Kieffer

White UV ink contains titanium oxide and has a tendency to clog up nozzles quicker than other inks. If you're not running white ink on a regular basis, your best bet is to clean the white heads real well before you print. As long as you're running lots of jobs with white ink, you shouldn't have to worry about white overspray too much.

How does your nozzle test look? Any deflection on the white heads?
We have no deflection and tests looks good. We do nozzle tests daily.
I just ran the print bi-directional high quality and actually received less over spray?

petepaz

could be the print head and need an ink renewal (run some cleaning fluid through to help clean the head) but more than likely its static
we have a similar issue with our roland lej. we use an anti-static spray that helps cut it down sprayway, SW-955 anti-static eliminator spray.
we also use it on sintra helps prevent over spray as well

signbrad

A static charge can quickly build up in a piece of acrylic.

This has been a traditional problem in sign shops when painting plastic faces for lighted signs.
When spray painting acrylic second surface it is always important to thoroughly neutralize static just before spraying, otherwise, the spray job will not be even, but mottled and splotchy. Traditionally, static is removed with a chamois wipe of alcohol and water (a chamois leather removes static better than a rag). This is best done a few minutes just before spraying. Sometimes, when spraying several colors, it's even necessary to do a static wipe in between each color. It was always my practice to wipe both sides of acrylic, front and back, at the beginning of every painting session.

If a static wipe is done too far in advance of painting, it can build back up before you start spraying. At one shop that had a particularly bad problem with static, I kept a dish soap bottle full of water in the paint booth within easy reach. When the static seemed to be building up, I would stop spraying paint and squirt water onto the back of the plastic and then continue spraying while the water was running down the back.

When hand lettering, acrylic can have enough of a static charge to pull the paint right out of the tip of the lettering brush from as far away as a half inch. It looks like tiny, spidery strings flowing from the hairs through the air.

Since static can cause so much trouble when painting, it's no surprise that it can interfere with the ink while digitally printing as well.

And if you ever apply clear prints to acrylic second surface, and you can't seem to do it without getting some dust particles trapped under the print no matter how much you cleaned the surface, try gently wiping the acrylic with a damp chamois instead of a paper towel or tack cloth. It removes dust and neutralizes static at the same time. A tack cloth can sometimes even re-introduce static.

My test for static is to hold the back of my hand close to the surface of the plastic. Static is still present if I can feel electricity tug at the hair on the back of my hand.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We have no deflection and tests looks good. We do nozzle tests daily.
I just ran the print bi-directional high quality and actually received less over spray?

If it not the heads, then it's most likely static, as Brad mentioned.

We always treat the media after it's already on the bed. Techspray Zero Charge (I think that's the one we use) on a poly wipe and give the surface a good wipe down right before you hit print. There are also anti-static bars on the printer, and we keep humidity at 50% and temperature at 70 (or as close as we can get, we have crazy fluctuations here).

Short of an anti-static room with everybody in bunny suits, you're never going to completely eliminate static, but you should be able to get it to a point that you rarely have to worry about it.

GraphicsSource

Try running it on clear vinyl or just a different material and see if it continues.

Any possibility that the head isnt fully seated? Our CET has the white head all the way to the right which tends to catch the brunt of a headstrike which I've seen can jog a head out of position.

How bad is the over spray? Is it just fuzzy edges or does it go out beyond the graphic? Our white head uses a larger drop size than the other colors which does give some fuzzy edges around small text.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ColorPirate001

Sign Pro in training
We had a similar problem recently. Turn the dot size control off. There should be a small box to click on or off for manual dot control in the print mode window. We messed around for a while and tried everything from heavy ink and small dot size to large dot size. Then we just had the machine do the factory white setting on production mode and boom, good to go.

Alan B

Running an air ionizer will help bring the potential for static down as well
hat
Who has used an antistatic blower and what have your results been? We've been fighting many problems on our OCE Arizona-odd displacement of ink and dust caused ink droplets on our prints-mostly on .060 Styrene.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
hat
Who has used an antistatic blower and what have your results been? We've been fighting many problems on our OCE Arizona-odd displacement of ink and dust caused ink droplets on our prints-mostly on .060 Styrene.

My experience with it wasn't printing but making bling transfers. We would adhere the patterns for the transfers to a piece of acrylic and when static would build up it would cause the jewels to flip over the wrong way. Within a few minutes of turning the ionizer on the problem would go away.