• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Overkill for this 4x8 sign?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cripes................... Decorate your 10mm ACM board as needed. Lay the 2 posts (4" x 4" wooden) on the ground 6' apart. Screw the sign to them. Now, dig 2 holes 40" deep at the bottom of the 2 posts. Put a flat rock at the bottom of each. Stand the sign up and now pour your cement in the holes and level the thing out and if ya made the cement to soggy. slap 2 runners on the posts til the cement dries.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Cripes................... Decorate your 10mm ACM board as needed. Lay the 2 posts (4" x 4" wooden) on the ground 6' apart. Screw the sign to them. Now, dig 2 holes 40" deep at the bottom of the 2 posts. Put a flat rock at the bottom of each. Stand the sign up and now pour your cement in the holes and level the thing out and if ya made the cement to soggy. slap 2 runners on the posts til the cement dries.
dry pack it, tamp it, pee in the hole and leave.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He/she is in oklahoma and ya need more than dry pack and p!ss. The prairie dogs will dig that stuff right out with all the savory smells in it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
He/she is in oklahoma and ya need more than dry pack and p!ss. The prairie dogs will dig that stuff right out with all the savory smells in it.
Drink a 12 pack while you put it in and piss on it 3 times then. Do I have to teach you everything?

signbrad

I have found that 10 Mil Coroplast makes a pretty sturdy 4x8' sign.

I have found that 10 Mil Coroplast makes a pretty sturdy 4x8' sign.

A note about material thickness.

Obviously, Ron is using the term "10 Mil Coroplast" as a kind of slang for 10 MILLIMETER Coroplast. This is getting more and more common, to use mil as slang for millimeter.
A "mil," of course, is a measurement in its own right. It is the equivalent of one-thousandth of an inch, and is written as .001". It is not a metric unit. But, except for a few old-timers, and some people who have worked in the machine tooling industry, the term mil is rarely heard. My dad, a pattern maker, used it, but he more often said "thou." My brother and my brother-in-law, both tool-and-die makers, rarely said "mil," almost always preferring the term "thou."

Obviously, there is no such animal as Coroplast that is only 10 mils in thickness, but context usually makes this clear, as in Ron's post above. Except for one time when my boss got hold of a blueprint that called out cutout aluminum graphics in a thickness of 80 mils. He was momentarily confused, knowing that 80 MILLIMETERS was well over three inches thick. Where was he going to get aluminum that was 80 millimeters thick and how were we going to cut it out? When he realized that 80 mils was only 80 thousandths, an aluminum thickness we kept in stock, his confusion cleared up.

We use mil thicknesses in the sign industry all the time. We just don't call them that.
For example, vinyl sheet is commonly measured in mils, as in, "2-mil high performance vinyl." Obviously, 2-mil vinyl is not anywhere near 2 millimeters in thickness.
Our aluminum thicknesses are commonly in mils, or thousandths. We use 40 mils, 63 mils and 80 mils, for example, written as .040", .063" and .080", respectively. But we usually pronounce these as "oh four oh", "oh six three", and "oh eight oh."

Another industry that commonly uses mil thicknesses is the garbage bag industry. Garbage bag thicknesses may be .7 mil, 1 mil, 1½ mils, etc. Garbage bag makers further complicate matters by using a metric thickness called a micron, which is one millionth of a meter. Paint film thicknesses are also measured in both mils and microns. A human hair is typically 70 microns.

Here are some common thickness equivalents in inches:

One millimeter= .039" (abbreviated mm)
One mil= .001" (no abbreviation)
One micron= .000039" (abbreviated incorrectly as um. Proper abbreviation includes the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet, written μm)
Actually, I think micron is considered an obsolete term. Micrometer, or British micrometre, is preferred. Micro means millionth.

Bored in Kansas City,
Brad

Last edited:

Johnny Best

I told him not to say it.

Attachments

• signbrad.jpg
    signbrad.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 36