Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overprint option?

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by gabagoo, Apr 4, 2008.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    What does it mean when it gives me an overprint option for digital printing? anyone know?

Tags:
  2. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    to print another layer of ink on top of an existing one or one that it just printed.

3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    overprint:
    to print on top of an existing layer of print, to put down a second shot of ink

4. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    If that is so, then why do I also have the option that I can print 2 3 4 etc layers? I am just wondering why they would have the same option twice in the same software?

5. Matt Cuellar

Matt Cuellar Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Typically overprint or "double-strike" is used for either printing on clear or translucent. It adds a second (or third/fourth) identical layer of ink on your pass to give you optimum density of clear or semi-clear material. The problem is finding the right density without bleeding. I've never had to use more than 2x overprint on either clear or translucent. Much more than that and your color goes to hell, you waste a ton of ink, and your still have a crappy print!

6. petepaz

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    that is just how many time it will over lap
    when you print on clear or translucent material you may have to experiment on how many layers of ink you need to achive the opacity you want

7. petepaz

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i guess matt type faster than i do

8. warlind

warlind Member

Dec 13, 2006
    My overprint option is not available - it will not let me select - Flexi 8. any suggestions????

9. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Have you tried your driver options?
    Post a screen shot.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  10. KR3signguy

KR3signguy Very Active Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Definition: In most cases, when two objects of different colors overlap they knockout -- they won't print on top of each other. To intentionally print one layer of ink on top of another is to overprint. Overprinting is sometimes used to avoid the need for trapping and avoid gaps between touching colors. Spot colors intended to designate the application of spot varnish are also set up to overprint.

11. warlind

warlind Member

Dec 13, 2006
    For a backlit sign - I need to put down two passes and I thought that was in the driver options menu - here is a shot. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

12. cinemasign.grafix

cinemasign.grafix Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Default job prop- pass 1-3

13. warlind

warlind Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Mutoh told me the vj 1204 can not make multiple passes - only option is change saturation/levels.