• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Owner/Installer

TimToad

Yet the most successful (in metrics of size and revenue) businesses, the "owners" get the F out of the way and focus on growing, managing, and running the business.

I started my business because I thought I could do it better or different, and that was 10 years ago... Do I actually produce much any more, not really. Do I miss it? All the time, but the business needs me out of production and selling/managing its growth. Can you just run out and start a business, yes but if you're not prepared you will just be another failure statistic.

To the OP, I applaud your Boss for learning the trade but and some point you should show him what he could accomplish if he hires experience and focuses on getting more business.

Our industry as well as most and the individuals working within it are as diverse and differently goaled as any. A small, single sign artist doing mostly custom, one off signs in a tourist village somewhere will have quite different goals and approach to their business as someone like yourself in a highly competitive, large metropolis.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Our industry as well as most and the individuals working within it are as diverse and differently goaled as any. A small, single sign artist doing mostly custom, one off signs in a tourist village somewhere will have quite different goals and approach to their business as someone like yourself in a highly competitive, large metropolis.
There is a difference between a "Business" and a "Hobby Craft" company. A Business' sole goal is growth and profitability while a Hobby Craft company has a goal of comfort and the love of the craft. At some point, people have to decide if they are a business or a Hobby Craft since it is very rare you can have it both ways.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There is a difference between a "Business" and a "Hobby Craft" company. A Business' sole goal is growth and profitability while a Hobby Craft company has a goal of comfort and the love of the craft. At some point, people have to decide if they are a business or a Hobby Craft since it is very rare you can have it both ways.

Growth doesn't mean you're a business or not... I don't really want to "grow" in the sense of adding more people, things and sales... I'm maxed and instead of growing to take on the additional work that comes in, I get more choosy as to which jobs I accept... I like your definition of "hobby" rather than the IRS's... Wish I could convince them this was a "hobby"

Last edited:

equippaint

You can find some middle ground. I'm probably more like you in the need to keep my foot on the floor at all times, its almost a flaw. I admire those that can get where they want to be and hit cruise but I can't do it. It causes me a lot of unnecessary stress and some regrets about family but its the way I have always been. Some don't get past hobby sized and stress over money, others hit the sweet spot and cruise. It's hard to understand why people don't grow and you tell yourself that being that way will not work but it does.

TimToad

The condescension inferred by your wording and mindset is interesting and perplexing. Do you take pride in your work? Do you love what you do? Are you not comfortable in what you do?

Those quality of life factors are not mutually exclusive in the severely limited concept of business you seem to hold.

There also are many incrementally different business models than the two extremes you describe that many of us operate under.

Just wait until the next major downturn in the economy occurs and we'll see which business models are more nimble and prepared to weather the storm better.

WildWestDesigns

There is a difference between a "Business" and a "Hobby Craft" company. A Business' sole goal is growth and profitability while a Hobby Craft company has a goal of comfort and the love of the craft.

This isn't necessarily true. In fact, this kinda reminds me of another thread on here where the OP believe that if an owner wasn't able to do "x", then the business wasn't a true business.

In either case there isn't this mutual exclusivity that you and the OP of that previous thread like to think that there is.

I have to wonder if it's this belief that makes it seem like this:

At some point, people have to decide if they are a business or a Hobby Craft since it is very rare you can have it both ways.

is such a rarity.

It's not easy to obtain, nothing in life is, nor is it fair, but I have to wonder if you are making it even harder to obtain with that mindset.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, none of this whole thread is necessarily true. It's all based upon opinions and what some people think. We have people who have been in business from their dining room to people who have 1,000's of square foot space shops and some who have one or two employees to owners who have 40 people. None of it's on a even playing field. Then, ya have people who have only witnessed OTHERS running a business to some who have only owned a short time. Ya also have people who have been in other businesses and have only seen this sign business as their business a short time and have NO REAL facts from which to pull. So, to say any of this is Gospel, is just foolish. It's just opinions and most of them emotional at best.

severe

Actually, none of this whole thread is necessarily true. It's all based upon opinions and what some people think. We have people who have been in business from their dining room to people who have 1,000's of square foot space shops and some who have one or two employees to owners who have 40 people. None of it's on a even playing field. Then, ya have people who have only witnessed OTHERS running a business to some who have only owned a short time. Ya also have people who have been in other businesses and have only seen this sign business as their business a short time and have NO REAL facts from which to pull. So, to say any of this is Gospel, is just foolish. It's just opinions and most of them emotional at best.

That's just what I was looking for...opinions. I knew I could count on you guys for that.
Much appreciated!

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
That's just what I was looking for...opinions. I knew I could count on you guys for that.
Much appreciated!
Ultimately everyone is here to help. From all walks of life. Take from it what you will and determine what is right for you.

equippaint

The statement is not false. I did not say "running a business is easy". I suggested if you know an inferior product is being pushed out in a limited lucrative market, perhaps with 20 years of large format experience under your belt. It may be time to consider doing it YOUR way. The idea that fat cats are the ONLY ones who can run a business makes me laugh. Anyone I have met, respected and learned from in the industry are the ones in the fox hole and in the grind of running their own business. This includes myself.
Somewhat true for smaller scale operations but the most well healed owners of large businesses that I know, dont get involved in the day to day grind, dont do hands on production and are generally not capable of doing the hands on work like welding. Their skill is business and it doesnt matter what widgets or how theyre produced, they can scale it. To be successful, you do not have to be capable of making them with your own hands, its understanding the process and product that matters.
On face value, I would make the assesment that hands on owners hold themselves back from realizing big growth (if that is their end goal.). They get stuck, sometimes intentionally and other times by not knowing a way out of the hole.

Mike Krieger

So...what do you do?
I'm a graphic designer of 30+ years & large format printer of 20+ years in a very limited market.
I work for a guy that is trying hard to get into vehicle wraps and wants to do all the installations himself in an area ripe for someone that can actually deliver a quality product.
We have done several wraps, but the end results are sub-par in my professional opinion.
If it was my business, no way I could approve them.
So...what do you do?

Sorry if a bit vague...just trying to cover my tracks.

What is the current wide format printer being used?

Dukenukem117

Much appreciated!

Check out the book the 'E-Myth' if you haven't. The first section is all about how a lot of businesses get started by technician types who think that just because they can make the product, they can run a better business. A lot has been said here about 'how big is big' for the owner, but if you are getting outside money to get this thing started, then you probably have to pursue growth for your investors or they have no reason to invest.