• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oxidised surfaces

BobM

Why go toxic with thinners? If it's really bad, wash the vehicle with car wash and a soft brush then clean it with Rapid Prep.

Stuckup

LOL, so, why does it happen that vinyl does not Fail on a thinnererised surface on an old truck. Like for instance an oxidised Fibreglass Semi Trailer. Why does the Client call and ask why my job did not fail when the others tried other methods. Maybe I jagged a fluke. Wipe on wipe off with dry rags. I had quotes on the semis to prepare, and it was over $2000, cut polish. Also Most Automotive paints are applied with thinners incorporated in them. If the surface is oxidised/powdery, how can vinyl stick to powder, if thinners can do no good to a poor surface, why does it gloss it up and make it shiny? Why does it become glossy when attacked by thinners? And why am I so CONTROVERSIAL. If a surface needs respray why not try an alternative.

Stuckup

Why go toxic with thinners? If it's really bad, wash the vehicle with car wash and a soft brush then clean it with Rapid Prep.

A really bad surface is something that wont wash off with a brush. Oldest Truck Body I have done recently was built in 1968, and a wash wouldn't cut it.

Stuckup

thinner will do nothing to a paint finish. paint thinner is useless in this situation. Paint thinner will NOT affect oxidation nor will it wash paint away.

Now you could always go on roof and dribble some urethane thinner down the side if want results like that....THAT is not what you wanna do. these suggestions are ludacris and your making more a damn mess than fixing the situation

I would wash the vehicle with one of the round bath lufas and some soft scrub, rinse and repeat. I have found soft scrub really cleans and removes all of this stuff. rubbing alcohol also will do it but damn you will use 30 rolls of paper towels!

SOFT SCRUB AND LUFA!

I am not talking water based thinners, and also if the Paint shop re painted these crappy monoliths, well, I'm sure with the extra paint and primers the panel shops want to use, there's more toxins all up than just using a litre of thinners. Scourer + thinners, + dry wipe off rags, = smooth finish

d fleming

Eagle one car wash gets oxidation off like mad. Friend of mine bought a used 6x12 white trailer that was badly oxidized. Hit it with a good wash of Eagle One and rags + elbow grease, looked like someone poured a 55 gallon drum of milk down the pavement when rinsed. Lettered it over a year ago, still looks great. Was totally impressed with the condition of paint after a good wash.

Stuckup

Eagle one car wash gets oxidation off like mad. Friend of mine bought a used 6x12 white trailer that was badly oxidized. Hit it with a good wash of Eagle One and rags + elbow grease, looked like someone poured a 55 gallon drum of milk down the pavement when rinsed. Lettered it over a year ago, still looks great. Was totally impressed with the condition of paint after a good wash.

OMG, you do know in Australia we dont get your access to quality new gear. If we do, no one shares it, if they share it they want a big pay out. Seriously, if its here Ill try it. Thank you.

Stuckup

i also do pottery.........ceramic coatings .........hehehehehehehehe
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Potter-Joe/138414992919247
i forgot to mention PRESSURE WASHER...... for the truck you discribed. but then as i tell people who bring me crap like that instead of taking it to a professional vehicle wash/body shop..............I TELL THEM, i charge SIGN INSTALLATION PRICES for doing a vehicle wash!!!! they usually get the idea, that they ARE RESPONSIBLE for the surface condidtion of the vehicle...........they want lettered!!!!

I do Installs, But have to make a customers Surface usable. I have to warranty my work, or I would only earn wages. I usually have to complete multiple jobs in 1 day or less, I do go for short cuts, but will warranty all my work unless stated otherwise. ANY job I install with supplied QUALITY materials I will warrant. I re do job, for free, and manufacturer pays me back.

Stuckup

thinner will do nothing to a paint finish. paint thinner is useless in this situation. Paint thinner will NOT affect oxidation nor will it wash paint away.

Now you could always go on roof and dribble some urethane thinner down the side if want results like that....THAT is not what you wanna do. these suggestions are ludacris and your making more a damn mess than fixing the situation

I would wash the vehicle with one of the round bath lufas and some soft scrub, rinse and repeat. I have found soft scrub really cleans and removes all of this stuff. rubbing alcohol also will do it but damn you will use 30 rolls of paper towels!

SOFT SCRUB AND LUFA!

Have you tried THINNERS?

OldPaint

how old are you and how long you been doing this? who or how did you come to all the conclusions(mostly WRONG ONES)post#22. WHAT IS THE STUFF your calling "thinners?"
i know down under words are sometimes not the same meaning up here. like i posted earlier, there are many different "thinners, reducers" in the paint world. you could also wash the thing with GASOLINE.....some consider it a thinner.

MikePro

i use 90% isopropyl alcohol and a slew of clean rags. works like a charm.
washing truck as you would your car, letting dry, and then wiping down each section with isopropyl (extra care to get around every rivot and the "frame" of my tile) just before I apply each piece.

added note: paint thinner/denatured alcohol could work, i guess, but it's overkill. you also might be setting yourself up to damage the paint job, and your health (if not, at least your hands), if you get carried-away.

OldPaint

When I hear paint thinner I think mineral spirits...which is a petroleum distillate...AKA gasoline
GASOLINE & MINERAL SPIRITS are no where near the same!!!

Mineral spirits is a mild, low volatility petroleum distillate that can be used for degreasing and cleaning machinery and, along with cutting oil, as a lubricant for the cutting and reaming of screw threads.
n the distillation process, chemicals such as aliphatic (paraffin) and alicyclic (cyclo-propane) hydrocarbons are combined with alkyl aromatic (benzene) hydrocarbons to produce the three most common types of mineral spirits. Type I has been subject to hydro-desulfurization where most of the sulfur is removed from the distillate. Type II is basically a solvent extraction where hydro-treatment removes most aromatic hydrocarbons. Type III is processed with hydrogenation, the addition of hydrogen. What all this means is that the atomic structure of the various hydrocarbons which form the distillate of each type of mineral spirits have been interchanged for different applications.
TURPINTINE is obtained from trees.

Mike F

Think I'm a little out of my league here with all the chemical talk but, wouldn't bar keeper's friend work for this?

Stuckup

What is Bar Keepers Friend, willing to try anything, always something or someone better. OMG I love controversy, actually brings out what people think, the Truth and new Ideas.

visual800

can we stop talking about thinners and get back to the sensible solution.

wash the truck with a lufa and soft scrub OR as other guy said use alcohol and tons of rags. I prefer washing as all that alcohol wiping sucks been there done that