• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

painting raw aluminum- what to use

slappy

I have to make an address topper on an existing sign.

I talked to a guy friend that has a metal fabricating shop. Has lots of metal there from me to pick from and i just got back.

I figured aluminum cause it will not rust and that is what the street signs are...

So what can i paint this with? I need to match the cream color somewhat that the cabinet color is. Won't matter if the color is off as the sign is faded.

It's a 7"x50" blank aluminum that i will bend about 2" of it to shape it into a "L" shape to mount to the cabinet ( the 2" will be the base) and i need to paint it to match the cabinet.

What primer and paint should i use and what prep work is necessary to make it stay?
\
Thanks a bunch!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

rjssigns

Sherwin-Williams auto paint makes a direct to metal primer that works well. I can't remember the P/N though. I'm sure there are others.

slappy

Thank you RJ!

I have DTM bonding primer here from Sherwin from another job that i had to paint aluminalite a different color before.. Are you referring to that product?

B66 A 50 is on the can...

rjssigns

Right now I'd be lying if I tried to tell ya. I have a friend that sells SW auto paint and he mixes only what I need. Last batch of DTM primer came ready to shoot in a plain container. Boy I'm a big help aren't I? (absolutely useless today when it comes to remembering)

OldPaint

does this "metal man" have access to PRE-PAINTED/POWDER COATED ALUMINUM????? would make the process of paintin it another color a lot simpler. bare aluminum, usuall needs to be ETCHED with some kinda acid/chemical so paint will adhere to it. old days we did a vinager wash....then a ZINC CHROMATE PRIMER. THEN YOU CAN PAINT ON IT. NOW they stopped the use of ZINC CHROMATE and there are some paints that supposedly bond to aluminum...........best idea is to get it PRE-PAINTED.... and color.....then repaint like you would a car/truck.

letterman7

Sand the aluminum before you bend. Spray afterwards with a primer, then paint. Any epoxy based primer will work.

Mosh

A small sign like that just cover it in vinyl. By the time you etch, prime and paint you are going to have a lot in that. 2 yards of film and you are done.

slappy

Thanks for the replies :smile:

He told me zinc chromate also like Joe mentioned....

OP, i was just looking at what i can use around his shop so i wouldn't have to order a painted sheet in. The peice i need is only 7"x10" and he is only charging me $20 to bend it, drill some mounting holes in it and angle the ends and remove the burs.

Mosh,
I also thought about just vinyl-ing it. All the reflective sign blanks i order just have reflective 3m on it...and like you stated, it's so small so i might do that instead

Techman

As mentioned above.
Aluminum must have an etching primer. That is MUST have it. Zinc Chromate was the standard for generations.
Rustoleum has a good primer for aluminum.
Moeller does as well.

That green that starts to show after you sand a prepainted panel is zinc chromate primer.

then paint. Any epoxy based primer will work.
Yes,, but only after the primer...

Zingers Bullseye 1-2-3 primer can only be used over a etching primer.

petrosgraphics

mathews paint makes a great primer for this... you can use it on new or*

*old copper as well... it is called: spray bond.... it works really well..*

*you can brush it on.. when it dries it remains a little tacky... does not*

* take very long..... spray finish *soon after....

slappy

Just got my sign i'm doing all bent and ready from "Metal Man" :cool: Very impressed with his tools and machines.

So, Zinc Chromate has been off the market for two years now I was told from a auto paint shop. May be hard to find unless someone is sitting on some old stock.

I was then referred to using Sem's Self Etching Primer which was mentioned here by gnatt66.

So from that i have to use a regular primer then the paint... If i choose to go the spray paint route.

My question now is>>>>
What should i clean the aluminum with and prep with?? Here is a pic of how it turned out. (don't mind our shop)
View attachment 90377

Dawn, Simple green>>>> etc? Rapid Prep? Is there a different prep method from applying paint or vinyl??

I'm going to look at the sign again that this sign is going to be attached on. I forgot my color chart to match up vinyl when i was there, but if i can match it up somewhat close using vinyl, i may go that direction.... (need to think a tad more on that, suggestions or vote on that would be great also which way you would go) The size of this is 55"wx6"h with a 2" bottom bend with 4-3/16th holes i had put in to mount...

Thanks for all the help :smile:

John Butto

This stuff is a two part aerosol mixture that mixes in the can as you spray, one can will do your panel. Tells you how to prep your material on the can.

OldPaint

pre-clean with vinegar.the stronger the better. most you buy in stores is a small percent vinegar. this also helps "etch" the aluminum. the problem with ALUMINUM & PAINT........without etching solution, zinc chromate primer.........the primers/paints will not bite into the aluminum. in a short time THE PAINT WILL PEEL OFF!!!!!! and you will be on the hook for poor workmanship....so you aint doin yourself any good by doing this WRONG!!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's all kinds of ways to do this as you've seen here in this thread. To do it correctly, it's a lota work and elbow grease.

I think the bigger lesson here is..... although you saved some money up front by buying a small piece of material.... unless you are set up to do this, you should've spent the money on getting the material you could easily have worked on instead of all this extra work of prepping, cleaning, etching, priming, top coats.... not to mention all the supplies you have to buy for this little sign. Then, you'd still have inventory left over for other jobs. :wink:

OldPaint

IF...YOU WOULDA GOT A PAINTED PIECE OF ALUMINUM....................
you could paint right on it with a SPRAY CAN....the color you want.........all the bonding/priming problems......was already taken care of.....