• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Parallel or Serial?

I've recently done some reno's to the shop, and I ended up switching which plotter was switched up to what computer. The cable for one computer ended up being Parallel insted of Serial simply because of the length of cable I had. I had this Rolland Camm1 PNC-1100 cutting all day yesterday with no problems, but when I got to work this morning whenever I go to plot something the program seems to freeze for about 2 minutes or so. I've haven't installed any new software on the computer, and I've done a virus scan to no avail. I was thinking perhaps this computer just doesn't like being hooked up via Parallel port. Does anybody have any words of wisdom? This is really hindering my output.

Cheers,
Trev

Techman

some plotters must have two way handshaking between it and the computer. It takes the correct cable to do that.

Make sure your cables are correct.

Cadmn

Rolands are picky the serial cable has to be made special to work not just any serial cable will work. sounds like program is waiting on instruction from cutter.I run my 960 Parallel but parallel is only good for certain distances, serial is needed for longer distances.

Last edited:

signage

Go into device manager and see what you parallel port is set as ecp, epp? Also see if there are any icons in device manager!

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
You need to go to the printer driver, and reset where it is to output the file to- either LPt, or Com1- it won't know which one automatically. Change it and you need to tell it.

The special roland serial lead has a couple of wires crossed over- do a search here for serial roland camm1 lead, and I put a pinup diagram here a few years ago which you should be able to find.