Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pattern making from 3d model, exactflat or alternitives

Discussion in '3D Modeling' started by joelswork, Jan 18, 2020.

1. joelswork

joelswork Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Louisville
    Hey guys,

My niche is demanding something from me that I cannot design with my current abilities. Does anyone use exactflat or a similar program for pattern making around complex 3d shapes?

Tags:
  2. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    Pretty vague question, can you give an example of what you want to flatten? What software you have, what format the models are and the models geometry will have a huge impact...

3. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    Are you talking gaussian surfaces (compound curves) that need to have distortion in order to flatten? There are many solutions out there and most CAD packages have some functionality built in. Fusion360 has decent surface flattening abilities including deformation plots.

4. joelswork

joelswork Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Louisville
    It is for some tools that are very similar to maybe a PS4 controller wrap. I've done basic flattening but getting the design to lay flat without tenting is a beast

5. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    In that case I would use a surface modeling software to model the surface and then flatten, you can use a deformation plot to see where the material needs to shrink or stretch and by how much. depending on the surface and the material used you can tweak the design to fit the needs of the material. For example you can "design" in less material if tenting is an issue so that the vinyl in under tension in those areas instead of compression.Obviously there are physical limitations, but a little trial and error will get things a bit better and the modeling helps to visualize what the material is trying to overcome.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What sort of niche are you in? BTW, trying to check your website to get a better idea did not lead me to your sign website...