• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pattern making from 3d model, exactflat or alternitives

joelswork

Hey guys,

My niche is demanding something from me that I cannot design with my current abilities. Does anyone use exactflat or a similar program for pattern making around complex 3d shapes?

Evan Gillette

Pretty vague question, can you give an example of what you want to flatten? What software you have, what format the models are and the models geometry will have a huge impact...

Evan Gillette

Are you talking gaussian surfaces (compound curves) that need to have distortion in order to flatten? There are many solutions out there and most CAD packages have some functionality built in. Fusion360 has decent surface flattening abilities including deformation plots.

joelswork

Pretty vague question, can you give an example of what you want to flatten? What software you have, what format the models are and the models geometry will have a huge impact...
It is for some tools that are very similar to maybe a PS4 controller wrap. I've done basic flattening but getting the design to lay flat without tenting is a beast

Evan Gillette

In that case I would use a surface modeling software to model the surface and then flatten, you can use a deformation plot to see where the material needs to shrink or stretch and by how much. depending on the surface and the material used you can tweak the design to fit the needs of the material. For example you can "design" in less material if tenting is an issue so that the vinyl in under tension in those areas instead of compression.Obviously there are physical limitations, but a little trial and error will get things a bit better and the modeling helps to visualize what the material is trying to overcome.

Dale D

Yeah, I looked at Exactflat.... $9900.00 for the software is definitely steep. There are a few software programs that can accomplish the same thing, but its more manual right now.