• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paying employees to wrap their personal cars to advertise for the company???

wildside

I do not believe OP's idea of wrapping a car and put their signature on a corner will make that car a commercial vehicle.

agreed, i was under the impression by the op, that the company was going to be advertised, not a 2" blurb of "wrapped by"...

i was thinking, big company logo, phone number, website etc....ya know, advertising

just a little blurb i wouldn't even mess with or worry about, however i would make my employees pay me to do it if that is the route being taken......

kgirl

The hospital that I work part time for gives us a slight pay increase and pays for our gas....only if we drive trucks or SUV's....which I do....

TheSnowman

When I went to the Fellers wrap class, they were kind of in the middle of wrapping a ton of employee's cars. I remember seeing a ton in the catalog I think. They didn't do them with "Fellers" all over them, they just did a personality for that person and combined it in with the car. I can see how that would be a good idea as a conversation starter for all kinds of places, and they could then refer those people to the shop, but I don't think putting the shops name all over the employee vehicles would be a great idea.

Cale Frederick

When I went to the Fellers wrap class, they were kind of in the middle of wrapping a ton of employee's cars. I remember seeing a ton in the catalog I think. They didn't do them with "Fellers" all over them, they just did a personality for that person and combined it in with the car. I can see how that would be a good idea as a conversation starter for all kinds of places, and they could then refer those people to the shop, but I don't think putting the shops name all over the employee vehicles would be a great idea.

That catalog was actually what got our boss thinking about that.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and sorry I didn't make myself as clear as I should have in my first post. I already have my hood wrapped (not company related) and that alone generates a good bit of business. So our CEO thought 20 wraps or so at our office would generate more.

cdiesel

agreed, i was under the impression by the op, that the company was going to be advertised, not a 2" blurb of "wrapped by"...

i was thinking, big company logo, phone number, website etc....ya know, advertising

just a little blurb i wouldn't even mess with or worry about, however i would make my employees pay me to do it if that is the route being taken......

I'll play devil's advocate:

What's the difference? Size of the logo? The fact that the employee works at the place being advertised? The fact the employees would be compensated for the advertising?

So if I put a small Oakley logo on my car, they're not liable, but if I put a big one on it they are? If I put Oakley's website they're liable?

gnemmas

Commercial or not commercial on cars, suvs or even pick-up are defined by the "USE", not by appearance.

I can give your car a free paint job, in exchange, " Painted FREE by: www.painturcarfree.com " across the back window, doesn't make your car a commercial vehicle.

Prowrap, not wrapping you shop vehicle, it is still commercial if it is used for delivery or other shop duty, unless it is just for commuting.

That was what OP's ideas, those employees are not using their vehicles for shop duties. With a special paint job (wrap), with www.wrap4free.com on the back window.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Commercial or not commercial on cars, suvs or even pick-up are defined by the "USE", not by appearance.

I can give your car a free paint job, in exchange, " Painted FREE by: www.painturcarfree.com " across the back window, doesn't make your car a commercial vehicle.

Prowrap, not wrapping you shop vehicle, it is still commercial if it is used for delivery or other shop duty, unless it is just for commuting.

That was what OP's ideas, those employees are not using their vehicles for shop duties. With a special paint job (wrap), with www.wrap4free.com on the back window.

None of your stuff showed up, but if you think spelling a word out doesn't count because you say so, Then just print in water colors F U C K across the side of your car, SUV or whatever kinda vehicle you think it is you can do this to and see if you aren't pulled over for what it says.

If that's too drastic for you, try adding whatever it is you want to add, take it to YOUR insurance company and see who's liable should something go wrong.

As Frank Fellers did, all his employees vehicles were wrapped with generic non-advertising artwork. He had non-what-so-ever connection with them.

Like you said, you can decorate your personal vehicle anyway you want, but once it becomes a form of any kind of advertisement..... you just changed your insurance policy and how you act in that vehicle. The vehicle should have to be re-registered to be legal.

All these people running around with this stuff on their vehicles is for the most part wrong. Do they get pulled over ?? Probably not, cause it ain't worth the hassle. However, that same vehicle suddenly gets involved in an accident or hurts someone and worse.... your insurance company is gonna want to know why you didn't tell them and perhaps, you might have voided out your policy without knowing it. Rather than listen to us, why not ask your insurance agent point blank to show it to you...... IN WRITING.

Over the years I listened to too many a$$holes tell me what they thought and found out different when something happened.

Now, if you want to advertise for Toys-For-Tots or something temporarily, that's different. But something like a paint job or a wrap... there's no way you're gonna talk yourself out of someone advertising on a non-commercial registered vehicle for free.

wildside

I'll play devil's advocate:

What's the difference? Size of the logo? The fact that the employee works at the place being advertised? The fact the employees would be compensated for the advertising?

So if I put a small Oakley logo on my car, they're not liable, but if I put a big one on it they are? If I put Oakley's website they're liable?

what i am referring to is, wrapping a personal vehicle with whatever the person wants and then real small putting "wrapped by", is just a personal vehicle, just like putting oakley decal on, nothing commercial about it

i thought the op was saying that they were going to wrap the employees cars with company information making it look like a company vehicle and then paying them anything for it creates a business class vehicle as it is being paid to do business

cdiesel

I just spoke to our insurance agent to get some clarification. She said that in the case of wrapping (or any advertising for that matter) on any vehicle does not carry any liability for the advertiser. The only case in which this may be an issue (and it would be an issue, with or without an advertisement on the vehicle, as gnemmas said above, a vehicle is defined by its USE, not what's written on it), is if your employees are doing WORK in said vehicle. Any vehicle that is used in the course of normal business, such as making sales calls, deliveries, etc, is a potential for liability for the company. Of course, if you're in the business of selling mobile advertisement (such as the billboard trucks that run around), I guess this could qualify as "course of normal business".

She also told me that we have an additional rider on our policy that covers "hired & non-owned vehicles", so in our case we are covered even though we would not have any liability.

We have seven of our employees' personal vehicles that are wrapped. All are wrapped the same (with the exception of one color change) with our company info.

gnemmas

Gino,

Take a sip and relax! Those site names are made up for my statement.

So I am driving Chevy CRUZE, with all their logos on 4 sides, I better go re-register, yes siree.

many years ago i did the graphics production and installation for an ad campaign for efool.com where they would make a private owner's car payment for one year in exchange their vehicle was wrapped in their branding. it was a very successful campaign and a few times a week a vehicle hauler would show up at my shop with a semi full of volkswagen bugs, they had some requirments (it had to be a vw bug new body style) and there was a limit as to what they would pay per month (if you had no car payment you got a check) from memory it was something like $250 per month.

we wrapped literally hundreds of them..and then it just stopped.

that is the most organized, professional program i have seen in this regard.

I;ve also seen a few other companies that would offer compensation to high mileage drivers in major metro areas but they were always very poorly organized efforts to say the least.

I've seen a few programs where employees wrapped their vehicles fro the company that they worked for but the majority of the projects such as this were company owned vehicles that were wrapped and provided as a benefit to the employees for obvious reasons, insurance, etc.

CheapVehicleWrap

Just a quick reference to what I was talking about. Sorry bad design I through together for illustration purposes. The little oval in the window would be where it says wrapped by:

picture.php

picture.php

I LIKE the design.

Desert_Signs

None of your stuff showed up, but if you think spelling a word out doesn't count because you say so, Then just print in water colors F U C K across the side of your car, SUV or whatever kinda vehicle you think it is you can do this to and see if you aren't pulled over for what it says.

You must live in "small town" America.

I see 4 letter words on cars/trucks out here all the time. Probably daily. And I don't drive that much. Heck, they even have big old ball sacks hanging off the back.

If that crap doesn't go on where you live, I have to honestly say I'm jealous.

S'N'S

Cale just do like Diesel and ask your insurance agent instead of listening to keyboard lawyers.

cdiesel

Yep, took all of three minutes on the phone, and that was with me spending the last two being 100% certain and throwing every possible scenario at her. May vary from state to state..