• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paypal help

yamaha581

Hi,
I put a paypal shopping cart on our website a while ago and I just recently changed the background color to white. My problem now is that the field boxes dont have a border so you cant see the box. If you click it will let you type I just think its confusing for some people. When I have the paypal code in dreamweaver all the text fields have a gray border and when I paste the code into the site host spot for html the preview shows a gray border. However when I publish the site there is no border on it except for the dropdown options. Would anyone know how to fix this?
Thank you
Eric

yamaha581

Ok so I tried that and I guess I have no idea what im doing lol. I tried what you had said and I even went and made a style sheet for a 1px border. I can past the part of the code im having the problem with if it would help.
Thank you!

4R Graphics

I use dreamweaver post the code and I will see if I can help.

What the others said should work.

Post the code.

Are you using Java, php, css in a separate sheet or is it all html?

yamaha581

Heres the code:

<table>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on0" value="Select Options">Select Options</td></tr><tr><td><select name="os0">
<option value="Full Bike Kit">Full Bike Kit $179.00 USD</option>
<option value="Trim Kit (No # Plates)">Trim Kit (No # Plates) $139.00 USD</option>
<option value="Pre Printed # Plates">Pre Printed # Plates $65.00 USD</option>
<option value="Shrouds">Shrouds $65.00 USD</option>
</select> </td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on1" value="Model (Call or email if not listed)">Model (Call or email if not listed)</td></tr><tr><td><select name="os1">
<option value="2013">2013 </option>
<option value="2012">2012 </option>
<option value="2011">2011 </option>
<option value="2010">2010 </option>
<option value="2009">2009 </option>
<option value="2008">2008 </option>
<option value="2007">2007 </option>
<option value="2006">2006 </option>
<option value="2005">2005 </option>
<option value="2004">2004 </option>
<option value="2003">2003 </option>
<option value="2002">2002 </option>
<option value="2001">2001 </option>
<option value="2000">2000 </option>
<option value="1999">1999 </option>
</select> </td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on3" value="Rider Name">Rider Name</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" border="1px solid black" name="os3" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on4" value="Rider Number">Rider Number</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" border="1px solid black" name="os4" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on5" value="Shroud Logos (choose up to 2 additional logos)">Shroud Logos (choose up to 2 additional logos)</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os5" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on6" value="Front Fender Logos (choose up to 3 logos)">Front Fender Logos (choose up to 3 logos)</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os6" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on7" value="Rear Fender Logos (choose up to 8 logos)">Rear Fender Logos (choose up to 8 logos)</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os7" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on8" value="Air Box Logos (choose up to 3 logos)">Air Box Logos (choose up to 3 logos)</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os8" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on9" value="Fork Guard Logos (choose up to 3 logos)">Fork Guard Logos (choose up to 3 logos)</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os9" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on10" value="Swingarm Logos (choose up to 3 logos)">Swingarm Logos (choose up to 3 logos)</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os10" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on11" value="Number Plate Background Color">Number Plate Background Color</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os11" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on12" value="Main Color">Main Color</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os12" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on13" value="Accent Color 1">Accent Color 1</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os13" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on14" value="Accent Color 2">Accent Color 2</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os14" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on15" value="Name Location">Name Location</td></tr><tr><td><select name="os15">
<option value="Front Plate Only">Front Plate Only</option>
<option value="Side Plates Only">Side Plates Only</option>
<option value="All 3 Plates">All 3 Plates</option>
<option value="None">None</option>
</select> </td></tr>
<tr><td><input type="hidden" name="on16" value="Special Notes">Special Notes</td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" name="os16" maxlength="200"></td></tr>
</table>

I actually found out that it is showing up with a border on another site I tried it on. It shows up with the border in dreamweaver and when im pasting the code into the html section of the site but it doesnt show up when i publish it.

I actually got rid of the one I had with the borders because ive been trying a couple different ones but all I did was make a style sheet and applied it to each one and in dreamweaver it showed the black but it still wouldnt show up.

yamaha581

I attached two pictures just for you to get an idea. The one on the left is how it looks when i paste the code before I publish it and then on the right is how it looks on the published site.

Attachments

• website example1.JPG
    website example1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 82
  • website example2.JPG
    website example2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 89

4R Graphics

I just pasted your code to a new page and uploaded it to my servers and in google chrome and Internet explorer 9 it looks right.

I am not sure why you are having a problem.

You could change the background color and see if that works for you here is the code.

Style="background-color: #999;"

Copy all of it and put it right before the border code.
This will give you a medium grey color inside the text area.
You can change the color by deleting everything between : and ; and in dreamweaver hit the space bar and double click on the word color in the pop up and you can select the color you want.

You could also try to add the Style attribute to the code you already have Example:

<td><input type="text" Style= "border:1px solid black;" name="os3" maxlength="200"></td>

notice the added Style="border: and the ; just before the closing quotes.
You have to have the : between border and the px size.

see if that works for you.

4R Graphics

Just a heads up you are using tables which is fine but the better way is to use CSS and divs on your page as most spiders do not read or crawl tables very well.

in fact for what you posted all you need are labels and text areas inside the form attribute.

Here is a snip of code from a form to contact us on our website.
<p>
<label>Name: </label>
<br>
<input type="text" name="name" value=''>
</p>

this will display like this

Name:
textbox here

The <p> just says new paragraph (new line) the </p> is just good to close all of your code off.

<label> is saying display this on the screen
<br> means brake or skip to next line <b> means space like hitting the space bar.
<input type= Well you know this is the textbox for input from user

Value= is what is displayed in the box on page load leave blank for a blank box.

yamaha581

Thanks again for all the responses. Im going to go ahead and try to see what I can understand from this and see if I can get it to work lol.
Thank you!

yamaha581

Ok I got that problem all fixed. I have one more thing to ask about paypal though. There are some sites that add a discount box to the options so that you can enter a code and then it will subtract the discount from the final price. I have looked around and cant figure out how to do it and paypal doesnt have a button just for that. Has anyone done this before?
Thank you!

4R Graphics

If you are using the buttons and not a shopping cart not sure how you would do it off the top of my head.

If your using a shopping cart then that will be shopping cart specific.

Do you have a link to the webpages your working on so I could run through it and see how your system is working to figure out if you could perhaps add some php to do what you want to do.

Do you display the totals for the sale before it goes to pay pal if so you could use some code to change the subtotal before it goes to paypal.

Knowing your site and how the flow goes would be very helpful.

yamaha581

If you are using the buttons and not a shopping cart not sure how you would do it off the top of my head.

If your using a shopping cart then that will be shopping cart specific.

Do you have a link to the webpages your working on so I could run through it and see how your system is working to figure out if you could perhaps add some php to do what you want to do.

Do you display the totals for the sale before it goes to pay pal if so you could use some code to change the subtotal before it goes to paypal.

Knowing your site and how the flow goes would be very helpful.

I have it all set up with a shopping cart for paypal so they add everything to a shopping cart.

Here is a link to one of the pages that I would need the discount box on:
http://www.mxgraphics.org/honda-slash-graphics

I have it so that they add the item to the cart then it takes them to paypal but they dont have to pay right away. The one I saw was they would enter the discount code in the text box and then they would check the code before they added it to the cart.

Thank you!

4R Graphics

Ok well that is not a true shopping cart system as most would think of but it does function like a cart.
Since everything is hosted actually on paypals site and not yours I wasnt really sure so i did a little digging over at paypal here are 2 links that should get you going.

You will need to learn php for one and javascript for the other.

I highly cant stress it enough highly recommend you use the php as this is much more secure as your customers wont see the promo code and the discount rate by looking at your html code and its much harder for them to spoof and get stuff super discounted.

Php is not overly difficult just google it if you have problems.
The links are in https so they may not work you will need to log into paypal account then copy and paste the link.

PHP use this one if you can.
https://www.x.com/developers/community/blogs/ppintegrationsnate/php-script-discount-code-buttons

Javascript try not to use this for security reasons.
https://www.x.com/developers/community/blogs/ppintegrationsnate/add-cart-button-discount-code

Hope those help you out.

4R Graphics

webguru beat me he posted while I was typing.
the link webguru posted is the same as the javascript link I posted it will work and may be easier to figure out but the php is far more secure.

signswi

Hire a developer/web designer or go to a managed SaaS ecommerce solution, don't waste time you should be using on your business learning another discipline you're way behind in.