• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PC-60 Banding Issues

Sign Works

I'd like to quote OP from another thread yesterday....

"" 95% of computer and component problems......... ARE OPERATOR ERROR))))))))))))) ""

Are the ColorCamms problematic?

Well they do have a few quirks but I have found most of them can be overcome with minimal effort applied. I can show you prints that would amaze you and not just small stuff either. I think most PC users tried an unsuccessful aproach to achieve good print results, they continously tried to fix the machine instead of looking to the artwork, I'll give you an example... The machine seems to have trouble printing a blue to white gradient without banding BUT if you print let's say a blue sky with white fluffy clouds (which is basically the same thing) it prints beautifully so you have to ask yourself what is the difference between these two files, solution - Rasterize gradients or better yet create them in Photoshop at high res, add a touch of noise , save as tiff, mask Tiff file into your vector artwork and presto a clean smooth gradient print. This is just one small example but to sum it up briefly I simply experimented with the machine to find out what it prints flawlessly and that's how I built the files for print on the PC-600.

In response to the outragous operating costs I found a solution to that as well. I purchased a large quantity of Roland ribbons off an internet auction for roughly $5 each so for me to print full color CMY is roughly $1.88 per sq ft. Now for example if I'm doin a set of truck doors for $250.00-$400.00 I think $11.00 to $15.00 in ink costs is definetly not gonna break me and would probably spend more in vinyl costs if the job were done in multiple color cut vinyl.

This post is not meant to be argumentative at all, it's just to let you know that there is always more than one way to look at a situation and that each individual actually has the ability to choose their own perception of that situation. Oh and that YES the Colorcams have been used in a profitable, productive & professional environment. I am not trying to cut corners or get by with less, as a matter of fact my Versacamm sits right around the corner in the other room while my PC-600 accomadates this work station and that's where it will stay "working & making me money"

Man I'll probably really get it for this one, maybe I'll just pull out the Busa and go for a real ride (absoloutly no alcohol involved) :thumb:

Pat Whatley

I just got a PC-60 about 3-4 months ago.

How much did they pay you to take it? :wink:

Seriously, banding was always an issue with the Color Camm. Our literally spent more time in the repair shop than it spent in our shop. In one six month span it was in for repairs or adjustments 13 weeks. I think we managed to print about $1000 worth of jobs with it before abandoning it. Rolands "Oh, it must be your fault...our machine is perfect" attitude is the reason we refused to consider buying Versacamms.

That said, your problem doesn't appear to be a printer problem. The banding is only on the letter, not that background. I think SignWorks has got the right idea.

woolly

I am using Roland cartridges. They are the ones that came with the machine, so I assume they are old ribbons. Also the ribbon looked fairly haggard when I got them so I advanced the ribbon so it looked like a fresh ribbon. Also I did advance them the correct way.

My example was actually not a good one. When I get all 4cp printed, it bands on every color. I will try and get a better example later today.

I also have a set of brand new ZenoNine ribbons here that are still in the box, never opened.

hi all the carts for resin ribbons have roland on them but the ribbon may be a refill.

spot colour fades are the worst print area for the pc60 because of the narrow ribbon reducing the output dpi helps as does oem ribbons. the feed compensation should be 0.
you may like to try photo mode but will have a colour shift.

the other way was to convert the fade to a halftone print in spot mode.

i still have and use mine since the day they came out about 12 years or so. and still love the output for the right job. got bigger toys for the fades etc.

woolly

tommythesignguy

Helpful...Thanks!

I'd like to quote OP from another thread yesterday....

"" 95% of computer and component problems......... ARE OPERATOR ERROR))))))))))))) ""

Are the ColorCamms problematic?

Well they do have a few quirks but I have found most of them can be overcome with minimal effort applied. I can show you prints that would amaze you and not just small stuff either. I think most PC users tried an unsuccessful aproach to achieve good print results, they continously tried to fix the machine instead of looking to the artwork, I'll give you an example... The machine seems to have trouble printing a blue to white gradient without banding BUT if you print let's say a blue sky with white fluffy clouds (which is basically the same thing) it prints beautifully so you have to ask yourself what is the difference between these two files, solution - Rasterize gradients or better yet create them in Photoshop at high res, add a touch of noise , save as tiff, mask Tiff file into your vector artwork and presto a clean smooth gradient print. This is just one small example but to sum it up briefly I simply experimented with the machine to find out what it prints flawlessly and that's how I built the files for print on the PC-600.

In response to the outragous operating costs I found a solution to that as well. I purchased a large quantity of Roland ribbons off an internet auction for roughly $5 each so for me to print full color CMY is roughly $1.88 per sq ft. Now for example if I'm doin a set of truck doors for $250.00-$400.00 I think $11.00 to $15.00 in ink costs is definetly not gonna break me and would probably spend more in vinyl costs if the job were done in multiple color cut vinyl.

This post is not meant to be argumentative at all, it's just to let you know that there is always more than one way to look at a situation and that each individual actually has the ability to choose their own perception of that situation. Oh and that YES the Colorcams have been used in a profitable, productive & professional environment. I am not trying to cut corners or get by with less, as a matter of fact my Versacamm sits right around the corner in the other room while my PC-600 accomadates this work station and that's where it will stay "working & making me money"

Man I'll probably really get it for this one, maybe I'll just pull out the Busa and go for a real ride (absoloutly no alcohol involved) :thumb:

MEISTER

Ok, So I tried plotting to the paper with the black ribbon cut, so it imaged directly onto plain uncoated paper. That did not work.

So I replaced all the CMYK cartridges with brand new ZeroNine cartridges. Still no change.

I looked though all the settings too. I change the smooth Smooth Blends function from "enhanced" to "super". Still no change.

So I looked though all the setting in the Production Manager and all the settings in the Rip & Print function and can't find anything else that ha to do with offset or line pitch.

Sign Works

Roland warned against using the head cleaning paper sheet as it can be too abrasive and possibly damage/destroy the print head.

The only time I found Z9 ribbons to be helpful was to hit a desired spot color . . . (or unless of course you just want your prints to fade out really really fast, seriously!)

The only setting changes I found necessary within Flexi's Production Manager was to change the factory default color settings Rendering Intents.
Vector Graphics - Spot Color
Bitmap Images - Relative Colormetric
I also found I got better overall print quality using Rolands Output Profiles instead of the profiles provided with Flexi, I just downloaded them off Roland's site.

This topic was pretty much beat to death a few years back in the Roland Forum, I'm sure you could find some useful info within the archives there. I do recall a lot of users claimed to get smoother gradients by changing Dither Type and or Screen settings, mainly by reducing the line frequency of the screen or even changing the color of the screen from the Cyan default setting. Have you tried using a bitmap image gradient as I previously suggested? That always seemed to be the quickest solution for me. Hope something here helps, good luck.

By the way you mention a "Smooth Blends Function" I'm running Flexi 6.5 & 8 and cannot find this anywhere, I'm just curious, where the heck is this?