• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PC-60 Banding Issues

MEISTER

I just got a PC-60 about 3-4 months ago. I'm running FlexiPro 7.6v2. Everything is working fine. Got everything to print, cut and profiled.

Now I'm facing banding issues. I adjusted the line pitch per the Roland manual. I tried the -.02 setting on the first test but that was a little too much. So I backed it off to -.01. Still not good enough. Default is not much better than -.01 and both band fairly bad. (see picture below)

Is there there something I am overlooking like a setting in the program? Would a head clean kit solve my problem?

rolandpc60_test.jpg

tommythesignguy

I just got a PC-60 about 3-4 months ago. I'm running FlexiPro 7.6v2. Everything is working fine. Got everything to print, cut and profiled.

Now I'm facing banding issues. I adjusted the line pitch per the Roland manual. I tried the -.02 setting on the first test but that was a little too much. So I backed it off to -.01. Still not good enough. Default is not much better than -.01 and both band fairly bad. (see picture below)

Is there there something I am overlooking like a setting in the program? Would a head clean kit solve my problem?

rolandpc60_test.jpg
I've ran into the same problem. I wish I could help. It seems that it is mostly on cyan, also. Mine kept breaking blue ribbons. I gave up and have a buddy print my stuff. I'm anxious to see your problem resolved. Good luck!

WoppTorr

:rolleyes:hmm, are you using new ribbons, sounds kinda like it was used before, and that might be the hit and miss thing thats going on, trying to print on a spot that was already printed before, had the same thing happen to me, trying to save some money, was a waste of vinyl...new form now on, just my input

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had that problem when using Duracoat and Zero Nine ribbons, but never with the Roland ribbons. Seems the after-market ribbons in order not to overstep boundaries [patents] were not allowed to be made with the same heat restrictions causing them to tear and not cover the full width of the ribbon at times. It happened sporadically….. and nothing covered it up.

Jackpine

I used Duracoat for over three years with one ribbon break. At $10 per they were 1/3 the cost of Roland. Try converting to an RGB bitmap and send as a eps if you are contour cutting.

you guys are learning what the rest of the signindustry learned MANY MANY years ago. These machines do not print at a level of acceptability for professional work.

MEISTER

I am using Roland cartridges. They are the ones that came with the machine, so I assume they are old ribbons. Also the ribbon looked fairly haggard when I got them so I advanced the ribbon so it looked like a fresh ribbon. Also I did advance them the correct way.

My example was actually not a good one. When I get all 4cp printed, it bands on every color. I will try and get a better example later today.

I also have a set of brand new ZenoNine ribbons here that are still in the box, never opened.

WoppTorr

well, maybe try to print a straight line like maybe 3 or 4 inches tall, see if the line looks good or jagid, might be a simple head adjustment, or maybe you'll need to test with brand new ribbons, just a thought.....

WoppTorr

somewhere someone said to put in a standard peice of paper and something about letting the head clean itself on that, can't rember where i seen that, thought it was here somewhere...

WoppTorr

found it, haven't tried this, but...take a old black cart and cut the ribbon reel in place in machine in stead of a black cart.
load a sheet of clean smooth un coated paper and print a black 25 mm square.
it will not print of cause but will fire the head against the paper.
you may be lucky if no improvement after 3 attempts you may well have had it.

hammered

I had the same issue Meister. Even after it came back from a new head. I replaced the Cyan cart with a fresh Zeronine manually cleaned the head and it has greatly lessened it the point of dont notice.

tommythesignguy

you guys are learning what the rest of the signindustry learned MANY MANY years ago. These machines do not print at a level of acceptability for professional work.
Dan, I realize that these machines are outdated. This machine was given to me, free!...and it is great for doing small jobs under the right circumstances. There is no harm in getting it to run at it's intended performance level. Although I can't bite the bullet and buy a newer printer, I do plenty of large format prints through other sources. I have been doing signs for over thirty years, but, seem to have to start over from square one, periodically (divorces, etc.,).
PS they did print acceptably, back in the day.:beer

Techman

they never printed well consistently back in the day. I knew of several owners back in the day and none of them got a consistently good print.

Dan, I realize that these machines are outdated. This machine was given to me, free!...and it is great for doing small jobs under the right circumstances. There is no harm in getting it to run at it's intended performance level. Although I can't bite the bullet and buy a newer printer, I do plenty of large format prints through other sources. I have been doing signs for over thirty years, but, seem to have to start over from square one, periodically (divorces, etc.,).
PS they did print acceptably, back in the day.:beer
Tommy I am all for doing with what you have..and free is a very good price. But having owned one of these machines and sold them and dealt with more customer issues than I care to remember...and spent more time than I care to remember pulling my hairout troubleshooting these machines to try and keep my customers happy and trying everything under the sun to try to come up with solutions so that professional shop owners could get their new machines to produce as advertised, I can think of VERY few situations where I could honestly say that these machines are the right tool for the job...unfortunately there are still people out there who think that they can avoid the cost of a new machine and by some miracle they will be able to do something that the industry was unable to do with this machine...if it was a great machine it would not have been discontinued,a machine like this at the original price point would have been a GOLDMINE to the manufacturer and the dealers who sold them...it was a nightmare and Roland dumped it like a hot potato.

about the only situation(s) I could recommend them for would be for a hobbiest focusing on lettering RC vehicles as the graphics are small and the customers are not as picky about the print quality, i knew a shop that used theirs soley for prototyping very small 2"X4" decals of what the finished sign would look like and placed the decal onto scale miniatures of what their signs would look like for representation purposes only and the only other application I could think of that you MAY be able to use this machine for and produce acceptable results *depending on your own personal level of quality control would be the printing of name badges....other than that in my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth even if the cost was FREE. But we all have our own levels of quality standards and not all clients are as picky as another nor as picky as most of us are as sign professionals *but that is another topic....there are many times that we produce products at a level of quality that our customers will never appreciate.

In my opinion You simply are better off outsourcing your work as the print quality is mediocre at best and I am sorry I ahve to disagree with you the print quality was NEVER acceptable, this machine has been plagued with print issues from the start and having sold, serviced and trained end users who purchased them it was problematic right out of the box...in addition the cost per square foot is simply outrageous compared to every other method of production available to all of us...especially when you take into consideration the mediocre quality they output. Not to mention all of the time you and everyone else spends trying to troubleshoot this outdated piece of equipment.

I know that there are some ppl that will argue that they get good results ...I have NEVER seen it consistently nor do I know anyone who has. I think that their pride gets in the way and they can not accept that they have bought a lemon and didnt heed the warnings...don't feel bad you got your lemon for free...many of us paid a premium price for them 'back in the day'... I know more shop owners than I can count who were so disappointed they vowed to NEVER buy another Roland product..which is sad because they followed up with great line of printers.

I am all for cutting costs, I am all for making do with what you have if it does the job appropriately and cost effectively. I can think of very few situations where this machine fits the bill, but to each his own. I just hate to see people continuously picking these things up used thinking that they have found a shortcut or a savings that we have all overlooked...only to pull their hair out until their patience runs out and then emailing me asking if I know anyone interested in taking it off their hands, or if I know where to get parts, or if I know someone who will service it, etc etc etc.

Let me know when you ride through my area and I'll call it a day early and go ride for the afternoon...I need to blow the dust off my bike.

tommythesignguy

Tommy I am all for doing with what you have..and free is a very good price. But having owned one of these machines and sold them and dealt with more customer issues than I care to remember...and spent more time than I care to remember pulling my hairout troubleshooting these machines to try and keep my customers happy and trying everything under the sun to try to come up with solutions so that professional shop owners could get their new machines to produce as advertised, I can think of VERY few situations where I could honestly say that these machines are the right tool for the job...unfortunately there are still people out there who think that they can avoid the cost of a new machine and by some miracle they will be able to do something that the industry was unable to do with this machine...if it was a great machine it would not have been discontinued,a machine like this at the original price point would have been a GOLDMINE to the manufacturer and the dealers who sold them...it was a nightmare and Roland dumped it like a hot potato.

about the only situation(s) I could recommend them for would be for a hobbiest focusing on lettering RC vehicles as the graphics are small and the customers are not as picky about the print quality, i knew a shop that used theirs soley for prototyping very small 2"X4" decals of what the finished sign would look like and placed the decal onto scale miniatures of what their signs would look like for representation purposes only and the only other application I could think of that you MAY be able to use this machine for and produce acceptable results *depending on your own personal level of quality control would be the printing of name badges....other than that in my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth even if the cost was FREE. But we all have our own levels of quality standards and not all clients are as picky as another nor as picky as most of us are as sign professionals *but that is another topic....there are many times that we produce products at a level of quality that our customers will never appreciate.

In my opinion You simply are better off outsourcing your work as the print quality is mediocre at best and I am sorry I ahve to disagree with you the print quality was NEVER acceptable, this machine has been plagued with print issues from the start and having sold, serviced and trained end users who purchased them it was problematic right out of the box...in addition the cost per square foot is simply outrageous compared to every other method of production available to all of us...especially when you take into consideration the mediocre quality they output. Not to mention all of the time you and everyone else spends trying to troubleshoot this outdated piece of equipment.

I know that there are some ppl that will argue that they get good results ...I have NEVER seen it consistently nor do I know anyone who has. I think that their pride gets in the way and they can not accept that they have bought a lemon and didnt heed the warnings...don't feel bad you got your lemon for free...many of us paid a premium price for them 'back in the day'... I know more shop owners than I can count who were so disappointed they vowed to NEVER buy another Roland product..which is sad because they followed up with great line of printers.

I am all for cutting costs, I am all for making do with what you have if it does the job appropriately and cost effectively. I can think of very few situations where this machine fits the bill, but to each his own. I just hate to see people continuously picking these things up used thinking that they have found a shortcut or a savings that we have all overlooked...only to pull their hair out until their patience runs out and then emailing me asking if I know anyone interested in taking it off their hands, or if I know where to get parts, or if I know someone who will service it, etc etc etc.

Let me know when you ride through my area and I'll call it a day early and go ride for the afternoon...I need to blow the dust off my bike.
Dan, I didn't mean to seem harsh. I have used this machine to make bumper stickers, even wrapped (partial) an rc car for a national proposal for large format wraps that went to car dealers. It served it's purpose. It is nice to cut from Corel occasionally, although slow. I would love to take a ride sometime, have a beer - maybe that was the problem with some of my posts.:beer