• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PCBs for signmakers

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
On the more nefarious side of things, I think of polychlorinated biphenyls and how it relates to disposing of said materials from ballasts used in old signage.

On the productive side of things, I think of printed circuit boards like those used in digital displays.

Using well-known initials or acronyms in a lesser-known manner can be a double-edged sword that often changes with time.

Back in my day, the Pontiac Trans Am was a jaw dropper. But now, anything remotely associated with trans will draw backlash.

When it comes to your business name, go carefully. You'll soon regret having to explain who/what you are all the time.

JB

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
We have a guy in house who designs custom circuit boards and have done some weird backlighting stuff. So, I just think that.

ch53177

On the more nefarious side of things, I think of polychlorinated biphenyls and how it relates to disposing of said materials from ballasts used in old signage.

On the productive side of things, I think of printed circuit boards like those used in digital displays.

Using well-known initials or acronyms in a lesser-known manner can be a double-edged sword that often changes with time.

Back in my day, the Pontiac Trans Am was a jaw dropper. But now, anything remotely associated with trans will draw backlash.

When it comes to your business name, go carefully. You'll soon regret having to explain who/what you are all the time.

JB
Thanks a lot for your reply! Yes, I agree, a business name is so tricky with terms evolving into who knows what.
We are selling custom LED PCBs to illuminate channel letters and cabinets, but if sign industry folks don't immediately think of circuit boards when hearing the name, we are not on the good track..

ch53177

We have a guy in house who designs custom circuit boards and have done some weird backlighting stuff. So, I just think that.
Thanks for your reply! that's what I am hoping people think of - circuit boards, LEDs = > hopefully a replacement to using modules or strip when building letters or cabinets.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks a lot for your reply! Yes, I agree, a business name is so tricky with terms evolving into who knows what.
We are selling custom LED PCBs to illuminate channel letters and cabinets, but if sign industry folks don't immediately think of circuit boards when hearing the name, we are not on the good track..
Well then, there's nothing saying you can't have fun with a name.

I suggest "Current Pathways".

JB

JBurton

Signtologist
I suggest "Current Pathways".
Great name, aside from not immediately being recognizable as to what industry that serve, solved with a fine logo. Though its worth pointing out that GE's led line is Current by GE, may not be wise to disturb the sleeping giant...
"PCB for signmakers"
Would this be like a custom PCB that goes inside channel letters? Or like a flexible type product?

Agreed though, PCB reminds me of scrapping old ballasts, tossing newer ones in a separate pile of the ones missing a label indicating 'contains no pcb's'

ch53177

Great name, aside from not immediately being recognizable as to what industry that serve, solved with a fine logo. Though its worth pointing out that GE's led line is Current by GE, may not be wise to disturb the sleeping giant...

Would this be like a custom PCB that goes inside channel letters? Or like a flexible type product?

Agreed though, PCB reminds me of scrapping old ballasts, tossing newer ones in a separate pile of the ones missing a label indicating 'contains no pcb's'
Yes, it's exactly that, a custom PCB already populated with LEDs that would go inside channel letters to replace the need of sticking modules inside.
Oh no, I think we are going for a different name then.. i'm hesitant about calling it Light Board instead of PCB.

JBurton

Signtologist
a custom PCB already populated with LEDs that would go inside channel letters to replace the need of sticking modules inside.
Got to ask, is this an affordable option comparatively speaking?
Aside from the speed of assembly, what other benefits would this have?
What options are there for failures in the field? Replace the whole board, or resolder new leds onto it?
I'd love to see a new product brought to market, and don't mean to discourage your new venture, but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome considering the convenience of having a bag of modules on hand, ready to go for whatever shaped letter your customer asks for next.
I could see this becoming viable if you can make a CNC routable 4x8 sheet, that can be cut and utilized into any shape, without a need for 'sealing' or soldering, therefore providing a nearly uniform layout without spending time counting out modules to stick in a letter, but that sounds like a pipe dream...