• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PCmatic ?

Steve C.

My AVG virus protection is almost expired for this year... was thinking of
switching to PC Matic. American made, supports XP. Anyone use it, or have
any thoughts? $50 for 5 computers and AVG cost $69.

player

If saving that $19 makes you happy, you could use Avast Free and save all $69.

I have been using it for years in conjunction with SuperAntiSpyware Free and have been healthy.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes is all you need and they are both free. For profit anti virus software is obsolete, over priced and a resource hog in my book. I have set up every computer for my friends and at work with the software I mentioned and I have never had a virus.

DravidDavid

As Above.

Avast and Malware bytes. You just can't go wrong. I've not use MSE, but I've heard good things about it.

kheebl

I have Comcast Xfinity internet and they give you Norton Internet Security for free to all of their customers. Never had a problem with it.

squishpot

I haven't paid for security in a decade... its totally unnecessary. VanderJ is on the money, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes are all you need.
Paid security is a waste of hard earned cash. Save your pennies for RAM, graphics cards and all that jazz.

DravidDavid

avg has turned into bloatware.

Yep.

It also loves updating itself which in turn blocks legitimate services connecting to the internet. So much fun was had with that suite when I had it...

Downloaded and installed Avast and never looked back.

My only complaint with Avast is that it's sorta' turning in to bloatware itself with useless upsell applications that install if you don't uncheck them at the beginning of the installation. My advice, is with Avast, un-check everything except Avast when installing. You will have a much more pleasant experience.

Steve C.

I still have a computer with XP. Keeping it safe is a big concern. And
Microsoft as said it is no longer protected, so, can Microsoft Security Essentials
be trusted?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
On XP you will have to look at an alternative to MSE..... Not really sure what to suggest on that other than if it is a business use machine and needs XP then use it just for its main need and not as a casual surfing machine. Best to just keep XP off the web now since there are no more operating system security flaw updates or anything for it anymore. It is just going to get more and more vulnerable to security breaches over time. That pcmatic program does claim to keep XP secure though. I hate some of their commercials and have not tried it but it might be okay software. Be careful though, software that claims to do too many different things, just like trades, often means master of none.... If it has tools for cleaning up your registry, deleting temp and uneeded files, etc there is a chance it might not recognize your line of business software and it might do something to break your software. I'm assuming pcmatic does do registry cleaning and whatnot since their ads claim to increase your computers speed.

Already mentions of the very same solutions we use, MSE and Malwarebytes. Dedicated programs with a purpose. For general system cleanup I also recommend Priform CCleaner which has always worked great for us. It excels are cleaning garbage out of your systems registry and finding unneeded temp files and whatnot while keeping important temp files. However as of late their newest versions are getting more intrusive with trying to put on active monitoring. You have to be careful of that sort of thing with most any software though. ALWAYS pay attention during installation of programs and check the "custom" installation options making sure to unselect optional toolbars, browsers, unneeded features, etc. You might want active monitoring though, and on some other machines that others use I would as well. On my own, I want as little running all the time on its own as possible to keep the system resources as free as possible. If I want to update it, I'll check for updates myself, I do not want yet another program running 24x7 just so it can check for updates for me.

visual800

avg in the past was great, BUT I have noticed in the past couple of years it has to be b@tchslapped into submission as it wants to do more than I need it too. Too many add-ons and otherBS. I still run it but its all free. I also use MBAM and ccleaner and hijack this. NEVER trust any crap that microsoft puts out to take care of your machine also.

Norton, Macafee, AVG all suck!

and I know yall are sick of hearing it but turn off your windows updates, your windows firewall and other crap windows or microsoft have. You do NOT need windows updates for your machine to run well