• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF file with lines broken apart

recreationsigns

Re-Creation Signs / I Sell Stickers
Ok I will try to explain my problem. I was sent a plat of a huge shopping center in a vector .pdf. My project is to colorize it. When I open it, all the lines are broken apart so I can't fill the areas. I need to join all the lines back. There are thousands of lines that need to be combined/welded. I am a CorelDraw user but only thing I can figure out to do in Corel is weld each line. I tried the new fill tool but there are so many splits, it doesn't work either. I have Illustrator CS3 and was wondering if their was an easy way of doing this.

I can send the file if someone needs to see it.

Thanks in advance.
Annette

SebastienL

I would say that the original file is a .dxf or .dwg from Autocad. You could ask for the original file but you would be in the same boat.

You can try rasterizing the image with a good resolution and live trace in Illy using the "Technical drawing" preset. Weird thing are going to happen, you will have to play with the setting.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that there not a whole lot you can do but clean up the drawing and join each path to close them.
:toasting:

pixel_pusher

This kind of thing happens a lot with PDF files - even those originally created in Illustrator. Often gradients are sliced into dozens of thin rectangles and lines of text are broken into 3 character pieces that cannot be easily put back together. It has to do with the way postscript language is rendered in PDF format.

Depending on how complex the drawing is, you could create a new layer on top, lock the layer below and just redraw it. Auto Trace is not particularly useful because it seems like you spend enough time cleaning up the paths it makes that you may as well have drawn the thing from scratch.

astro8

Like Sebastien says...it's a .dxf/.dwg....they're almost always supplied like this to me.

Best way I've found is to isolate it on it's own layer...draw in your blocks of colour on a new layer then put that layer behind the line drawing.

Forgot to mention have another copy of the line drawing on top of your colouring layer that you can toggle on and off now and again to get your bearings as you get lost in that maze...

Bill Modzel

There is an aftermarket plug in that joins these pcs of dxf files. It's not free though and unless you do it often, it may not be worth messing with.
I had a reconditioned box car and caboose to letter and had a very accurate dxf file that was supplied. The plug in did a great job of making all the lettering complete shapes rather than line segments.
http://rj-graffix.com/software/plugins.html

recreationsigns

File

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to attach the file to show the complexity to show what I am working on. Re-drawing it would be a nightmare. Also does anyone have a good source for bushes and trees, landscaping graphics as I have to put these in as well.

Annette

Attachments

• Sales_Map_Whole_Site_4-28-09.pdf
    301.9 KB · Views: 137

astro8

I took a good look at the file and honestly, colouring that wouldn't be that difficult at all...it's actually made up of a lot of open paths in the first place...the broken segments are mainly on the curves..I've had and I'm sure others here have had a lot worse than that...

Just start working your way through it...

Do-Over

I find alot of times a re-draw/re-trace saves alot more time then fixing whats there.

Just a suggestion

Kevin

GVP

Can you not select all the appropriate lines and then go to 'Arrange' then 'Close Path' ?

recreationsigns

Close path doesn't work. I am going to try my luck at it in Corel since I know it much better. Will give you a progress report if I still have all my hair when I finish. LOL

signkraft

In Illy, select all and go to Object - Path - Outline stroke...
I'd remove all those goofy /////// behind some of the text, and move any of the text that overlaps any of the lines, and then weld everything together. Expand it, and there is your all black outline, ready to color.

*Edit* Make sure you go to File- Open the .pdf in Illustrator. If you place the document and flatten transparency, then you will have to get rid of the clipping masks which may be a pain

Last edited: