• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pdf proof forms

What program do you use to send to clients there sign proof via email? Is there an editable pdf form that allows them to sign off as it were the design? Looking for suggestions or options.

Replicator

Extremely low resolution jpg, very small, not even suitable for the web . . .

If they want to see the proof in all it's glory, they can come to your shop to see it and to sign off on it.

I know what you mean, but even for business cards, etc, an online form seems very practical. Saves time, and can generate immediate sales instead of a customer shopping around. And with a pdf, your company is predominately on the form along with the property rights. Hard for other shops to use.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
if you're using pdfs...either make sure you insert the design as a low res jpg, or make sure you save the pdf as a low res file...i use primo pdf and keep my output resolution as 72dpi...

reason: a pdf is a vector file...if you send a regular exported pdf, it's a perfect vector file for the customer to take somewhere else....at 72dpi, it's still vector but is raggedy, so even if they take it somewhere else, it will have to be redrawn...

southshoredecal

you can put a watermark over it as well, the word proof or your logo or business name work well, a semi-transparent layer over the graphic that way there are no hard lines and it would have to be redrawn.

Border

Customers stealing/shopping your proofs around is usually NOT a problem if you have stuck to your guns and gotten a down payment BEFORE you send them the proof.

If it's a new customer and they have reservations about paying before seeing a proof then you let them come to your place and view it on your computer or make a down payment before letting them leave your shop with a copy of it, either printed or digital.

If you follow those rules, you will generally never have the problem of someone stealing your hard work and giving it to the low bidder, at least not on your new or prospective clients.

Just don't let them pull the old "I wanna see what you can do before I put any money down" trick on you by sending them an email with your FREE design work attached!

Personally, I really hate sending someone crappy, low-res designs while expecting them to be excited about it enough to give me money. Most people will have a hard time looking past the crappy , low-res image you just sent them and if you try to explain to them that it's because you're afraid that they'll take it to another shop for a better price....well, that doesn't exactly give off a sense of confidence on your part now does it?

Whoozziee

Putting a password on your .pdf's and disabling a few checkboxes when saving does the trick basicly. Password protected .pdf's are not easly cracked.

You can only allow printing (low res if you want) and disallow copying, selecting everything else.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Personally, I really hate sending someone crappy, low-res designs while expecting them to be excited about it enough to give me money. Most people will have a hard time looking past the crappy , low-res image you just sent them and if you try to explain to them that it's because you're afraid that they'll take it to another shop for a better price....well, that doesn't exactly give off a sense of confidence on your part now does it?

that's when i politely explain that they are more than welcome to stop by and view a printed or digital copy in our shop...

Whoozziee said:
Putting a password on your .pdf's and disabling a few checkboxes when saving does the trick basicly. Password protected .pdf's are not easly cracked.

actually...i've found that i can drag most "password protected" pdfs right into composer in perfect vector....

heyskull

Replicator has got it right.
I can crack any pdf file so they are useless.
Clients only get low quality raster files and NEVER get a vector.
If they want anything better they will have to pay for it!!
I don't trust no one even the returning customers. There will always be someone who will beat your qoute, especially if they dont have to design the artwork.
Also on our proofs there is a copyright notice and I have used this 3 times now to prosecute someone for using my artwork!!!!

rjpjr

Replicator has got it right.
I can crack any pdf file so they are useless.
Clients only get low quality raster files and NEVER get a vector.
If they want anything better they will have to pay for it!!
I don't trust no one even the returning customers. There will always be someone who will beat your qoute, especially if they dont have to design the artwork.
Also on our proofs there is a copyright notice and I have used this 3 times now to prosecute someone for using my artwork!!!!

Heyskull...could I ask a favor of you. I use password protected Abode Distiller .pdf files for artwork presentation frequently. Could I PM you a test file to see if you can crack it? If you can, could you submit a screen capture to this thread to verify that it has indeed been cracked?

omgsideburns

I can export protected PDFs out of Signlab and I use that quite a bit.

I have signproof pro but it's an EXE file and some people are weary of that, or have a Mac.

The most reliable thing seems to be a low res watermarked JPG..

Flame

You can only allow printing (low res if you want) and disallow copying, selecting everything else.

Just thought I'd throw this in, give me a few minutes and I can crack any pdf. password protecting does little against a determined client, so if they want to rip you off, oh trust me... they will.

I send jpegs with a copyright notice included in each one. Makes it a little harder, and gives me leeway if it ever has to go to court, etc.

I would never send a pdf that contained vectors...