• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Peeling issue on tanker trailer within 6 months

Shred_signs

Lost Member
If it was a contaminated surface wouldn't the failure be all over though?

I'm with Gino, someone is not telling the truth somewhere.

Looks to me like someone stood on top of the tank and started pressure cleaning it. That tank would be super dirty if it hadn't been washed since November.

JBurton

Signtologist
Personally, this isn't a big deal. If I'd done it, I'd have 2.5 the material cost and plenty of labor originally. When they brought back a partial failure, I'd redo the top portion of the lettering for free, but the whole letter would require us fully determining what the problem that caused the issue. So for free, they could drive off with fixed graphics and the option to bring it back if the failure continued to propagate, but at this time I'm inclined to say it was caused by an ice sheet grazing the lettering. Repair would take 1/4 of the time or less since the graphics are already placed, just gotta strip a little and line up new graphics over the existing portions.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
We do graphics for a fuel company as well and have been fighting this issue for almost 10 years. We also get ice and snow storms, they use several different unknown cleaning agents and they pressure wash them constantly. It's been extremely hard to put my finger on why this continues to happen but our graphics end up looking similar to yours. We started with calendared because of it's thickness, switched to cast because of it's longer life and flexibility, then to color change wrap material for thickness and longer life and still issues. After our customer threatened Avery Dennison with a lawsuit, they claimed we needed to edge seal all edges for graphics on tankers.

The problem is, their installers do most of the graphic installations and we can't guarantee they'll follow every step correctly. Last winter we provided material, they put it on and put the truck outside. That night we had an ice storm and the graphics literally peeled off from the top down. I was obsoletely certain this was a pressure washing and/or chemical issue happening but now I'm fairly sure that Ice and snow building up on the top edge of the tank and then sliding down is one of the main problems. For us, this always seems to happen during winter months. However, so does the excessive cleaning and pressure washing.

What we've done now is gone to a cast high tack printable oracal material and laminated. It's adhesive is very aggressive and non-air release (which I believe was part of the problem). We also advise to at lease edge seal the top of the lettering with a liquid or tape. It's extra work but after providing material and redoing these tankers 4 to 5 times in the last 5-6 years, you'll do about anything and I've told them clearcoat over it or paint the graphics.

This is where we are at with this issue so far. I hope it gives some insight.

• Informative
Reactions: 2B