• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Peeling Liner Off Vhb Tape

Chuck Peterson

This may seem like a small, insignificant thing, but today I spent about an hour and a half longer than a job should have taken because it was such a paint to peel the red liner off of double face tape on the back of acrylic laser cut letters when installing them on an office lobby wall. I have 2 brands, 3M and SignMart's own brand. They are about the same. I stick an exacto knife into the edge or just nick the surface somewhere and try to lift it off. It was kind of warm. One of the rolls is maybe 6 months old, the other probably 2 years. Maybe if the letters were cooler? I've always had this problem but never got frustrated enough to say anything. I don't have time for this.

Any answers?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I thought it was just me!
Try using a stray piece of VHB on your finger and lift the backer tape with it. I've had some success that way.

solock

I use a leatherman tool, and pinch/grab into the surface of the red release paper, when it works it works 100% of the time, otherwise it works by the second pinch...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea I hate the red backer to VHB. I had SOME improvement with tearing the tape with my hands instead of cutting it, and then once applied to substrate I pull on the tethered ends of the backer to peel it off.

Johnny Best

I had the same problem as you when using that plastic liner, always use the 3MVHB paper liner gray tape from then on. I used your exacto method but still frustrating and time consuming. Never was a fan of that clear reddish VHB tape.
I always put my rolls of tape in a big zip lock bag and keep it in a cool dry place when not being used.

hcardwell93

I use a utility knife and stick the point into the backer about 1/8" in from the corner, then flick the wrist and it comes right off.

I stay away from the edge and xacto blades are too sharp of an angle and tend to stick in the tape and don't grab the paper.

I can have a letter with about 5 pieces of tape ready to go in under 10 seconds.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
I use a utility knife and stick the point into the backer about 1/8" in from the corner, then flick the wrist and it comes right off.

I stay away from the edge and xacto blades are too sharp of an angle and tend to stick in the tape and don't grab the paper.

I can have a letter with about 5 pieces of tape ready to go in under 10 seconds.

I was going to say the same.

MikePro

manageable headache when peeling longer strips, but when you need to peel dozens&dozens of <1" tabs for detailed lettering I will take a piece of vinyl backing & apply a long strip of VHB tape, remove the VHB backing, and cut & apply tabs of "pre-peeled" vhb to letters as I install.

also, +1 to xacto "stab & flick" method, as stated above. works like a charm.

Johnny Best

He is not complaining about the VHB with paper backing but the very thin almost clear reddish backing that statically clings to the VHB when trying to remove. The flick of the wrist method does not work with this material.

Garama

Get yourself some of these (photo attached). Grab a corner and presto. I sometimes make sure the tape is rolled on with some pressure from a roller applicator.

they are "weeding tweezers"

Attachments

• weeding tweezers.jpg
    weeding tweezers.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 225

hcardwell93

He is not complaining about the VHB with paper backing but the very thin almost clear reddish backing that statically clings to the VHB when trying to remove. The flick of the wrist method does not work with this material.
It does for me. That's exactly what I was picturing in my mind when I wrote my post. It's a different feel between the 2 but definitely doable.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Don't any of you people have fingernails? Plastic tape of any color, paper tape, whatever tape, just pick a corner up with a fingernail and pull. Tools? Really?

Get yourself some of these (photo attached). Grab a corner and presto. I sometimes make sure the tape is rolled on with some pressure from a roller applicator.

they are "weeding tweezers"

We take an old tiny flat head and file it down so it's basically just a pick.

Johnny Best

bob quote: "Don't any of you people have fingernails? Plastic tape of any color, paper tape, whatever tape, just pick a corner up with a fingernail and pull. Tools? Really?"

I had all my fingernails pulled out by the Tonton Macoute in Haiti in 1965, got caught drug running by Papa Doc's men.

It's bad when you have an itch or removing backing from tape.

Last edited:

hcardwell93

I knew a guy once that was missing some fingernails. He kept a little black comb in his pocket so he could open his beer.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
bob quote: "Don't any of you people have fingernails? Plastic tape of any color, paper tape, whatever tape, just pick a corner up with a fingernail and pull. Tools? Really?"

I had all my fingernails pulled out by the Tonton Macoute in Haiti in 1965, got caught drug running by Papa Doc's men.

It's bad when you have an itch or removing backing from tape.

Or picking your nose or scratching your nether regions.