Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pen Tablets

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by m.hafenbrack, Feb 27, 2009.

1. m.hafenbrack

m.hafenbrack Member

Feb 6, 2009
    We are thinking on getting one of those pen tablets for designing. I've heard some people love them and was wondering if anyone here uses them and your thoughts. and if so what kind do you use?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. igneous

igneous Member

Feb 8, 2009
    i'm currently bidding on an intuos 3 - i really want to try that puppy out

3. m.hafenbrack

m.hafenbrack Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks

4. ashford

ashford Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Wacom is definitely the best way to go. I've been working with tablets since I was eleven, and I can tell you that the other tablet products tend to have more wiring problems than the Wacoms.
    At work I use a smaller Graphire4, which is great if you don't want to commit until you've had a taste. Once you get hooked, you never go back, though! At home I have an Intuos3, and it's brill. If you do digital painting, too, the airbrush pens are great.

5. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I picked up my intuos3 9x12 the other day and I LOVE it. It's helped me quite a bit already.

6. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    The Intuos 3 is nice quality, I can see why someone using one would never look back.

7. m.hafenbrack

m.hafenbrack Member

Feb 6, 2009
    What sizes do you guys prefer? I'm on a 21" monitor right now. I'm thinking of a 6x8. I've read some people don't like the larger ones.

8. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

I have a 2 year old intuos 3 that works like a charm.... 9x12

its for sale.... My Cintiq is on the way....

9. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I'm also looking at getting a tablet...and I am pirating this thread. What are some things to consider when buying a tablet? Pressure? Size? Brand? etc...Intuos seem to be what everyone sells in my area. Thanks.

10. Vinylman

Vinylman Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Berlin Center, Ohio

Pressure settings are "generally" changeable from within the program settings that come with the drivers.
    Size: Bigger IS NOT necessarily better. It will depend on your personal work space needs. Many people have settled in the middle ground size wise. 8"X6" is a good work space. Keep in mind that the larger your tablet the more you will move to move the cursor around from element to element in any give drawing situation.

As to Brand;
    I have an older Intuit, and many of the posters here love them as well. i have no knowledge of other brands, but when and if I upgrade i will most likely buy another Intuit product.

Why recreate the "wheel' if the majority of professional artist and graphic designers use the Intuit brand, what ever the configuration, I would consider that the best reference.

11. SOA

SOA Member

Oct 9, 2008
    i dont use a mouse anymore!! get a wacom and dont look back!

12. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

if you do a lot of editing in PS, illy etc... it will pay for its self quickly in time saved. i have upgraded to the cintiq12wx... and it is worth it if you do a lot of custom stuff, such a time saver when masking or painting in PS or you can draw with the vector blob brush in illy...

13. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks guys, I'm seriously looking at a Wacom Intuos4. Not sure if i'll need the 6" x 4" or the 9" x 6" though? I"ll be doing a lot of illustration, photo touch-ups/edits, clipping masks in PS, as well as signage.

14. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

get the cintiq..... you wont regret it

15. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    haha Ya I bet I wouldn't regret that Cintiq. A little out of my budget as of right now though. When I can afford the most pimped out G5 I'll score that thing.

16. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I ended up ordering a Wacom Intuos4 9" x 6". Picking it up in an hour. Freaking pumped! No more drawing things out by hand, scanning, then taking time vectorizing with a damn mouse. lol

17. m.hafenbrack

m.hafenbrack Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Very cool. I got the Intuous 4x6 for work and now I got one for myself at home. Love it. Enjoy!

18. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I am officially loving my new tablet!!! This is my first sketch with it. I know its pretty bad, just don't look too long. haha

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  19. gumby43

gumby43 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Is there anybody using a tablet to design signs with Corel X7?

20. Pippin Decals

Pippin Decals Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Ca.
    Your gonna want to go as big as you can mine is a wacom bamboo 7"x11 but the area for design use is actually 7 3/4 x 6