• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Perforation Cutting

Breezy85

So I've done this before at another shop I worked at but it's been so long I need a memory refresh. I've got a large quantity of photo card prints that I want to contour cut with a perforation so that we don't need to cut them by hand. I've set up registration marks and everything, that much I remember it was similar to regular contour cutting. However I don't remember the rest of the steps to perforate it so we can pop them out. I want to do a straight line perforation instead of a dotted line perforation.

Any help would be great! Need these done by tomorrow.

TimToad

In Versaworks, you create a cutline just like you do for a CutContour but call it PerfCut. It can be any color, but it needs to be saved as a Spot Color. Once in Versaworks you'll need to go into the advanced features and set the cut pressure, number of passes and spacing between the tabs depending on the material, size of graphic, etc.

Breezy85

Oh sorry, I forgot to put that.

I'm using an Epson S60600 for printing and a Graphtec F8600 plotter.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Same setup as us then... as above where TimToad mentions VersaWorks, it really should have said Illustrator:
- Create a new Spot colour, whatever reference colour you like. Call it "PerfCutContour" then draw your perforated lines.
Use this guide by Onyx to get everything setup correctly if you haven't already:
https://www.onyxgfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ONYX-11-Contour-Cutting.pdf
You'll need to use Condition 3 on the FC8600 so perf cuts are done over the channel rather than on the cutting strip

It's a bit of a mission to set up the first time, but this should get you started.

Breezy85

Same setup as us then... as above where TimToad mentions VersaWorks, it really should have said Illustrator:
- Create a new Spot colour, whatever reference colour you like. Call it "PerfCutContour" then draw your perforated lines.
Use this guide by Onyx to get everything setup correctly if you haven't already:
You'll need to use Condition 3 on the FC8600 so perf cuts are done over the channel rather than on the cutting strip

It's a bit of a mission to set up the first time, but this should get you started.

Awesome, thank you!

TimToad

Thanks, its hard to give full advice without knowing those other details.

Breezy85

Just want to revive this briefly cause I had another question.
I still need to set up the registration marks like I'm doing a regular print with contour cut, right?

Breezy85

Thanks! I think I have everything set up right, now. We have 64 photo prints and 42 bottle labels due for tomorrow that I'm sure neither of us here want to hand cut. Haha!

Breezy85

Okay, this isn't happening.
It's working but it's not working. I'm doing tests from the plotter and it's cutting through but it's getting all messed up as it goes. Picture attached. What am I doing wrong?

Can someone show me what settings they use?? Graphtec FC8600.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 407

bannertime

You'll need to go into the Conditions settings and adjust pressure. You'll also need to adjust blade depth.

For Blade Depth.
Take a piece of material and fold it in half twice. The blade needs to be at a depth that will penetrate two layers but only scratch the third layer. Try cutting a line by dragging the blade across it and make sure it'll still cut through two layers. There are videos about this on youtube somewhere.

For the condition settings.
You'll just have to play with those. We go anywhere between 28 and 33 on the pressure. and try to stay below 45 for speed. Condition 3 is setup as a perf cut on Graphtec, but you can also go in and adjust the pounce pattern in those settings as well. Best just to leave them though.

I found it's easier to test the perf by sending a 1x3 rectangle and then using the plotters copy feature to resend the file while standing at the machine. Makes it easier than going back and forth and you get longer cuts than the test cut.

Hope that'll help.

Breezy85

You'll need to go into the Conditions settings and adjust pressure. You'll also need to adjust blade depth.

For Blade Depth.
Take a piece of material and fold it in half twice. The blade needs to be at a depth that will penetrate two layers but only scratch the third layer. Try cutting a line by dragging the blade across it and make sure it'll still cut through two layers. There are videos about this on youtube somewhere.

For the condition settings.
You'll just have to play with those. We go anywhere between 28 and 33 on the pressure. and try to stay below 45 for speed. Condition 3 is setup as a perf cut on Graphtec, but you can also go in and adjust the pounce pattern in those settings as well. Best just to leave them though.

I found it's easier to test the perf by sending a 1x3 rectangle and then using the plotters copy feature to resend the file while standing at the machine. Makes it easier than going back and forth and you get longer cuts than the test cut.

Hope that'll help.

Yeah I've been playing with the settings and I also retracted the blade a little bit which seems to have helped a little. This job I'm trying to do this for is one set of vinyl and the other set of photo prints. The plotters tiny squares aren't helping much either haha

bannertime

I looked at the picture and your blade is still way too deep. It should leave little tabs of backing paper and not be a perfectly smooth cut.