• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pet Spa/daycare sign layout. Left or right?

Tim Aucoin

Be straight with her. Tell her to skip all the detail in her scribble... it'll be a waste of her $$$. No one will see it from that distance! Replace the wiener dog with a more macho, active dog (chihuahua maybe??:ROFLMAO:), and tell her that in your professional opinion, that's all that should go on the sign for viewing from that distance. Maybe upsell a second sign for when people walk the 300' and can actually read it!!

SignManiac

If her resort is so much fun, sell her this concept! Everyone's happy!

Attachments

• Blue Haven.jpg
    Blue Haven.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 94

Craig Sjoquist

at 1st I thought the left looking at thumbnail only ... then opened it up and right ... but now customer adds more and new design that looks real bad excuse what 's now happening

but change to the animals they want

Marlene

you should change the name and donate this layout to Fred to post in the newbie section as an example of everything not to do when designing sign as it is a perfect example of everything horrid thing that can be done. nasty fonts, miss matched graphics, poor arcs and just plain ugly...

Jillbeans

Her design needs one adjustment to be absolutely perfect.
:cool1:

Attachments

• BlueHeavenCustSm.jpg
    BlueHeavenCustSm.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 96

signmeup

Well....I emailed her back. Basically told her I didn't think I would be able to help her, but left the door open. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts.

JoySigns

Wow, that is truly amazing and so sad. Can you talk them into keeping your design with a different dog and then making a separate panel(s) for the list?

signgal

Well, this was funny and all but there are two things here not addressed... You designed this much without a deposit? *ish shocked* Did you have a good conversation with the customer? I mean did you know what the "purpose" of the sign was or what her expectations were? It just looks like you had a classy identity thing in mind and she wants to let passers-by know what she offers. I think that's what she meant with her contribution... she just couldn't find the right kind of dog and cat, etc. (since she's not in the biz LOL) What was said about educating the customer is the best contribution on this thread. It works for us, almost every time. It lets them know you know what you're talking about when you explain why her monstrosity won't work and she should be thankful you saved her from wasting money on a crappy sign. :)

signmeup

Well, this was funny and all but there are two things here not addressed... You designed this much without a deposit? *ish shocked* Did you have a good conversation with the customer? I mean did you know what the "purpose" of the sign was or what her expectations were? It just looks like you had a classy identity thing in mind and she wants to let passers-by know what she offers. I think that's what she meant with her contribution... she just couldn't find the right kind of dog and cat, etc. (since she's not in the biz LOL) What was said about educating the customer is the best contribution on this thread. It works for us, almost every time. It lets them know you know what you're talking about when you explain why her monstrosity won't work and she should be thankful you saved her from wasting money on a crappy sign. :)
I offer new customers 1 hour of free design/consultation. I typed out 3 words on a standard plaque shape I use and pasted on some clipart. Holding out for a deposit around here is pretty much futile. They just go somewhere else. The "one hour free" thing gets a relationship going but also lets them know I charge for design time. Works for me.

There are no "passers by" this place is in the boonies. It's a "yeah...you found it" kind of sign. You'd never find the place without directions.
I decided I don't do crap any more a while back so I tried to present her with something decent and it's not what she's looking for. Best to end it early.

signgal

I love the 1 hour free for new customers! That's a great idea! Escpecially when dealing with that kind of situation.

sorry if the first post sounded "you-know-what-y"... rough day, may have taken it out on your splendid thread :)

signmeup

It's that kind of thread...... splendid.

Yeah...the "1 hour free" lets 'em know you charge by the hour and they can't dick you around indefinitely. Actually I suppose they must feel like you're doing them a favour and now they kinda owe you one.

petrosgraphics

just be honest with her... they came to you for ideas... not to bring you their ideas..
the layout on the right gets my vote....
NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO READ THEIR LAYOUT.....

SAS

I would clean her design up, charge her more for the more time it's going to take to carve more letters. Take her money and don't put it on your website. If you up the price of the sign with the extra letters she may change her mind.