• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Phone Number on Storefront?

signcrafters

Where do you stand on having the phone number of the business on the box sign on the front of the business?

Just curious.
Thanks for the input.

MatthewTimothy

you do realize you will get that one person, after hours, that will see you inside working late and they feel that you should stop everything to answer their call because you left the number on the door, they will get pissed when you dont.

passed experience...

SD&F

I think it is a great idea. How many tiimes have I been driving by and seen a business that I needed something from and no number. I am for it.

CanuckSigns

I think it is a great idea. How many tiimes have I been driving by and seen a business that I needed something from and no number. I am for it.

If you're driving by, why wouldn't you just go in?

I'm not a fan of it, but if the customer is insistent, who am I to tell them what to do?

GoodPeopleFlags

UGH!!! I can't stand it! When people ask for it, I try to talk them out of it. I tell them you don't see phone numbers on Walmart or McDonald's signs. I especially hate it on ballfield signs but try talking those people out of it! I've never seen anyone sitting in the stands and writing down a phone number. I tell folks to watch a baseball game on tv; do ya see phone number on the signs??? NO! Ya know what's worse? Email addresses!!!! ARGHH!!! How about this one: ZIP CODES!!! WTH! Do you want customers to mail you a letter? Cuz that's what a zip code is for! Sorry to go off on a rant! Phone numbers really get me steamed! :frustrated: :banghead: :noway:

Mosh

I used to care and try to talk them out of it...now I just let the customer have what they want and collect the pay.

tsgstl

Why wouldn't you want it? well I guess I see your answers.

It is a lot easier to keep a customer if you talk to them on the phone, even if they are too lazy to get out of the car. With just about every person having a cell phone why not. If there would be another way for me to possibly communicate with a potential customer I'd put that on there too. Your phone number with a answering machine is very powerful form of communication. I have at least 1 call a week from someone on my answering machine that drove by and called after hours. I would rather have that record of them calling than hoping they look me up somehow at a later date. In fact I have had more business from my number on my store front than I have from my number on my vehicle.

Some municipalities will not allow phone numbers on lighted box signs etc.

edit nevermind I see you are talking about it only being on the box sign. I missread it and thought you meant not even on the door.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think it's stoopid.

• First of all, if you're open, they're just gonna walk in.
  • If you're closed, why would they call you if you aren't there ??
  • If they're driving by.... do you think they're gonna call you, why not just stop ??

The sign out front is to attract people and let them know who and where you are. It's not a business card.
If they need a phone number or a list of things they sell, put it on the front door or a very visible window, but don't clutter up a good sign with worthless copy.

Try this...... drive around all the bigger and better establishments and see how many really nice signs on the building have phone numbers on them

Marlene

Unless it's a restaurant that offers delivery/take-out.....then no

agree and only if it is a number that is easy to remember. other than that, it just clutters up the sign. the less copy on a sign the better as who has time to read a "book".

CheapVehicleWrap

Just the esentials. Phone num, address, zip +4, a list of every service you've performed, another list of services you may or may not perform in the future, date of birth, ssn and maybe a credit card or two.

CanuckSigns

We used to sell engraved pet tags, you wouldn't believe how many people wanted dogs name, address, home phone, cell phone of both owners, and POSTAL CODE, i guess it's so if someone runs over the dog, they can put a stamp on it and shove it in the mailbox...

mikefine

Great question!

I will share the rule I tell my customers. "Each word on a sign takes about a second to read. Your customers typically have 3-5 seconds of road time to read a sign. What message do you want them to read? What 3-5 words or elements do you want your customers to see on your sign."

And the answer to that question should be made into the sign, as big and as bold as possible. So an added phone number may be a hindrance, because it may distract and it may take away size of other elements.
Or it may be a very valuable thing -- depending on the sign and business.

With this perspective, the customer and you can make a more informed decision whether to include or not to include a phone number.

Last edited:

Billct2

Yea, phone, fax and cell.
And if you're a convenience store be sure to put every frigging product you carry,
because God know no one would think you'd have cigarettes, lotto, milk or soda if it wasn't on the sign.

I'd love to see a survey on whether phone numbers on signs -- or even on vehicles -- are useful to some people. I don't carry a cell phone, so I wouldn't be one to use that number to call right away or save for later, and I definitely wouldn't remember it. So while a business name is important so I can look it up in the phone book later (yes, some people still use phone books!), the phone and address on a sign or vehicle isn't useful to me.

Steve

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd love to see a survey on whether phone numbers on signs -- or even on vehicles -- are useful to some people. I don't carry a cell phone, so I wouldn't be one to use that number to call right away or save for later, and I definitely wouldn't remember it. So while a business name is important so I can look it up in the phone book later (yes, some people still use phone books!), the phone and address on a sign or vehicle isn't useful to me.

Steve

:ROFLMAO: another nut like me. I rarely have my cell phone with me. However, it's always with me in the truck, but it's really for emergencies or my wife to get a hold of me. Other than that, they're useless as far as I'm concerned. Who is really that important that you have to be reachable 24/7 ?? Really ??

threeputt

We used to sell engraved pet tags, you wouldn't believe how many people wanted dogs name, address, home phone, cell phone of both owners, and POSTAL CODE, i guess it's so if someone runs over the dog, they can put a stamp on it and shove it in the mailbox...

What? Are you kidding? What do you think the whole purpose of a dog tag is?

Most dogs can't talk. So if they're lost, injured, runover dead, it'd be nice to be able to talk to the owner. So.....just maybe you'd need phone numbers or address so you could help.

Sheesh!

d-signtech

Had this same situation a few weeks ago. Explained that the phone number doesn't need to be on the sign(s). They had three light boxes on the street front side of the building, and two of the three they wanted the phone number on. Kicker was its already on their door. To make things even better, it was their cell phone number. Broke down and they got the number on one light box. Then, they tell me they want their names on the sign. Not business name, but personal name. I could see it if maybe a doctor or lawyer, but this was a hair dresser and nail technician. After my nice clean design was cluttered with customers design ideas, I collected my money, and take a different way to the coffee shop so I don't have to see it.

Steve C.

My Number is on the sign and on my truck and I get calls all the time from
people who say " got your # off your truck" or " I was driving by and was
wondering what a banner like the one you have out front would cost". etc.
Whatever your opinion, it will increase the number of calls you get. If you
don't want or need calls, don't advertise your phone number.

TXFB.INS

With today's technology most people have smart phones, tablets, laptops etc...

The designers here tend to lean towards doing the url (as long as not some un-godly length) as this will allow the customers to view the services and ALL the different contact information

Techman

Service people who do not hang around at the office all day have phone numbers.
Non service bizz do not.