Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

photo-tex

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by psbc2009, Jan 30, 2013.

1. psbc2009

psbc2009 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ohio
    Have a client who uses a good bit of this stuff. Received an email yesterday that they will be changing the material used - i need to print on the new stuff from this point forward. There complaint is that it pulls paint off the walls?? I personally have not seen this (and love photo-tex) - has anyone else had issues?? Not sure what the new material is - i am meeting with them today.

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I've had Phototex pull paint off the wall if it was a crappy paint job or wasn't fully cured, but as long as the wall/paint is in good shape it shouldn't, we've removed a lot of Phototex and the only time it damaged the wall was when the wall was in poor condition to start with.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Put out lots of phototex over the past few years, never had any complaints. I do know that they just came out with one that was more aggressive adhesive. I probably won't try it since I haven't had issues with the original.

4. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Are there any suppliers in Canada that sell Phototex? Need to get my hands on some of this stuff.

5. JBusch260

JBusch260 Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    We've used both PhotoTex and GraphiTex. Never had a problem with either. Although I was able to get more vivid prints on GraphiTex.

6. Caitlin

Caitlin Member

Jan 4, 2013
    I have a supplier who sells it in Saskatoon... but probably someone closer to you.

7. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

FYI I've got a roll of the higher-tack stuff here, we're getting ready to redo a wall in our shop, I figured I'd try this out to see how it goes. I haven't installed it yet, but just from playing with it it doesn't feel significantly tackier than the original. I did throw up a 2'x3' piece of it just to get a feel for it and it applied and removed just like the old stuff, so I don't think the change was huge. Comparing this with the old stuff, I'd say it's going to bite onto walls with rough/crappy paint jobs a little better, which is a plus, but otherwise it's not like it's some super-high-tack adhesive.

8. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Unisource carries Phototex.
    ND Graphics & Proveer carry their own (equivalent) products too. I've tried the Proveer product and it is just as good in my opinion. Give them all a call and ask for sample rolls. :smile:

9. DIGIXTRA

DIGIXTRA Digixtra

Jun 6, 2012
    Canada

Call Gord Cohen <gord@hollywoodprintbiz.com> 416.491.2333
    He is the distributor of PhotoTex and right in your backyard

10. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    For anyone using PhotoTex, do you ever cut it in a plotter? I've never used it myself but I do have a sample roll I'm about to try. It seems a bit heavy and fabric like to plot.

11. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Use a 60 degree blade and you should be fine. :smile:

12. psbc2009

psbc2009 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ohio
    Figure I will tell them it is a crappy paint job :Big Laugh when i meet with them today - it sucks i am going to have to use something else to please them.
    Not sure what will be less agressivie than photo-tex and work as well....
    Once i find out I will post later.

13. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    It was definitely the paint's fault. I'd bet that even a strip of tape would do the same thing if they test it.

14. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    good chance it'll pull paint IF you cut too deep when trimmed on the wall.

15. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    We had no problem cutting it - our problem was getting transfer paper to stick to it! We had to cut words out of it, and while the cutting was okay the material would not stick to any of the different transfer papers we tried on it. Finally got the clear to stick enough we could *massage* it off the liner... but what a PITA

16. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    I center hinge words cut from phototex and apply with no transfer tape.

I have yet to damage or scratch the surface.

17. psbc2009

psbc2009 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ohio
    met with customer and they want white static cling material - they are placing promotions on the walls in the same spot over and over again causing problems with the paint.
    what static cling material would be good for this - noticed Fellers sells the solvex - anyone use this stuff??

18. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Look up a product called clingz it's made for just that and it's a true static cling.

19. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I carry white static cling for $.20 sq.ft also

20. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Static cling will not adhere to drywall, only to non ferrous metals and glass surfaces.