• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop and Photopaint basically equal?

CanuckSigns

What's your point? Reading comprehension. I stated very clearly that skill is 95% but that those who ARE skilled are nearly always also those who use Adobe products not Corel.

I know critical thinking isn't taught very well but come on.

I'm going to have to disagree, some of the best designers on this site use Corel products, Joe Diaz, SignManiac and Neato to name a few are corel users, i'm sure i'm missing a few as well.

Roto

Rendering quality, ease-of-use (by a mile), layer effects, filters (included and available third-party), parsing of AI and PDF ... in short, the results are superior and it's faster / easier to do just about anything, in my experience ... having used both for over a decade.

But for vector, or combining PSD bitmaps with outline text/vectors, CorelDRAW, hands down. It smokes Illy, in my opinion.

++1 :goodpost:

grafixemporium

Some home builders use a hammer to build a house. Others use a nail gun. A few use banana leaves and bamboo.

Regardless of what Bob says, the above statement is true and is a good metaphor for the various graphic design software products on the market.

I'm sure some of you were huge fans of Macromedia Freehand at one time. Bleh. That was the equivalent of banana leaves and bamboo.

The industry standard is Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign for graphic design, print production, desktop publishing, etc. If you plan to get a job in the field, expect to know these programs. Quarkxpress is another very popular desktop publishing equivalent to InDesign.

Use what you are most comfortable with. Personally, as a designer for print production, I'm a huge fan of Corel Draw x5 and Photoshop CS5. Those are my tools. Does it suck that I have to export EPS's from Corel Draw into PS rather than drag and drop vectors if I used AI? Sure... but everything else about its vector editing capabilites blows AI out of the water in my opinion.

(I'm still praying x6 has a drag into Photoshop feature.)

Corel PhotoPaint is a pile of crap as far as I'm concerned. It's an afterthought.

I will always have a soft spot in my hear for PaintShop Pro. I designed my first band flyers on PSP 2 or 3 in the early 90s. That's what got me into design. At some point I jumped ship for Adobe... but I'd be willing to bet PSP still has some quality software.

artbot

corel for vector, photoshop for raster. now if adobe would just let me set up my tools like in corel, photoshop would truly be a great program. ...i work in photoshop about 4-12 hours a day 7 days a week. photopaint just couldn't handle the massive load of massive file size work that photoshop does. that said, photoshop has been getting more and more unstable with each new version.

Custom_Grafx

Friend of mine and I have a slight disagreement.

Are the latest versions of Photoshop and CorelPhotopaint capable of doing the same things? He says no, go to any online jobs openings in graphic design and everything requires experience in Photoshop.

I say that's because kids take graphics courses at various colleges or tech schools and Adobe products are all that's available, so that's what they are experienced in, and the ones who have the jobs posted know of no other software that does basically the same thing. I say Photopaint is equal or at least close to Photoshop.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
(If this has been asked and answered in this forum before I apologize)

Your friend is right about most jobs in the graphic design industry requiring knowledge of Adobe products - at the very least, PS, AI, and InD. These three, are pretty much requirements.

I have never seen a graphic design ad that specifies only Corel.

Regarding things that corel can do that adobe can't... that's like having an argument about my dictionary being better than your dictionary.. because it has the word "fungible" in it. Wait a minute you say? Yours has it too? Well whaddya know...

Roto

Really? You have any idea how much garbage I've had sent to me by so called highly skilled "graphic artist/designers" using AI... Just because you have the paper and use AI doesn't automatically make you skilled! I would bet the percentage is a lot smaller than you think.

Hear Hear !

I have to fix crap daily that so called uni educated designers have throw together in Illy.

That goes for PS as well.

Roto