• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop and Photopaint basically equal?

WildWestDesigns

Twaddle. Either will pull my gooseneck wherever I want to go. There is no place that one can go that the other cannot, there is no load that one can carry that the other cannot.

Think functionality, not how that functionality is achieved.

It depends on the gooseneck or 5th wheel. This is way off base, but I can get more in depth with it, just don't want to hijack the thread anymore then already have.

signswi

It's 95% the operator but Corel Paint is literally a decade behind Photoshop. It's a decent "painter" software but that's about it and painting is only a tiny portion of what Photoshop is capable of (and used for).

Add onto that the fact that the most highly skilled people are going to be using Photoshop and you have a pretty clear winner. I really only see people using Corel anything in the sign industry and a few architectural and that's fading fast too.

Techman

Photoshop has much better aftermarket suport such as plug-ins and many online tutorials,

Really??
Any plug in used used in photoshop can be used in photopaint.

The tutorials in photoshop and most other adobe products often have a minor step missing. That makes duplicating the tutorial just about impossible if one is not fully versed in the product. Although lately the tutors are getting better.

The tutors in corel products are complete and can be duplicated in nearly every instance.

Both suites are equivalent in ability. Anything done in photoshop can be done in photopaint.

Corel draw has tools included that Illy users must purchase a pluin to have.

I really only see people using Corel anything in the sign industry
Then you haven't looked into cnc industry, or the embroidery, or the apparel.

Corel Designer is a very popular package in some industries.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
It's 95% the operator but Corel Paint is literally a decade behind Photoshop. It's a decent "painter" software but that's about it and painting is only a tiny portion of what Photoshop is capable of (and used for).

Corel Paint?

There are three programs that Corel Publishes for bitmap composition:

Corel Painter

Corel PaintShop Pro

Corel PhotoPaint (included as part of the Corel Graphics Suite)

Which one are you talking about? If you're talking PaintShop Pro, then yes, maybe a few years behind Photoshop, but not PhotoPaint...

dj_elite

If you are debating which program to get, I would get Photoshop for one reason alone. It is the "industry standard". That should answer you right there...

SignManiac

Add onto that the fact that the most highly skilled people are going to be using Photoshop and you have a pretty clear winner.

Really? You have any idea how much garbage I've had sent to me by so called highly skilled "graphic artist/designers" using AI... Just because you have the paper and use AI doesn't automatically make you skilled! I would bet the percentage is a lot smaller than you think.

oldgoatroper

If you are debating which program to get, I would get Photoshop for one reason alone. It is the "industry standard". That should answer you right there...

It would be far more accurate to say that the PSD file format is an industry standard.

Almost every half-baked image editing program can open and save PSD files.

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees SignManiac one VS the other blah blah

I read 1000 times better but only a few reasons posted mainly cause everyone else uses it .

To me Corel is more user friendly.

adaminjville

Really? You have any idea how much garbage I've had sent to me by so called highly skilled "graphic artist/designers" using AI... Just because you have the paper and use AI doesn't automatically make you skilled! I would bet the percentage is a lot smaller than you think.

love it...

rfulford

Does PhotoPaint have actions? If not, that would be a huge difference in my opinion?

Does the theoretical designer come with his own software and computer? If he is coming to work for me, he will be working with Photoshop.

oldgoatroper

Does PhotoPaint have actions? If not, that would be a huge difference in my opinion?

PhotoPaint, along with other members of the Corel Suite, can use CorelScript or Visual Basic to automate procedures. So yeah, pretty powerful.

signswi

What's your point? Reading comprehension. I stated very clearly that skill is 95% but that those who ARE skilled are nearly always also those who use Adobe products not Corel.

I know critical thinking isn't taught very well but come on.

SignManiac

I concede. I do suffer from lack of critical thinking and comprehension. In school I was labeled a L.C.T.C. student. I'm on medication but it must not be very effective.

oldgoatroper

I stated very clearly that skill is 95% but that those who ARE skilled are nearly always also those who use Adobe products not Corel.

Not by a long shot, sunshine...

I find with all the files submitted for output, that platform is absolutely no reliable indicator of skill (artistic talent) on the part of the designer.

I do find, however, that designers who work with CorruptDraw seem to be slightly more adept at the technical execution of their design talent than those who use Adobe Irritator. I.E. cleaner, more well thought-out, more accurate and less scribbly files.

This may be due to the fact that most (not all) designers that I know that use CorelDraw have some sign experience whereas the majority of AI submission are from designers who don't have sign experience.

But that is just in my neck of the woods. YMMV.

Sorry, back to PhotoSlop/PhotoPain discussion...

Joe Diaz

What's your point? Reading comprehension. I stated very clearly that skill is 95% but that those who ARE skilled are nearly always also those who use Adobe products not Corel.

I know critical thinking isn't taught very well but come on.

Righhhhhttttt :rolleyes:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Whenever I see ads online, newspapers, etc for graphic designer job openings, the software requirements for applicants are probably 90% Adobe. For sign companies, it tends to be about 50/50. Probably because in the early years of vinyl production, there were very few if any programs to drive plotters. And prior to that most design work was done on a Mac.

Arguing which is better can go on forever. Fact: adobe software is considered a standard. I said standard, not better

Joe Diaz

I just got PaintShop Pro X4 and also Painter 12. I've had PhotoPaint for years. I'm mainly a vector artist, so I rarely need to work outside of Draw, However Photo Paint has always had everything I needed in a bitmap editing software. I mainly use it for batch process for website related work, or touch up work for photos.

Now for illustrating or digital painting. Painter is where it is at. If Draw is now Corel's flagship program, I predict Painter would some day soon surpass it. It is that good. It is extremely popular, and you see a lot of digital and concept artist switching over to Painter. Obviously Painter true potential shines through when you get a Wacom, which I should have this winter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I never really saw a reason to get PaintShop Pro because of my luck with PhotoPaint, and I'm still unsure if there is a reason to own both, but I recently received PaintShop Pro as a gift from Corel and have just began playing with it. It does have a few features that aren't available in PhotoPaint. It really seems to be setup for photographers. If your camera has HDR features this is a great program to own.