• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop "Chrome" effect plugins????

Todd-sta

I have AutoFX and EyeCandy.....both have chrome filters....and are useful in different circumstances - BUT - they both have limitations that leave me wanting more.

I've searched hi and lo...and haven't found any other chrome plugin contenders out there for Photoshop.

I'm hoping I'm overlooking something....do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

GK

if you are just looking for a Plug-In then Eyecandy's would be your best bet. To get a real chrome look though, no filter can really compare to just knowing how to achieve that effect, its not 2 simple steps and usually differs from each project which sucks.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you been through the thousands of free exchange items at Adobe Exchange? Don't limit your searching to plugins. You may find things that will fill your bill under Styles, Actions or Gradients as well.

If you look in the footer here at the text animation I have running above the merchant banners, that was done with a small style collection I downloaded from Adobe. The nice thing with styles is that you can modify and save alternate versions under Layer Effects in Photoshop in any way your creativity takes you.

Todd-sta

Fred - That's fantastic! I looked at the link and would like to try them out but don't really know what a "style" is. Isn't that bizarre, since I work in Photoshop every day?!

Can you tell me a little about "styles"....what and how they are used? Thanks.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred - That's fantastic! I looked at the link and would like to try them out but don't really know what a "style" is. Isn't that bizarre, since I work in Photoshop every day?!

Can you tell me a little about "styles"....what and how they are used? Thanks.

Styles are a saved group of settings for a Layer Effect. They can be loaded as clickable buttons that will appear in a palette alongside of Color and Swatches ... at least they do in my CS2. There should be a few sets that came with your copy of Photoshop. Changing the displayed set is done by using the side menu on the palette.

The beauty of Layer Effects is that you can adjust lots of parameters for any effect and they remain editable ... unlike Eye Candy. So if you decide you want gold instead of chrome, you just go back into the Layer Effects dialog and make the necessary changes.

I've found Style buttons very useful for understanding how any effect I liked was created.

Todd-sta

So, Fred.....where do I save these "Styles" once I've downloaded them? Thanks......itchin' to try one out.

Edit: I just tried a few "actions" I downloaded and they make new documents instead of applying the effect to my selected shape in Photoshop....I have CS3. I don't get this.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So, Fred.....where do I save these "Styles" once I've downloaded them? Thanks......itchin' to try one out.

Edit: I just tried a few "actions" I downloaded and they make new documents instead of applying the effect to my selected shape in Photoshop....I have CS3. I don't get this.

As with Actions when saving Styles they can be saved as an additional item in an open set or you can create a new set. The saving, however, is done in the Layer Effects dialog.

Actions are nothing more than a group of saved commands. Very similar to the old recorder feature in earlier versions of Windows. I've found Actions to be more difficult to figure out because you often have no idea what the action is intendeed to do or what exactly it will be looking for in the open job. Again, there is a default set that comes with Photoshop. Try running the one named Vignette on a photo for a better understanding of the possibilities.

GK

anytime that you have save your own actions, save a thumbnail image of the action so you have an idea of what it does, most prepackaged action sets will have these. As for it creating a new document -- look in the action tab to make sure the first step isnt to create a new document, if it is...delete the first step of the action.

S

SignTech

As with Actions when saving Styles they can be saved as an additional item in an open set or you can create a new set. The saving, however, is done in the Layer Effects dialog.

Actions are nothing more than a group of saved commands. Very similar to the old recorder feature in earlier versions of Windows. I've found Actions to be more difficult to figure out because you often have no idea what the action is intendeed to do or what exactly it will be looking for in the open job. Again, there is a default set that comes with Photoshop. Try running the one named Vignette on a photo for a better understanding of the possibilities.

Hey Fred nice post! I have been creating these styles and saving them which if fine, but now it's great to find some pre made styles in ASL ready to go.

Here's my problem. I turned my pop up blocker to OFF ... when I try to download any of these styles ....... a window pops up for a split second then closes. Any ideas? Would love to use some of these styles AND even give some back. I did create an account before attempting to download.

Thanks,

Mike

GK

Hey Fred nice post! I have been creating these styles and saving them which if fine, but now it's great to find some pre made styles in ASL ready to go.

Here's my problem. I turned my pop up blocker to OFF ... when I try to download any of these styles ....... a window pops up for a split second then closes. Any ideas? Would love to use some of these styles AND even give some back. I did create an account before attempting to download.

Thanks,

Mike

usually popup blockers are equipped with a "safe site list" if yours is just add the site to the list...if not then just hold CTRL down when clicking the link and it should temp. disable the blocker. If you are using Ad-Aware you must disable Ad-Watch first or turn it off automatic mode.

S

SignTech

usually popup blockers are equipped with a "safe site list" if yours is just add the site to the list...if not then just hold CTRL down when clicking the link and it should temp. disable the blocker. If you are using Ad-Aware you must disable Ad-Watch first or turn it off automatic mode.

Holding CONTROL down worked just fine! I owe ya a :beer :thumb:

threeputt

Would anyone be willing to share with me the exact steps to take to save these downloaded styles in the correct place? And then the exact steps in accessing them? Much appreciate any help.

I have PhotoShop 7.0 (I know, it's old)

S

SignTech

I don't know about 7.0 but this is what I did. I selected DOWNLOAD this file the styles are in ASL format.

The file downloaded to my DOWNLOADED documents file.

I then copied the file to the ADOBE PHOTOSHOP FOLDER: Program files - Adobe - PSCS2 - (PRESETS) NOT ---> PLUG IN - STYLES folder pasted it in this folder. Restarted Photoshop and BINGO the style is there.

Haven't tried anything else yet but styles hope this helps ........... Mike

I imagine you can just SAVE the file after the download request right to the folder you wish in Photoshop ...... duh didn't try that lol ........ would save me seven steps

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Would anyone be willing to share with me the exact steps to take to save these downloaded styles in the correct place? And then the exact steps in accessing them? Much appreciate any help.

I have PhotoShop 7.0 (I know, it's old)

Most addons will include a text file as to where to copy them to. The majority do not use any kind of installer.

Be prepared, however, that many addons may not work with older versions of Photoshop.