• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop files... Who else hates 'em?

fresh

I'm the first to admit that I'm not that skilled in Photoshop. I only know PS basics because we use always use CorelDraw for layouts and design.

A client had their "designer" send me a photoshop file of the artwork they want printed. Of course its not proportionately scaled, so I have to rework it to fit the stand. This crazy file has like, 40 layers, at least 10 are hidden. Literally just mistakes that they clicked the eyeball button off instead of deleting. I'm going through the file, trying to delete what isn't needed and flatten a bit. There are four product images, one has a drop shadow, the others do not. Every layer has only one element, for example there are 4 different layers with separator bars. Is this normal?

I really don't know how to edit that much in PS, so I wind up separating the elements out, and working with them individually in Corel. I know this part is my own fault, I should take a class or read a book to re-learn PS. BUT I am super frustrated with the garbage file. Should I have refused to work with it? Can I tell my client that their designer suxx? Argh.

Is there a way to export all the elements individually? That would actually solve most of these problems!

fresh

Can you re-save it in Photoshop as a layered .tiff and open it in Corel ?

When I opened the .tiff in Corel, it was placed like a bitmap image. I also tried importing it, and the same thing happened. These were my export settings in PS.

tiffscreen.jpg

C

ColoPrinthead

I dislike taking PS files because it seems half the time the resolution comes in somewhere around 800-1200 at full size and tons of layers. I wonder how the designer would feel if they knew I just flatten and down sample their precious artwork.

p3

Send to me, I will rename the layers, group what you need and give it back. This seems about normal. Most of my documents can contain hundreds of layers. When I output I flatten and save as tiff most of the time.

phototec

I have worked as a graphic designer for over 25 years at two large fortune 500 companies (Dell and Texas Instruments), and most large companies I know only use the Adobe products (Photoshop, Illy), NOT Corel.

I know there are many here who love Corel and don't want to get into the ongoing Adobe - Corel pissing contest, anyway to answer your question it is very common to work in Photoshop and use many, many layers, I often have 30+ layers, however I would never submit a layered file for print. Your customer should ONLY send you flattened print files, (TIF, PDF, EPS, etc).

I would tell them to re-submit ONLY flattened print files, and not try and modify their files by manipulating the different layers as you are doing, if you mess something up and the file doesn't print how they wanted them, you will have to eat it.

The layered working files should only be for the creator of the artwork, and they should ONLY submit to you a flat file for printing in a format you accept, that way the printer can't modify the image in any way.

:smile:

SignBurst PCs

Some of those "problems" are the designer's fault (or laziness), but some of them are just standard Photoshop techniques. I would guess that if you were versed in Photoshop, you may understand why the files are setup this way and how to work with them in a timely manner.

Please don't take this wrong, I am not saying that you SHOULD work with Photoshop, only that if you did, this might not be such a big deal to you.

Joe Diaz

I have worked as a graphic designer for over 25 years at two large fortune 500 companies (Dell and Texas Instruments), and most large companies I know only use the Adobe products (Photoshop, Illy), NOT Corel.

So. That is beside the point.

If in this case a person is simply receiving files from the person that designed them, then that person isn't acting as a "graphic designer" there job is to print or produce the graphic. The graphic designer's job is to send print ready files. Or at the very least send artwork that isn't a total disaster to work with. In this case they didn't. A non flattened ps file, regardless of whether you believe it is an industry standard, isn't the best type of format to send to a printer, even within an all Adobe environment, not to mention the OP stated the file wasn't scaled right, etc. So in this particular case, I don't think it's the format that is the problem, it's the "designers" lack of experience. As a Corel user I've received Corel file that were a mess when I opened them, When I used Adobe I would receive Adobe files that were a mess.

The graphic designer can choose what ever software they like, even if it isn't an industry standard, as long as it works well for them and they know how to send ready to use artwork to different vendors. This is more than possible in a Corel environment and also for those that use Photoshop to design.

fresh

Thanks for the insight everyone... I noticed nobody commented on the hidden layers, and that is what made me the most crazy. C'est la vie.

And yes, I need to re-learn photoshop. Or better yet, hire someone who knows it, THEN I can continue my plotting to take over the world!! mmuuhh hahhahahhaaa.

rjssigns

Thanks for the insight everyone... I noticed nobody commented on the hidden layers, and that is what made me the most crazy. C'est la vie.

And yes, I need to re-learn photoshop. Or better yet, hire someone who knows it, THEN I can continue my plotting to take over the world!! mmuuhh hahhahahhaaa.

Maybe take a night class at a local college. If you get an instructor like I had you will become very proficient with PS.(whether you want to or not, lol)

paul luszcz

You can delete all hidden layers with one simple command using the menu options "Layer/Delete/Hidden Layers".

You can combine any layers you want by selecting them and using the menu options "Layer/Merge Layers".

That's all pretty simple, but the others are right, you shouldn't be changing that file. You're acting as the designer by changing the proportion of the image, not as the printer. Most would say you shouldn't take this on at all, but you certainly shouldn't unless you're very fluent in Photoshop.

Some customers, including designers never understand proportion. They'll send you a file that's 5 x 4 and ask you to print it at 5 x 3.

Ask for a new file.

Biker Scout

The proper industry standard for output is to supply an .eps first, a .pdf second and then a .tif file in that order. It's how I ask for artwork. If the designer doesn't know what an .eps file is or how important they are, I try not to bother to educate them. Not worth my time to sound like a know-it-all design snob. I just simply then ask for a .pdf. Since most people know what that is. Unless they are designing in Publisher :ROFLMAO: If I can't get a .pdf I then ask for a high resolution .tif file. I have a strict policy against .jpeg files. If that's all I get, I immediately let them know their stuff won't turn out good, and I purposely print off a crappy, super low res copy to show them. If they still can't figure it out, I'll begrudgingly say that I'll work my magic and see what I can do with it, but won't make any promises.

And yes, the .psd file is to me (like a .ai file) the "Working" file before final output. And should never be given out. As it's got editable layers that a print provider should not really have access to. Their job is to just take the file and print it. In a perfect world that is, but we all know that's not how it works. That is why when your client has a "designer" already, you need to let them know that you need print ready artwork. Be specific in what you are asking for. They are paying their designer to get it right, not you. Also, throw in the conversation that there will have to be a design and set-up fee imposed, and explain why. That will usually result in them getting right back to you in a timely manner with the proper artwork, and hopefully a reprimanded "designer" even if it is their cousin.

hansman

+ 1 on Phototecs reply...........
+ 2 on Design Chimps link above!
A lot of good replies above flattened .tiff file is the best choice.

One thing that can make quick work of sloppy layer files is to highlight several of the layers with the option key down then go to the top right pull down on the Layer Pallette, and click "New Group From Layers" Then simply re-name it. At this point it should create a "Group" This can tidy things up a bit.
This is handy if the person used one layer for each line of copy etc.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Can someone enlighten me why a layered photoshop is so problematic? Is there a problem with ripping layered files for print? Having a layered file can be useful if you needed to make corrections to the file on only a single object or layer if set up correctly. You cannot do so easily when the file is flattened

If you need a single layer file to print, just open the layered file and click flatten. That is a one click step

phototec

So. That is beside the point.

The graphic designer can choose what ever software they like, even if it isn't an industry standard, as long as it works well for them and they know how to send ready to use artwork to different vendors. This is more than possible in a Corel environment and also for those that use Photoshop to design.

DON"T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD, MY POINT WAS (is):

It is very common to work in Photoshop (or any other software) and use many, many layers.

However, never submit a layered file for print. Your customer should ONLY send you flattened print files, (TIF, PDF, EPS, etc).

Layered working files should only be for the creator of the artwork, and you should ONLY submit a flat file for printing in a format your printer accepts, that way the printer can't modify the image in any way.

Industry standard (as you said) is just that, a standard, I didn't make it, I just work in that industry, yes, you can chose to work in whatever software you know how to use. And in your case, you are the true master of Corel - amen.

No pissing contest intended!

:smile:

jfiscus

Rap Master
You should receive a flattened TIFF/JPEG/PDF file from the "designer" unless you are charging artwork time to manipulate their incorrect artwork that they sent you (I call it "Making the file press/printer ready").
That should be stated in your correspondence with the customer (how you need the artwork sent) prior to your receipt of said artwork. If they send it any other way, then they should pay for you to convert it for them. (same thing if they send it incorrect size/proportions)

Yes, this IS the standard way to work in Photoshop. (having as many layers as possible in the original artwork)

At least you're not receiving PowerPoint files as artwork... those always seemed to be the worst to me.

First things first: Be clear with the designer on the specs for printing from your RIP. Make sure they understand what type of file your expecting to receive to produce a quality print.

Second thing is: I'm with Joe Diaz on this.
If someone is sending a "Print Ready" file for you to print, it shouldn't matter what program it was designed in, your printing the product, not designing it. It's different if you designed it and didn't prep it correctly for the RIP.

It should be able to go directly into your RIP and be printed. If it's prepped correctly why should the printer have to open the file and dink around with it to produce it?

I understand importing a file to quick check the size, etc. and that issues can be made evident at this point but here is where the clock starts ticking on your end, are you going to spend design time "fixing" the file to become print ready and are you willing to do it for free or are you going to charge design time because the file you were sent isn't properly prepared for you to RIP and go?

5, 10 ,15 minutes of design time can add up over a day , work week, work month .... and so on if you're working with several customers sending you so called Print Ready files, and most days we all do.
How much money did you lose at the end of the year if you don't charge for that? Enough money to spend on the latest Adobe Design Suite so you can open everyone's files and fix them? Probably that and more.

If customers want to save the money on design fees I completely understand that.
It's my job to be specific enough to them so they understand that if they are choosing to be the designer then my design services are not coming into play in producing the graphic.
Of course I see an issue I'll always let them know, at that point they can choose to fix it themselves, proceed as is, or pay me to make it print ready.
Then, if all those designers out there sending me inadequate art pay me for my design services, I'll have the money for all those latest and greatest software updates to fix their art no matter what program it was designed in. And they all lived happily ever after.

shoresigns

Ask the customer for a new file, or tell them how much it will cost for you to fix it. Simple.

In this case when it's just the proportions, I usually explain to the customer that I can fix it, but if their designer is available, they can probably fix it faster, since the file is quite complex and they're the ones who made it.