• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop for Brochures

Techman

For new print ads i've used quark for years.
I use used corel for one page flyer layouts for years.

Lately however, I tried Design which is really a good program. I am transfering every thing done in Quark to Indesign. I will likely change to InDesign for all the printed work leaving corel for the sign work. What prompted me to look away from Quark was the customer support attitude. I didnt even consider lookin at updating quark in anyway ever since 6 came out.

Indesign has the free trial and once you see how nice it is you may select it as well. Very versitile and is has a ton of plugins to enhance your usage.

Geary

Amen to what Rick said and I'll throw in another one I've used for many years. I've used Canvas by Deneba since 3.0. It's a great program for the money. They have some nice templates for brochures (and other stationery products) It has the basics of Illustrator and PhotoShop all in one program....for about $400.00

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Depends on what you are used to using which is better. I have not used layers enough to use PhotoShop without getting a little frustrated. I use mostly CorelDraw and Corel Photo-Paint. There are some effects that I like in PhotoShop that if I want them I'll work with it. But, I'm slower than the 7 year itch when I do.

Checkers

I also prefer to use Corel to design brochures, when compared to the other programs, just because I already have it and know it fairly well. However, if you're starting from scratch and money's no object, I do think InDesign and Adobe's creative suite would be a better option.
My reason for saying Adobe's products are better is because it's more popular and generally considered the standard in the design community. Plus, it, IMHO, manages color better than Corel across all of its programs and it normally doesn't have the glitches that I've encountered when exporting some files to PDF.

Checkers

FatCat

If you're going to have your brochure professionally printed at a commercial printer, then I would strongly urge you to stick to Quark or InDesign. The others will work, but aren't the best choice based on most printers work-flow.

SirSlarty

Quark and InDesign are geared towards small print layouts like brochures and business cards. I found Quark much easier to use.

weaselboogie

Quark and Indesign are both Print Shop friendly. Quark is fairly cut and dry, seems like it hasn't changed much in a decade. Indesign takes Quarks basic idea and adds all the wistles and bangs, with stuff like transparencies and drop shadows. If you needed stuff like this done in Quark, you had to design the background in photoshop and transparent text boxes IN photoshop. Both of these programs seem ancient as to what can be done with effects with photoshop, illustrator and corel, but as I said before, its MADE for publication work.