• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop layers question

oc63rag

I've searched and tried the Photoshop help and I still can't figure this out. I'm using CS2 and I'm trying to create an image with three layers:
1. Background fill
2. Top fill
3. Transparent tiff file "looking through" the top fill to the background. In this case, it's a ripped metal file from Aurora Graphics.

I hope that makes sense.

Is this a clipping mask function?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

Dont try to use the first (main layer), create a duplicate..or several and go from there.
Ken

oc63rag

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what the steps are to achieve what I'm trying to do. I signed up for a Photoshop class but it's not until mid-Sept.
Until then, it's trial and error and asking questions.

oc63rag

Thanks guys. Just to make sure I understand, is this the order:

1. Place background layer
2. Place top layer
3. Place transparent tiff file over top layer
4. Adjust transparency of top layer (but only where the rip is)?

Are you able to adjust portions of the layer or will the entire layer be transparent?

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do (different graphics but same idea):

Attachments

• 9 Wiz.jpg
    9 Wiz.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 155

Velocity

The best resource in the world. Google CS2 tutorial free and your subject. it has been a wealth of knowledge for me.

From the sounds of it you should just be able to sandwich your image layer between your background and transparent tiff. you shouldnt have to adjust the transparency thats the whole idea behind the transparent tiff to see through it.

your new friend (Ctrl + J) = copy layer

Have fun.

ckoziol

Just out of curiosity, did you ever look into PhotoshopUser.com? I joined them for several years. It's about $99/year, but the magazines you get bi-monthly are worth every bit of the money you put out, not to mention the support you get from them and the discounts on the photoshop seminars they have yearly. They have a 3-day event every year in Orlando and Las Vegas (every other year in each city). I absolutely LOVE photoshop, and have learned so much from them.

fozzyber

lynda.com has some of the best intro and high end user photoshop training I have seen. I have used PS for 15 years and I learned loads.

Jerry