• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop running crappy

4R Graphics

Ok I have a problem anytime I try to do anything at full scale such as a van wrap photoshop runs like a turd especially applying filters. Heres the set up I have a 3.2 gig dual core system with 2 gigs of ram I have a scratch disc that is 80gigs and I tried to apply a filter and I got the filter ran out of available memory I have 1750megs assigned to photoshop thats as high as it will let me set it. I currentlly have my phtoshop and main C drive on seperate partitions of the same drive I assume thats why it runs SSLLOOWW at full scale but the scratch disc is a seperate drive all together so what the heck I am going to buy another 2 gigs of memory but this thing shouldnt be locking up and running as slow as it does. I mean I applied a gradient to a file that was 32 inches tall and 72 feet long the only thing I had done was apply the gradient and it took more than 20 minutes just to put the gradient in so what is the ideal set up for photoshop? I am thinking get another drive put photoshop on that drive and make the rest of the drive the scratch disc and put in another 2 gigs of ram but what would you guys recommend besides get a new PC not duable right now.

kazoosigns

What's the resolution of the file you're working on? For us, anything between 100-150dpi at full size has been optimal; anything higher takes far too long to open. In fact, we had a psd file sent from a client today for their 24"x60" banner. It was 300dpi and 41 layers and was 1.3g.

flyinhawaiian968

same here, 100dpi for wraps is what I use. For small detailed work, such as 6" decals, I'll go 300dpi, but its sorta overkill.

Chris

4R Graphics

Any ideas perhaps I should reformat and what not? If I was to reformat buy some memory and another hard drive whats the best way to set photoshop up so it runs the best? Should it be installed on the C drive or its own drive? I know the scratch disc is best not on the C but what about photoshop its self? I read a minute ago about the 3gig switch in windows boot.ini file so I will do that when I get the memory. For those of you who dont know you can search for it but there is a switch that you put in your boot.ini file that will allow windows 32 bit to see 4gigs of ram and you can allocate more then the 2 gig limit to programs but you can only allocate 3 gigsd to progs but hey windows XP pro stock only allows you to allocate 2 gigs to any progs and phoitoshop CS and higher I believe is capable of using the 3 gigs if you use the sawitch.

Once again if I was to start over what is the optimal setup as far as install and what not for photoshop?

4R Graphics

cant get a mac any other options besides will upgrade to the new photoshop when it comes out and well the mac will no longer be better.

SignBurst PCs

First of all, get more RAM. RAM is the most bang for your buck and easy to upgrade. 4GB is your limit with a 32bit OS.

Secondly, get a bigger scratch disk. I have seen wrap files use 300+GB on a scratch disk, and that is on a system with 8GB of RAM, with Photoshop using all 3GB of the RAM it is limited to. The faster the scratch disk, the better. If your computer will let you RAID a couple drives, that is better yet (for scratch). PS won't complain about being out of memory until it has used all available scratch disk space.

And remember, with CS4, "Get a Mac" won't apply anymore. Photshop will perform much faster on a 64Bit PC (with as much RAM as you can stuff into your computer). Tick-Tock!

4R Graphics

That was what I was looking for also does it matter where I install photoshop at should it be on the same drive as windows or should I have it on a seperate disk say a 500 gig drive and make what photoshop doesnt use on install for the scratch disk?
I am curentlly limited to 8 gigs possible in my machine I noticed memory was real cheap so I am considering filling it up with 8 gigs and then get vista to use the 64 bit capability of the processores and memory and be ready for the new photoshop but I will probably build a new system for the cs4 when it comes out but gotta justify the costs first.

SignBurst PCs

I am glad that I could help.

Photoshop can be on the same drive as Windows.

Ideally, what you want is the scratch disk to be an empty drive so that PS doesn't have to compete with anything else when it is accessing the scratch disk space.

The extra RAM and 64Bit Vista will help out considerably, even on CS3.

4R Graphics

Thanks so much for the help.

I checked out your website I have to say I believe if I really get going with the wraps and cs4 comes out I will probablly get one of those design systems from you.

Thanks again.

Rooster

More RAM is the first upgrade you'll need. Consider it a priority.

A striped RAID scratch disk will double (or more, depending on the # of disks) the speed when it needs to use the hard drive for more.

flyinhawaiian968

Ya know, after re-reading this, I've had the same issue with Alien Skin plugins running out of memory. Not my machine, I've got 4gb mem (showing as 3.25gb in win sp2), and a C2D 2.66ghz machine. Nothing running on the machine but that (about 16 processes).

It will give me a mem error with large files, and if I reduce the file down it will run just fine. Could be a mem error with Alien Skin's plugins. Next time it happens to me, I'll keep reducing filesize to see what the breaking point is...

Chris

Ken

2 gigs is not enough...max it out.
Weird..I started with a Commodore 64..thats right.. 64 kilobytes of ram...lol
Yeah...video card memory will help also...
Ken