• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

picked up a nasty virus yesterday

MikeB

Be safe mode

Since that was mentioned, I thought I would mention what I heard from a tech friend of mine. He said that that shortcut was eliminated from Win 8. So for those of you that made that plunge or thinking of making that plunge to the new OS. Be aware of that. I guess that would mean that the only way to get into safe mode would be from startup where it asks you if you want to boot up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or normal bootup.

Shift f8 will get you there, it's just a bit more convoluted than it used to be.
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-boot-into-windows-8-safe-mode/

Techman

Why the change? Of course, who knows the rationale that they had. I'm sure it made some type of sense to them when they did it.

The guy that made those changes was recently "severed" from M$

Techman

Ok Techman, I know that you're head and shoulders above most of us with respect to this tech-y stuff.

But tell me, once one is up and running again (after a system restore) shouldn't his proprietary security program catch any residual malware after running a full scan?

Thank you for the compliment. But I am not so deserving..

No, malware is designed to hide within certain places including the restore points and all temp folders and within the system32 folder. As soon as a reboot occurs the root command will go to the internet and re load the scum before anything else loads.

During the infection. (Lately the infection comes from visiting a compromised website). You may notice a sudden stall of a browser for about 4 seconds. That is when you get the payload.

You have to physically block internet access and delete the restore points. All of them and remove the roots with specific targeted removers..

Only then you can restart the machine and get back to the internet.

Then get a real malware deflector. And close the holes with a router and a firewall.

Norton or McAfee or AVG = junk.

gabagoo

Thank you for the compliment. But I am not so deserving..

No, malware is designed to hide within certain places including the restore points and all temp folders and within the system32 folder. As soon as a reboot occurs the root command will go to the internet and re load the scum before anything else loads.

During the infection. (Lately the infection comes from visiting a compromised website). You may notice a sudden stall of a browser for about 4 seconds. That is when you get the payload.

You have to physically block internet access and delete the restore points. All of them and remove the roots with specific targeted removers..

Only then you can restart the machine and get back to the internet.

Then get a real malware deflector. And close the holes with a router and a firewall.

Norton or McAfee or AVG = junk.

I used the free version of malwarebytes...would you suggest buying the full version?

ChicagoGraphics

I just had that same virus an hour ago, only my payment was 300 to the FBI, lol

on press F8 and get into safe mode, then do a restore, make sure your unplugged from the internet first