• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pillow case banner help

Johnny Best

Pillowcase, light up at night, next he tells you he needs two black ovals on it.
Is this for a customer that has Grand Wizard in his name?
grandwizard.jpg

signbrad

It sounds like the client is not really wanting a sign that can be changed out every two years. That sounds like a deception to get what he wants—the cheapest possible lighted sign by ignoring industry standards and best practices.
I am tempted to suggest raising the price significantly on the "pillowcase" version to make it unattractive. On second thought, doing a job this way is not something I would expect from a reputable sign company.
I would pass on this job and let someone else have it.

I would then watch the job and see how it holds up.
It would also be nice to have night and day pictures of the finished job for your own use.

A client like this may be good to avoid. They may present nothing but problems in the future.

Brad

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Totally agree with signbrad.
In addition, a cover such that is being requested is generally temporary, as also mentioned when businesses are changing names or a new business is coming in. Perhaps, when you apply for your permits, your codes people will ask....... what period of time is this to be used ?? You say, as long as possible. They will most likely tell you that it's not legal, as the sign was never made with this type of installation in mind. It breaks electrical codes and wind load tests.

Most covers are put directly over existing faces, not an open cabinet. Wind will tear that thing apart

Also, when doing a bag sign, the sign is to be turned off to prevent various problems from overheating to melting. You'll be covering up the breather vents and most of the normally open ends and whatnot of the cabinets corners and retainers. Those covers are meant to protect a sign from penetration of all kinds which means it won't let most things out, either.
Get to know your business better before promising people things they can't/shouldn't have.

Last edited:

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
[QUOTE="Texas_Signmaker, post: 1380705, member: 64288" It's your job to tell them what their options are along with the cost and walk away when they don't agree. Why you letting the customer walk all over you? Grow a backbone and tell him what u can do for how much. Tell him flexface ****face or no face! If he doesn't like the options walk away and don't let him waste anymore of your time. You'll probably end up spending hours over this bid and never get the job anyway.[/QUOTE]

+1

Marlene

Give them a price for a bag banner and if asked if it will light at night, tell them no, that is not what a banner does and leave it at that.

ams

If you're covering it up during the day then why have the lights on at night if there is no advertising a sign for a business involved. Unless to warn birds or low flying planes at night.

It's a half ass running motel. Used to be Howard Johnson, now they eliminated 80% of the rooms and operate at 1/4 staff.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was told this was only to be up for 30 days... Well, 1 year later it's still up... thankfully it looks like the day it was installed. This covered a fully intact flexface. I switched the lights off for obvious reasons.

sDGRMVt9TkU4xdB6pKb0y1F30ELIgz9FwPH4pDltfBiQdcl7isP78t74U8Wxo6iI94iZW2O4ar_2dJa0NW5QJRq9gYLjB_OfNu_S5jRAJ77mmCDxXIandTrQHbtkldl0JkIb15EL7MjvFGicJPAutgLavlzBgrgYVVJaV6r3-eY4Ix5Qso_PNikzQvRG75j5YmL-nMuOxrJet6qlBxzv0C3B6noZq9bmUgFGiHl44dGUsoRPtFfQ2zCB3nls940lKSSEcx2q3bGajbP6TSJJ5dvWH91DnB3W497XxpSMQ4q5Y4mnBPtxsZw53zjFHxLCsfbgZ_ucsoANoZSLjfk9tjcXbXzsHD-F65__2xY1uleu23FQJUBPjgWfp9VeX9APWc1JJsNo6KMAVjwzYsN3Lcx5H3y88nBk4_UVUrW8fki-uTiSO2-FySL86oWKUdCTlV-75ujbeHN-P5LIdtFlQMIwF3txXTy8ZSHMF5br4wCDkIeBBd3PzEqJM5-dy7xBrPzNIK5EMXJrIr1rei8X3HPwFSKn2ocwl7Z9kBpW5Kv4gbLQi0Cv0IaE9Qb9xcZfiCAk8h5X_pKcG_4YESM-gdYTk1Kt6DOQVl-da4GIQj1gWJSHyZXWdZHZEenrKMmbR1_X9tOGMLcfclRIf0EX53PJH_Ip-oqmQA=w328-h620-no

Last edited: