• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please help, Im trying to connect through Ethernet Cable

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
Hi all,

Im trying to hookup my Mutoh Rockhopper throught ethernet.

Here is a quick breakdown of my Setup:
Mutoh Rockhopper
Windows XP SP3
Onyx Postershop 7.3

So, I recently purchased an ethernet card for the Rockhopper...it slides into the space above the Printer Port that is typically covered with a metal plate.

I can not get this setup! I am to the point of running around in circles now.

This is not a SEH print server, its an ethernet card that slides inside and connects to the motherboard.

I have the "Crossover" CAT5 ethernet cable, and I have installed a network card on my computer. I have been running in circles with the IP addresses ect ect.

Can someone please help?

Im getting ready to move into my first warehouse, and Id like to get this all ready to go for when I move in.

Thanks, James

Jim Doggett

I think you need to go through a router, such as your cable or DSL modem/wireless router. You can't connect directly. It needs to go through a hub, I think. You should probably check with Mutoh.

Techman

you can direct connect via the crossover cable..
However some times a machine does not need a crossover cable..(very rare)
You assign an ip address in your printer
192.168.1.100 is an example..

The printer IP address cannot be the same as any other IP address on the network. This is just in case you have a wireless system there too..

Usually you have a set up CD what has a util to set it all up in auto mode. Does your printer have that type of CD?

Then set up your network.
Make sure all firewalls are off and anti virus software is inactive.. Both of which will interfere with a set up.

When you plug in the cat 5 cable,, do u see any lights come on or blinking? IF no lights then something hardware wrong..

I am running a ether net printer via a crossover cable right here on some days...Other days i use a hub.. All depends on what is going on at the time. Other times I have a switch and a in the network.

onlyjames

Thanks everyone...OF COURSE...It went just like this....

An entire day of going crazy, and thinking I'll never find the answer.

Then, someone on hear mentions the router.....DUHHH

Solution to my problem for future people:

I hooked up the printer directly to my verizon router, then accessed my router online, saw that the printer was showing on the router and used that IP address.

I plugged it into Onyx and it worked right away.

Hopefully office depot will take back this "Slightly used...I mean new" network card that I didnt need at all!

Thanks to everyone...all these responses within minutes of me posting for help.

Thanks!! James

Techman

wow,, u didn't mention that you had dsl,, And a router alreayd in service. At first blush i tlooked as if you were trying to connect directly from pc to printer... with no other connections...

Good call jim..

onlyjames

Ha ha, I WAS.....I probably looked extremely funny to anyone looking in on me today. Like digging for gold in front of fort knox.

I started today completely in the dark about what I was trying to do...and I didnt even expect to get it running today.

Thanks again everyone, hopefully one day I will be able to help people out. Until then....I'll keep learning.