• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please Help with Roland Versacamm Damper Change...

player

I am having problems with printing,and I know the dampers are bad because they are filled up completely with ink, and they are a year old.

I have the new dampers but I have no instructions. Anyone know of a step by step or can give me some direction?

I have the new pump to install as well.

Thanks,

P

Sabre

You'd be best off calling your dealer. If they're not around maybe try the place you got your dampers and pump from. It's not a difficult job but they can offer insights and things to watch out for and check for that aren't covered in the instructions.

I checked around but I'm not sure what did with my instructions when I changed our pump/dampers. Roland has a service bulletin for it for sure, though.

player

Well I live far enough away that it is about $1000 to get them here, and then they want a 3 hr min on top of the travel and parts.

So I need to save them for the really big stuff. I have plenty of experience working on printers and plotters, just looking for some help from this board.

P

mystysue

I think your best bet for finding that info.. If you dont have the manual is to go to the roland forums.. I know i saw some tips there on how to do alot of the maintance routines..

player

Thanks I will check on the other forum..buti s there not somebody out there who has changed their dampers?

P

player

I found this if anyone is interested:

Disconnect power, not turn off disconnect.

remove rhs front cover.
uncap heads using tool supplied.
move head carriage to left slightly
remove plastic head cover.
remove damper holding plate.
remove clear cover that covers head circuit boards.

~~procede with caution as to avoid spilling ink on head circuits~~

i ussually remove a damper by placing a large flat screwdriver between its base and the head manifold and then gently twisting the screwdriver until the damper becomes loose enough to lift out with fingers.

manifolds can be fragile so again take care.

i usually hold the damper (if it reaches) over the spit pad near the wipers just in case.

undo the brass nut and make sure the little rubber o ring stays on the pipe.

take off damper and then refit new one. ink will be drawn back towards the cartridge.

refit the damper taking care when fitting onto head manifold as again these are fragile.

re assemble parts in reverse order leave rhs cover off for now just trigger the sensor with something.

recap heads.

turn machine on and go menu-ink control-fill ink.

when you see the ink come back through the pipes and into the damper press all 4 of the arrow keys together. this will then stop the fill ink cycle and save you some ink.

P

player

When the service guy showed me how to changed them, he used needle nose pliers and pulled straight up, making a point of the "straight up".

I cannot remember if there was a bunch of ink that dripped around or not.

He also used a syringe to draw the ink back up the lines.

Someone on another forum suggested using the cleaner as a lube to put the new dampers on the heads. I would use spit or water because the cleaner can harm the rubber seals.

P

Sabre

As I recall, there was an elaborate keystroke combination required to enter service mode which is required to drop the capping station so you can move the carriage to be able to get at everything. Or can this be manipulated with the cover sensor?

I'll go have another look for my instructions. I'm already feeling foolish for not having them with the manual where I thought they were.

ChiknNutz

To drop the capping station, turn off main power. There is a tool supplied with the printer, looks like a metal tube with a slightly flattened end on it. On the bottom of the printer, under the main "guts" is an access hole. Insert the tube in there and wiggle around until you feel it seat. Then turn this to drop the capping station as req'd to move the carriage assy to the side.

player

I am really concerned with pulling off the damper. Any techniques other than the obvious don't wiggle it?

Also does the old damper dribble ink everywhere? If so, how do I deal with this?

Thanks for the tips,

P

BobbyFosson

It is possible for the original damper to drip one or two drops but all I have changed, the ink retracts back to the cartridge side. I use a pair of Needle nosed pliers to grab the flange on the left side of the damper and lift straight up. Once off, I place in ziplock back immediately, while still attached to the ink line. Then I can remove the damper from the ink line inside the ziplock back and pull out the inkline to connect to the new damper. Hope that helps a bit.