• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please Help!~!

D2S

Good morning guys,

I have been having problems with my design computer and I have been trying to fix it on and off and in between problems. I am hoping you guys can help me. What this started as was a HP and then I went and purchased a MSI motherboard that would hold a Dual Core CPU. Once I did that I purchased Vista. Please lets not turn this into a bashing Vista as I think it has more to do with the hardware and not the OPS. But everyone other month or every month or so I have the same problems where I need to do a complete restore. Optimally I would like to go out and buy a Quad Core and put this a rip station while fixing the problem. The only problem with that is money is tight in the business and in my personal life so I rather not have to go and do that. I am wondering if it might be a hardrive issue, something is wrong with the RAM or something else to make this randomly happen every other month or so. I am just hoping someone can get me back up and running so these problems will not happen again, if I really need to I will go buy the new computer. Below is what happens when I try and boot.
Trying to boot in Safe Mode.
It starts to boot the files but always hangs up with the last file on the screen being, drivers\crcdisk.sys Not quite sure what that means or what is missing from the boot sequence.
After waiting for a couple of minutes it goes into a loop of rebooting.

When booting in last known configuration or starting normally.
The Microsoft bar comes up like it is going to boot, then goes to a black screen. The screen is there for a minute or two then we go into a rebooting screen again. It keeps in this rebooting cycle.
I know I can do a restore and have to deal with this soon, but I rather fix the problem sooner than later.
Thanks
guys

D2S

Oh thanks Shovel I forgot this, I did google it and they usually say to unplug all the USB drives as windows has a tendancy to try and boot of the external hard drive and what not, sorry forgot to put that in my post, I even disconnected my wireless keyboard and mouse.

choucove

Try booting with just the bare essentials plugged in to your computer first: mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

We had a slightly older computer that was doing something similar to this before where it would unexplainably exit Windows, then get into a loop of constantly restarting, getting up to the point where Windows is loading and then restart again. I ended up finding out that it was actual a problem with the motherboard on the computer. Since it was an older computer, it wasn't worth it to just get a new motherboard to replace it (especially saying that the news was these motherboards were infamous for this issue) so we ended up upgrading.

I also had it happen once before on one of our design systems, but it was acting somewhat different. The user had plugged in the USB cable connected to their iPod and suddenly the computer shut off. It began to go in a loop, booting up and entering the startup for Windows, but would then shut off again and restart. They didn't have a re-image of the hard drive then (not too critical, she didn't have any important files saved directly to her system) and even trying to boot from the CD into a Linux Live-CD wouldn't work correctly. After I'd spent a couple days trying to debug the issue I finally just reinstalled XP and never had the problem again. I really think it was more connected with something from that iPod she connected (it has a LOT of issues.)

SignBurst PCs

that point in when windows is loading and takes a brief pause is when it is loading drivers (you can actually see the video driver load, as it flashes).

The crcdisk.sys is a block verification filter driver. If it is happening every month or so, the same exact way, then I would look to drivers. It may be a hard drive issue or file system issue as well, but I would start with drivers. There were a few workable solutions in that link. They may or may not work for you, but it is worth a try.

hammered

I had the same issue with the MSI board for this system when I first built it. It was a chipset issue and I just swapped out MBs with an ASUS M2NPV-VM. Its a gaming board but is one of the best in the bench tests for handling mad ass graphics. And its a cheap fix.

SignBurst PCs

MSI is a great motherboard company. I used them for 5 years (hundreds of computers) and had maybe 3 problems that were actually related to the boards. Drivers can be an issue though. I would highly suggest that you download all the newest drivers from their website as well as the newest drivers for your video card (if not onboard video) and for any other hardware you may have added to the board. This is ALWAYS a good idea when building a computer, but especially with Vista.