• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamme

WoW Mosh, im sorry! Unlike you I'm sure, I cant learn everything at once and I got a little confused. I know what "weeding" is, I did NOT know it was referred to as such. No, this is not a joke at all, and if it appeared so, I am sorry. I bought the equipment 4 years ago and it sat in my basement until I purchased my storefront. Our main line of business is Emergency Lighting, for Fire, EMS, Police and Tow. So we thought maybe we could do emergency lettering too, if we could learn the software. Im sorry for wasting your time. Maybe I wont return. Thanks again Fred, you lit a bulb in my head, I do remember now. :Oops:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
don't take offense to the "is this a joke?" comments and don't let them scare you off...

honestly, i think mosh gave very good advice (hiring someone who knows about signs in order to get a start on it)...unfortunately, you won't always be able to get the exact answer you need with an online forum...so it would be worth your while to have someone (even if only part time) that can actually show you how to operate the software/machinery properly....

also, it would a good idea to just "play around" in the software in your spare time....one thing i've used to help people with our omega software is giving them a jpeg of a design, and having them copy it exactly....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously, I doubt anyone is going to find an experienced person capable of teaching and showing her the ropes if she's afraid of loosing 10 ft of vinyl. She simply won't be able to afford anyone.

She really needs to find a job and get hands-on experience at a local shop...... if she is really serious. There she can ask her questions, get paid to learn and when she knows enough.... she can quit and extend her already existing business.

Whether this is a joke or someone serious about getting into the business.... when starting out.... you need to align yourself with local people that can help and support you, because when you run out of vinyl or you need an extra ink cartridge..... that's who you're gonna call.

Start meeting with your competitors and turn them into friends before you show up on the scene and appear to be stealing their customers.... or at least 'trying' to steal them.

SignManiac

Go through your "Boot leg of Flaxi 7.5" package and there should be a training CD with a live 1 on 1 help support number to call. I think you get seven days unlimited help if I remember right.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
She's gotta start somewhere!

So does a dentist, but you don't open an office and start drilling people's teeth and pulling them out without knowing what you're doing. YOU learn and then proceed.

Why has this industry become so stupid as to try and backdoor educate people. It takes more than just buying a cutter, pirated software and the need to just want to be in business.

Flailing your arms around and jumping up and down chanting doesn't exactly make you doctor.

Having a few tools and wrenches laying around for four years isn't going to give some guy a tune up, if you have to go on-line and ask where's the engine ??

You say someone has to start somewhere ??

• Try school.
  • Try vocational school.
  • Try working in a shop of what you want to train under.
  • try reading books, threads, going to the library, offering your services of cleaning a shop floor for some FREE instruction.

Why does everyone think they are owed a living just because they have to start somewhere ??

This is not a hostile post towards the OP, but towards these constantly stupid things when people say...... you have to start somewhere.

That one thought alone means you don't have the qualifications to be in this line of work if you haven't even treated this business with any respect.

If you wanna start somewhere.... do it on your own and stop saying silly things.... gotta start somewhere. :banghead:

SignManiac

^^^^Amen

I at least read the book on "learn to be a signpainter" and every other book for every piece of software and every piece of computer hardware and every book on design, business practices, color theory, and thousands of trade subscription magazines because..........there was no one to ask for the easy button.

signage

Come on people this is the USA and every one owes them! Thats all this country seems to be about any more, just help me do this so that I can take work from you and if that doesn't work I will get the government to pay me!

signage

Hey Jamme I bought some emergency lighting off e-bay and they told me they would be easy to install and meet code, but I can not remenber how they said to wire them in could you please show me how to do this? By the way this is for a 50,000 square foot building I don't think it should be to hard!

Mosh

I just cut my head open, I have a needle and thread, if someone could go through the steps with me I am sure I could stich myself back up (Rambo did it)

Come on, have a thicker skin. We are here to help, not train someone from the begining.
The guy that sold you the stuff get his money and skip town or what? Doing emergency vehicle require reflective films. Those are the hardest, and most expensive type to work with, not something to start off with. Buy a roll or oracal 651 and some tape and just cut away doing practice lettering. A roll of that is nothing compaired to wasting 10 feet of refective film. Practice your skills, then come on here with questions, not on how to make signs from scratch.

Last edited:

Jamme

Well, Lets see where do I start....... To all who have Pm'd Me and the USEFULL people who helped my wife out ...Yes that's right My Wife who I asked to jump on here and ask for help and those again who have helped THANK YOU!!! To the rest who posted the Ignorant reply's Thanks for Nothing but Ignorant remarks and comments . I thought this was a site that people help people out Not a bashing,or a shit talking site .

I was NOT looking for anyone to do my sign nor comment on how you run before you walk.... Point is Who gives a rat's ass when I started ,how I bought this set up and if I have directions and need to go to school. This is USA and last time I checked people help people out and don't talk shit.

If you have a Issue and need to talk about my post PLEASE PM me and we will talk One on One.....

J.

Mosh

I guess they don't know about the Mosh... Calm down, do a search on the site first. Just about any question can be answered by doing that. I for one was not "bashing" anyone,just telling it how it is. 1,000's of people get cricuts and think they are sign makers. I myself did 5 years as an understudy before I started my own shop 20 years ago. So coming on a site to learn in one day is not going to happen.

WE ARE HERE TO HELP. Get calm down. You sound like someone at a bar ready to throw down. That act won't fly, son.

Hope you never post an image for a review, you WILL BE PISSED then!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'd suggest press the F1 key while Flexi is open and read the help file from start to finish.
Don't try to learn it all, just read through and make a few mental notes on things to go back and re-read.
This will give you a good general idea on what Flexi can do and where to find more detailed info when you need it.

wayne k
guam usa

Mosh,
did you get that hole in your head stitched up already?

whk

SignManiac

These entitlement attitudes are getting really old fast. Your hostile defensive response is one reason you won't be seeing any help from me.

I've seen newbie requests before and based on how and what they asked for, it was my pleasure to help where I could. Based on your anger issues, I can understand why you don't have the patience to learn this on your own. Great entrance!

TheSellOut

These entitlement attitudes are getting really old fast. Your hostile defensive response is one reason you won't be seeing any help from me.

I've seen newbie requests before and based on how and what they asked for, it was my pleasure to help where I could. Based on your anger issues, I can understand why you don't have the patience to learn this on your own. Great entrance!

Oh come on now, they did get it ruff...like we all have...and I am sure we have all gotten defensive over it!

Techman

This will be the wave of the future.. Preople will be unloading their underused vinyl equipment and old software on someone who simply has no idea of what's going on.

The innocent thinks they are getting a deal. Little do they know that vinyl cutting as a money making enterprise is on life support. They do not know that vinyl work is not a easy and very inexpensive activity. Fortunately, vinyl cutting will save the new owner some money making his own stuff.

I just consulted with another local who bought a nice used Summa. The person has no idea about the hinge method, how to overlay, how to sharpen the squeegee. Nothing. This newbie didn't even know that a 2 sided yard sign is worth about $40. Had no idea about adhesive removers or that transfer tape is a use once deal.

Name brand cutters are on ebay for pennies on the dollar. So we will see more newbies asking for a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.