Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plotter Blade Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Plotters' started by Air Art Girl, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Air Art Girl

Air Art Girl Very Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    I know time is money in our business so nice sharp blades in the plotter are essential for fast easy weeding. What I was wondering is if many of you increase the force when you notice the blade isn't cutting as well or just replace it at that time. If you do increase the force, how long until you would replace the blade.

Tags:
  2. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    I might increase the depth of the cut..this will give a "fresh" edge. Dont want to EVER cut into the cutting strip tho..
    Cheers..Ken

3. Air Art Girl

Nov 26, 2006
    yeah, I know not to cut too deep but just wondering what others do before replacing the blade. Mine is pretty new, recently replaced the blade and strip.

4. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    I would try an incremental depth increase..Ken

5. Air Art Girl

Nov 26, 2006
    so in other words, you increase your depth a number of times before replacing your blade. Personally I only increase it once before replacing because I want a really clean cut for fast weeding. Just wondering what others do.

6. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    i just increase the pressure setting. No such thing as depth adjustments with a good anagraph.

7. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    If a "good" Anagraph will not allow depth setting..how good is that?
    Can 2 mil be cut same as 8 mil??
    The force of the blade determines depth of the cut? I dunno, I like the option of the blade depth.
    Ken

8. Air Art Girl

Nov 26, 2006
    bump

9. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    Degree of the blade is important for depth.When I see fine shavings of vinyl on the blade,it needs a new one

10. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

We'll increase the force a time or two at most...but after that we replace the blade. Oh...it weeds so nice after a fresh blade! ;-)

11. alanzhao

alanzhao Member

Mar 5, 2006
    last time I changed my blade the pressure was set to 140 for cast and 170 for reflective. when I put the new blade in I forgot to change the pressure back and ouch you know what happen.

12. grafxxx

grafxxx Very Active Member

May 15, 2007
    watertown ma.
    i will increase pressure till i can't use the blade...

13. cleancutblade

cleancutblade Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Waterloo
    If your blade is leaving "tags" in the corners or where the o comes together try increasing your knife offset.